Between, Georgia

by Joshilyn Jackson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by alsgal of Lewes, Delaware USA on 11/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Jackson's author biography reveals her to be a "former actor," but listeners will guess that for themselves from the first few tracks of this wonderfully realized audiobook. Her brand of Southern fiction was born to be read out loud, with its quirky characters and astute observations about human nature. And Jackson herself is the one to do it; it's clear throughout the narration that she's having a raucous time as raconteur. As she spills forth the story of Nonny, a young Georgia woman caught in the tumble of a feud between her adoptive and biological families, there is palpable energy and sustained warmth. What is especially surprising is how skillfully Jackson manages the large array of divergent character voices, from the calm, matter-of-fact tones of Nonny's adopted mother to the wild redneck sensibility of her biological grandmother. Particularly delicious is Jackson's nasal, braying inflection to portray Nonny's bossy and narrow-minded aunt Bernise. The one place Jackson's dexterity falls short is in the novel's male voices, which sometimes fall flat. Otherwise, this is a delight from start to finish.

Journal Entry 2 by alsgal from Lewes, Delaware USA on Wednesday, November 14, 2007
I absolutely loved this book. I really loved gods in Alabama but loved this one even more.

Read her blog regularly at http://www.joshilynjackson.com/mt/ and wait with baited breath for her next book.

Reserving this copy for my Boxing Day Partner over on bookobsessed.com. I'm so excited to be able to share some of my favorite reads with my partner.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
received from my Boxing Day partner. Thanks!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, June 18, 2011
This is a Hatfield/McCoy feud story. Nonny has been raised by the Fretts but her biological family is the Crabtrees. Nonny's adoptive mother, Stacie is deaf and talented at making dolls heads, her twin sister is extremely reclusive and the older sister of the bunch, Bernese is just plain crazy.

The Crabtrees are as redneck as you come even to owning the rapid and dangerous dogs.

Nonny is the go-between for these two families. She is also somewhat separated from her husband. Henry Crabtree, a decent man is interested in Nonny but sort of gets lost in the shuffle

This book is excellent and Jackson can portray all these various types of women very well but where I feel the story is weak is in the male voices of the story. Henry, Noony's husband and especially Bernese's husband seem to be wimpish and hardly there

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 02, 2011
Reading now!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 08, 2011
Between, Georgia is a very small town with a large amount of drama. Nonny Frett biologically is a member of the Crabtree family but was adopted by the Frett family, their bitter enemies. Nonny's mother is a blind, deaf, and extremely talented at making dolls. One of her aunts is a recluse and the other is overbearing.

When one of the Crabtree's dogs attacks her aunt, the feud between the two families starts to bubble over. Nonny tries to be the mediator but she has her hands full trying to get a divorce and understand why her aunt is taking out anger towards her daughter on her niece.

Jackson has a gift for making books page turners and crafting characters that you can connect to, whether you like them or hate them. I found myself flipping ahead in this book to figure out what was going to happen, which is something I rarely do. After this book, Joshilyn Jackson has replaced Jodi Picoult as my favourite family drama writer.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 28, 2011
This book is back with me :)

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 03, 2013
My mom, AceofHearts, passed away from breast cancer on September 17, 2013. Aside from being one of the best people I know, she was an avid reader and took immense pleasure in Bookcrossing, her book club, and reading many great books.

I will be releasing this in my mom's memory.

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 03, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/2/2017 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience and I do hope you will use my mom, AceofHearts, as a referring member.

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookgirrlwing at Acton, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 03, 2017
This book was one of many at a fun Toronto Bookcrossers meetup, where we welcomed SqueakyChu & co. from Maryland. The cover grabbed my attention, and it looks like a good read. I have a sister-in-law in Atlanta, GA, who is originally from Mississippi. Maybe I can get more insight into what life is like living in The South from this book. And, I will think of Ace of Hearts too, as I read it.