corner corner Geordie's Mingin Medicine (Itchy Coo) (Itchy Coo)

Geordie's Mingin Medicine (Itchy Coo) (Itchy Coo)
by Roald Dahl | Children's Books
Registered by smurphie of Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on 11/12/2007

status (set by smurphie): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, November 12, 2007

This is Roald Dahl's book traslated into the Scots language.

Geordie's grannie wis a grabbie crabbit auld wumman wi peeliwally broon teeth and a wee snirkit-up mooth like a dug's bahookie. She wis aye compleenin, girnin, greetin, gummlin and mulligrumphin aboot somethin or ither. She wis a meeserable auld grumph.

Journal Entry 2 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The order of this ring is:-

VeganMedusa - New Zealand

gillg - Australia (Will ship internationally)

KiwiinEngland - Ireland

ZAS - UK

then home to me Smurphie

Journal Entry 3 by smurphie at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Released 9 yrs ago (12/6/2007 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom

Heading off to New Zealand on the first part of it's travels.

Journal Entry 4 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Friday, December 28, 2007

Thanks Smurphie for the book, the dictionary, the postcard and the bookmark! I haven't found an atlas yet that has Banchory in it, so will have to google or wiki it.
The book arrived this morning and I was lucky enough to be able to lie in bed and read it (lovely hubby even brought me breakfast). I hadn't read the book since I was a kid so I didn't remember what happened, so I enjoyed it for the story as well as the language.
I think Roald Dahl really suits the Scots dialect! They've both got a poetic way with words, I think.
I've PMed gillg for an address so will post it Monday - meanwhile my hubby's mother and sister, who are staying with us at the moment, are reading it. :)

Journal Entry 5 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Posted today to gillg. :)

Journal Entry 6 by gillg from South Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, January 14, 2008

Recieved this evening when I got home from work. I am so going to love this! Like Veganmedusa it will be doing the rounds amongst my Scottish friends and parents before heading to KiwiinEngland.

Mailed to Ireland yesterday 6/2/08- enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, February 14, 2008

Received from Australia. Hello everyone down under!!

Journal Entry 8 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sorry for the delay on this book.

I loved the illustrations, and the feel of the words in the book.

And my god, it has given me respect for children and adults who are learning to read...it really is quite difficult and you just KNOW that there is a great free flowing story there, if you could only get the words to string together.

Will post out to ZAS tomorrow.

Thanks smurphie - you're a star

Journal Entry 9 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Attention all Participants of this ring.

The latest book of Roald Dahl to be translated into Scots s now out - The Sleekit Mr Tod aka The fantastic Mr Fox.

If you are interested in taking part please check out the post in the Bookring Forum and PM me :o)

Journal Entry 10 by kiwiinengland from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, April 05, 2008

Posted on fifth April 2008 to next participant

Journal Entry 11 by ZAS from Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Arrived by post this morning. It looks excellent and I am looking forward to reading it! As I'm last on the list I'd like to get my kids to read it too if thats ok.

Journal Entry 12 by ZAS from Thrapston, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Absolutely hilarious! My daughter tried reading this herself, but spent more time referring to the Scots/English dictionary, so we've been reading it at bedtime. I'm not sure if she's been laughing at my seriously bad attempt at a Scottish accent, or the book itself, but its been great fun! Thanks for sharing Smurphie, its on its way back to you.

Journal Entry 13 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, August 01, 2008

Arrived home this morning thank you to all participants for taking part.