Meridon

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 11/11/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 11, 2007
From the Publisher
Meridon knows she does not belong in the dirty, vagabond life of a gypsy bareback rider. The half-remembered vision of another life burns in her heart, even as her beloved sister, Dandy, risks everything for their future. Alone, Meridon follows the urgings of her dream, riding in the moonlight past the rusted gates, up the winding drive to a house -- clutching the golden clasp of the necklace that was her birthright -- home at last to Wideacre. The lost heir of one of England''s great estates would take her place as its mistress....

Crowning the extraordinary trilogy that began with Wideacre and The Favored Child, Meridon is a rich, impassioned tapestry of a young woman''s journey from dreams to glittering drawing rooms and elaborate deceits...from a simple hope to a deep and fulfilling love. Set in the savage contrasts of Georgian England -- a time alive with treachery, grandeur, and intrigue -- Meridon is Philippa Gregory''s masterwork.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 03, 2008
This is the third in the Wideacre series. Meridon is a poor gypsy girl who dreams of estates and escape from the extreme poverty she lives in. She also dreams of escaping the abuse of her father. Her father sells her and her sister to a travelling show. Meridon is a practical hard-working girl and her sister is a beautiful and impatient thief. Meridon learns how to ride bareback while her sister learns to fly on the trapeze. Meridon wishes to protect her sister at all costs. The owner of the travelling show is a cold man who will jettison anyone not pulling their weight. Her sister (Dandy) comes up with a way to escape their life by becoming pregnant with the owner's son. Dandy hasn't reckoned on being murdered by that same young man.

Meridon runs away and finds the estate she has been dreaming of all her life. She is the owner. Her life changes from having nothing to having everything. But inside she is cold and unemotional. She finds out that rich or poor there are still cheats, rogues and selfish people. But who can she trust??

I found the first part of the book a little slow but once I got into the story I just couldn't put it down. I am sorry to see the end of the series.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 16, 2008
mailed today to my Boxing Day Partner

Journal Entry 4 by zosime from Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Friday, December 26, 2008
Thank you thank you! I have been very impatient to read the rest of this series.

Journal Entry 5 by zosime at Marshfield, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Oh dear, another book I forgot to journal! Thank you so much for sharing this one with me so I could finish the story. I was very happy with how things wrapped up. What a relief to see a member of this family finally find a bit of peace!