The Death of Vishnu

by Manil Suri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingtime-travelerwing of Westchester, New York USA on 11/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Sunday, November 25, 2007
Synopsis

At the opening of this masterful debut novel, Vishnu, the resident odd-job man, lies dying on the apartment building staircase he inhabits, while his neighbors, the Pathaks and the Asranis, argue over who will pay for an ambulance. As the action spirals up through the floors of the building, the dramas of the residents' lives unfold: Mr. Jalal's obsessive search for higher meaning; Vinod Taneja's longing for the wife he has lost; the comic elopement of Kavita Asrani, who fancies herself the heroine of a Hindi movie.

Suffused with Hindu mythology, this story of one apartment building becomes a metaphor for the social and religious division of contemporary India, and Vishnu's ascent of the staircase parallels the sour progress through the various stages of existence. As Vishnu closes in on the riddle of his own mortality, he begins to wonder whether he might not be the god Vishnu, guardian not only of the fate of the building and its occupants, but of the entire universe.

------------------------------------

I'm very intrigued by this description. Plus, the book came highly recommended by petaloka! Manil Suri is a new author for me.

Journal Entry 2 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Thursday, January 31, 2008
This was fantastic. It gave me chills at some points, especially the last page. I really loved it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Monday, February 18, 2008
I'm starting a Bookring with this book. Participants:
Isabelopes - Portugal - done
pell - Italy - done
tagesmann - UK - done
Llednyl - USA - (OH) - done
pammykn - USA - (AL) - done
ealasaidmae - USA - (WV) - done

Journal Entry 4 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Friday, March 14, 2008
Mailed on Monday (March 10) to Isabelopes in Portugal. The Post Office said it should arrive in 4-5 days. I know you are looking forward to reading this book so I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
I received this book some days ago but forgot to make JE right away. I apologize!

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 6 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Sent today to Pell in Canino - Italy

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 7 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, May 24, 2008
Thankyou Isabellopes, arrived safe and sound today with 2 other books so will try to read it asap , looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 8 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Monday, June 16, 2008
I found this book quite moving, and beautifully written, will be looking for more of his novels

Journal Entry 9 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Thursday, July 03, 2008
Sorry I havent journalled but have had probs with computer, but book has been posted on to the next person

Journal Entry 10 by tagesmann on Friday, July 04, 2008
Arrived safely this morning.

Journal Entry 11 by tagesmann on Friday, August 15, 2008
Very dark and funny in places and strangely moving in others. Lovely writing.

Journal Entry 12 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Came in the mail today, thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by Llednyl from Marysville, Ohio USA on Friday, September 05, 2008
Nicely written, absolutely fantastic imagery - very moving in places. Dark, but beautiful. I especially loved the whole section about mangoes. However, I had a problem with a lot of the characters. They just didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities. It certainly made it more realistic, but as a result the book lost a lot of hold with me. A worthwhile read though, thanks for sharing! I have pammykn's address and will send the book off soon.

Journal Entry 14 by Llednyl at -- Mail, post, or by hand, Alabama USA on Friday, September 05, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/5/2008 UTC) at -- Mail, post, or by hand, Alabama USA

Sent off to pammykn this afternoon.

Journal Entry 15 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Sunday, September 14, 2008
Thanks looking forward to reading (have a few other rings to get to before starting this one).

Journal Entry 16 by pammykn from Decatur, Alabama USA on Sunday, November 16, 2008
Sorry for holding on to this one for so long. I have contacted the next person on the list & will mail off as soon as possible. I will finish up another time, I did like what I read & thanks so much for sharing this book w/ me.

11/17/08 sending off to ealasaidmae.

Journal Entry 17 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008
It's here!

Journal Entry 18 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2008
I stayed up late tonight to finish this book and really enjoyed it! I also had a problem with some of the characters. There were places where I really wanted to slap them around. The story itself, and all of the lush imagery, were lovely. I'll put this out in the mail tomorrow, time-traveler. Thank you for the opportunity to read it!

Journal Entry 19 by ealasaidmae from New Orleans, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, December 03, 2008
mailed home today

Journal Entry 20 by wingtime-travelerwing from Westchester, New York USA on Friday, December 05, 2008
It's here with me now. Thanks for participating in the ring!

Journal Entry 21 by wingtime-travelerwing at Bizarre Fiction Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Friday, July 31, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/31/2009 UTC) at Bizarre Fiction Bookbox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Into the Bizarre Fiction Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Picked from the bizzare bookbox. I have been curious to read this for a while.

Journal Entry 23 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014
A very interesting story, I like how the author slowly introduces one character after another and tells each's story. It's like a tapestry of many colors and he focuses on one after another area to illuminate. Beautifully and vividly written, and totally engrossing. I hope it ends well for all the characters.

Released 5 yrs ago (5/3/2014 UTC) at Brunch Club & Supper (OBCZ) in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong City Hong Kong

Hi! How wonderful you've found one of my books! Thank you so much for checking out the journal. I would really appreciate if you can take a moment to let me know you have it now. Trust me, it'll totally make my day to hear from one of my "wild" books.

Bookcrossing is a wonderful online community of book lovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. We are also curious to see how far and wide our books can travel. I would appreciate if you can make a journal entry on this book so we know where the book has been. You don't have to set up an account.

Feel free to keep this book, return it to where you found it, or pass it on to the next reader. If you sign up as a member, you will hear from the book as it travels and gets journaled. Feel free to explore the BookCrossing site, and visit our forum to meet other booklovers. Membership is confidential, free, and spam-free. Happy reading!