Welcome to the Bangkok Slaughterhouse: The Battle for Human Dignity in Bangkok's Bleakest Slums

by Joe Maier | Nonfiction |
Registered by book-man-8 of Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on 11/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
These are facts about life in one of the worst slums of Bangkok. Short portraits of people - children - astutely written by Father Joe Maier, an American who has been living and working there for many years. He writes the pictures of those children better than if they were painted by a master! It's not an easy life, where drugs and HIV/Aids rule. But there is always hope and the inhabitants of the slum are self-conscious and proud; and they have every reason to be. An impoprtant testimonial of present-day Bangkok. Not a big book, compelling to read.

I make a bookray out of it. The following bookcrossers read along:

"Bookcloud" from Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom
"thursoexile" from Newry, United Kingdom
"nynjagrrrl" from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, USA (US pref. int'l if necessary)
"penelopewanders" from Hasliberg, Switzerland (Europe only)

This one is off to "Bookcloud".

Journal Entry 3 by Bookcloud from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
Received today....thankyou. Almost halfway through already so should be on its way in a few days.

Journal Entry 4 by Bookcloud from Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2007
Thankyou for sharing this book. A very easy, quick read. Poignant stories to make one think about how some people have to live.
Will be on its way to Thursoexile tomorrow. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 5 by thursoexile on Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Just recieved and looking forward to it....

Journal Entry 6 by thursoexile on Friday, January 25, 2008
Good easy read, thank you very touching.. On its way asap..

Journal Entry 7 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
This came in the mail yesterday. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, February 21, 2008
This was an eye opening book. I never knew how things were for people that live in this area of the world.

Journal Entry 9 by nynjagrrrl from Elkhorn, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, March 01, 2008
I sent this book off to the next reader.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Wow, that was quick delivery. Thanks so much for sending this and Book-man-8, for making a ray of this. As I'll be in Thailand a month this summer, I guess this is required reading. I'll be staying with family there - for all I know, they may know the author.
Not sure how soon I'll get to it as I have a few other things to do and read first. I seem to be at the end of the ray (am I mistaken?) so may wait until closer to the summer before reading it. If it needs to go elsewhere soon, please let me know.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, May 23, 2008
I ended up lending this to some people - who don't do bookcrossing, despite my best efforts :( before I finally got to it, and all of them enjoyed it very much.
Interesting read, although the newspaper article format kept things from going very far or getting very intense or, to my mind, being as moving as the situations described sometimes would have deserved.
Thank you so much for making this important book available. I realized that someone I know had told me about his friend, Father Joe, so as I read I was able to complete the stories with some tales I'd heard from this other person who works with street children in Nepal.
I'll probably offer this ray up for further travels soon.

WelshHelen (UK) will post int'l
spaceystacy (USA) US shipping only
FeralREader (USA) anywhere
kplatypus (USA)(not responding to PMs, so being skipped)
Supertalya (USA APO) anywhere
PRCS (Canada) surface only
Breeze553 (Portugal) Europe only<-- it's here

This ray is now on its way to the UK to continue its travels.

Journal Entry 13 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, July 12, 2008
Arrived safely during the last week, thanks, penelopewanders. I've got another ring book ahead of it but will read it asap :-)

Journal Entry 14 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, August 09, 2008
This ring is travelling, but this article from the Bangkok Post was sent to me today, thought you'd all be interested:
Bush to visit US priest in Bangkok slum

By DENIS D. GRAY – 2 days ago

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) — When Father Joe heard that President Bush was to visit
children in Bangkok's largest slum, the first thing the American priest did was
ask them: "Do you want to meet him?"

Rev. Joseph H. Maier, a tough, no-nonsense man who mixes easily with drug
pushers, thugs and prostitutes, is hardly known for being deferential — even
when it comes to the president of the United States.

"We always ask our children when anyone and everyone is coming to visit, because
it is their home — the only home they have — and they heartily agreed," he said
before Bush's scheduled visit on Thursday.

"The children see him as a kind uncle coming to visit, not in his official
position."

Bush, on a three-country tour of Asia, will spend some time at the Mercy Centre
and Human Development Foundation. Maier, a native of Longview, Wash., started
the foundation nearly 40 years ago to aid often desperate residents of the vast
Klong Toey slum.

Ministering first to a small Catholic community of slaughterhouse workers in the
grimiest depths of the slum, the 69-year-old priest now looks after a shelter
for street kids, four orphanages, a hospice, kindergartens for more than 4,100
slum toddlers and a home for mothers and children with HIV/AIDS. Most of those
helped are Buddhists.

His work has earned him international awards and honors from Thailand's
respected monarchy although he's challenged authorities, plied officials with
whiskey to bend the rules and cut deals with the criminally inclined in defense
of his turf and charges, especially the children.

"There are geniuses, poets, artists and physicians among the kids who call Mercy
their home, and yet they are labeled as Klong Toey children and not the
children who are worthy of proper education and jobs," he said.

"The visit of Mr. Uncle President is telling them they are of great value, and
not to believe any of the bad stuff people might say," the priest said.

He said his children would be asking Bush to carry a message back to youngsters
in America: "Yes, things are tough here in Thailand. The streets and slums are
rough. We have been beaten up, used and abused, but today is fine and tomorrow
is going to be even better and today we are going to have as much fun as we
possibly can."

Journal Entry 15 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, August 24, 2008
Hmmm... a very "worthy" sort of book which I found quite disappointing in many ways. Like penelopewanders, I found the book less intense and emotional that I expected. I didn't feel that I really got to know the people and in many ways felt quite removed from the plight of the children. I hope that it's not a case of becoming impervious to life's tragedies!

I have spaceystacy's address and will post on to her on Monday.

Thanks for shring - again! - penelopewanders :-)

Journal Entry 16 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Posted to spaceystacy today.

Journal Entry 17 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, September 02, 2008
Received in the post today. Expected to read this weekend.

03/04/2009 I don't know how I misplaced this wonderful read about a priest who works/living in one of the poorest areas of Bangkok and tries to bring peace and dignity to the children, well really all of the residents there, but especially the children.

03/04/2009 As I have had the address for months, I am posting this read out to the next reader this a.m. before I beging my day at work.

Journal Entry 18 by FeralReader from Davis, California USA on Friday, March 13, 2009
I'm away from home for a few days, but my DH reported that this book arrived on Wednesday, and he read me the BCID so I could make this journal entry. Thanks!

Journal Entry 19 by FeralReader from Davis, California USA on Wednesday, April 01, 2009
Father Joe's straightforward and compassionate storytelling approach really appealed to me. I wondered how the workers keep their spirits up against such overwhelming odds. Are there no stories of children who have left the Slaughterhouse and become part of the larger world? Perhaps this book conveys the truth of a different kind of success, though; that of people who overcome their circumstances not by leaving them but by rising above them while still living within their limits. I would like to know more about the cooperative relationship between the Catholics and Buddhists who share in the work of caring for the children and hospice patients. It would be fascinating to read an account from their shared perspective.

May all beings be well, may all beings be happy. Peace, peace, peace.

Will seek kplatypus' addy and mail ASAP.

Thanks all for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 20 by FeralReader from Davis, California USA on Sunday, May 03, 2009
Wanted to make a quick journal entry to confirm that this book is currently in the post to supertalya, who lives in Seoul, Korea. The month of April was full of surprises and challenges for me, and I find I can't remember the exact date the parcel made it to the post office (sorry), but it's been more than a week and should arrive before long. Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 21 by Supertalya on Tuesday, July 21, 2009
I received this in the mail today. I have been on vacation for a couple of months so I don't know when it came in. I should finish it within the next month or so. I have a couple of rings before it.

I really enjoyed this novel. It is such a wonderful thing that Father Joe is doing. Each story was a great addition and it built on to each story.

I am not done yet but I wanted to note that the next reader asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 22 by Breeze553 on Thursday, August 06, 2009
The book arrived today!
I'll start reading it asap.