A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

by Marina Lewycka, | Humor |
ISBN: 9780141020525 Global Overview for this book
Registered by gingergeoff of Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on 1/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by gingergeoff from Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 06, 2008
'Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamourous blonde Ukrainian divorcee. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.' Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must put aside a lifetime of feuding to save their emigre engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth. But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget...

Journal Entry 2 by gingergeoff from Swindon, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 29, 2008
I got up to about page 60 and gave up on this one. I had trouble getting used to the writing style - the narrative constantly switches from third to first person and there are lots of (comments) while other people are speaking in the book. It's a shame because I think it could have been very funny as the family situation lends itself to humour.

I will offer this up as a RABCK.

Sent to Ipsu as part of an exchange

Journal Entry 4 by Ipsu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 02, 2008
Wow, the book arrived yesterday. New record for Royal Mail? :)
Thank you so much gingergeoff for suggesting such a great trade. I hope that you'll enjoy Deception Point more than this one. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by Ipsu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, June 22, 2008
Great book! Thanks for the trade Gingergeoff. I really enjoyed this, just as I thought I would.

I found some of the caracter's in the book rather hilarious. The story could have been interpeted as rather depressing, but I found it to be comical. The more eccentricity the better -I say :). Thanks for the fun !