Five Plays

by Peter Ustinov | Plays & Scripts |
Registered by giveusadrink on 11/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by giveusadrink on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
I do wish someone would get this book off my hands shelves. I have two copies. Considering the size of my living accommodations, that is an obscene extravagance.

Now off with kizmiaz in Portugal, who kindly requested it.

Journal Entry 2 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, July 21, 2008
Got it. Thank you very much for sharing.

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, June 20, 2009
I must confess that I’m not much of a fan of reading plays, but after reading two novels by Peter Ustinov I just had to give this one a try and I’m very glad that I did.
The plays all deal either with the stupidity of war or the stupidity of man, although as we well know these two walk hand in hand most of the time. Another recurrent theme is death and it’s dealt with in a brilliant and funny way.
Even though they were writen quite a few years ago I think they are timeless in the sense that the world moves pretty much the same way it did when they were performed.
There’s a lot of seriousness even in the comedy and a lot of humour in the dramas, it’s certainly worth the read.
Now a play by play comment:
- Romanof and Juliet
This was a great! I loved the whole plot and the idea that such a small country could create such a mess. The humour is pure genius and the most serious thoughts are told in the most hilarious ways.

- The Moment of Truth
This was also a funny one, especially the first two acts and then it gets deadly serious and dramatic.

- Beyond
Short but sweet. It hits the issue of life and death right on the head.

- The Love of Four Colonels
Another funny/serious piece about war and love. I liked it although some parts eluded me.

- No Sign of the Dove
- Brilliant stuff! What a sorry bunch of characters that gets its just deserts. Loved it. Especially the way Mathew deals with his family.

Now I'm sending it to conto because I think she'll like it.

Journal Entry 4 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
With me now. Thanks a lot K, it's been a while since I've read some plays...

Journal Entry 5 by wingcontowing from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Saturday, July 04, 2009
I do like reading plays and this is kind of an understatement! ;-)
I'm sorry I forget it so often...

I liked this Ustinov's 5 Plays a lot, especially The Moment of Truth (a bit too long though; the first acts are absolutely brilliant) and the last one, No Sign of the Dove.

I agree with the comments from kizmiaz and feel I haven't much more to add.
Just: thanks a lot for this opportunity!

(The pic I chose is from Ustinov playing Nero in Quo Vadis, a most brilliant performance, the only thing that makes the film worthwhile, as a matter of fact)

Journal Entry 6 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, July 15, 2009
And it's back home, I'm glad you liked it conto.

Journal Entry 7 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, January 13, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/13/2011 UTC) at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

sent as a part o ELHUrricane's virtual BBOx

Journal Entry 8 by wingArvoreswing at Viana do Castelo, Viana do Castelo Portugal on Sunday, January 30, 2011
It's with me now. I'm sorry for taking so long to JE, but I've been away for some time.
I'll be back to you as soon as I read it.
Thanks for sharing.