Late Nights on Air

by Elizabeth Hay | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingPooker3wing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 11/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2007
Giller Prize winner!
I was going to put this book on my Christmas list, but then I found out there was a shortage.

I googled my local bookstore. They had three copies, but when I went they were all gone!!

So when I found this copy at another store, I snatched it up, much to my partner's annoyance (he has dibs on my Christmas list).

But what if they were all gone by the time he went shopping, huh?

Journal Entry 2 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, December 31, 2007
This makes three of the Giller Prize shortlist I've read and if I were judge and jury I do not know which I'd pick as the winner among them (the others being Divisadero and Effigy).

I found Divisadero to be complex, poetic and "arty". I had to work at understanding it. Effigy was interesting and unusual, largely because the subject matter was something I'd not much thought about. And I was intrigued to understand it. But Late Nights required no work or intrigue to enjoy. It was as comfortable a read as I've ever had. Although I've not worked for a radio station, I've worked in a small office and understand how relationships and bonds, however tenuous and short or long lived, are formed among the few. And although I've never been to the Arctic, I grew up in shield country and have taken the odd over water trip, been caught in unexpected weather, have just about frozen to death (well okay, not to death, but frozen feet and fingers), have encountered bears and wolves, and loons, and flies and mosquitos! And have examined with wonder the minute and the grandly beautiful. So it was with exquisite luxury and appreciation that I read this book. Hay's descriptions of the landscape, the flora and fauna were authentic and lovely. I especially liked the sound effects - both that Gwen developed and used on air and the "real" ones - the crackling of the lichen, the bubbling of saliva, the tinkling of the ice.

But with familiarity comes contempt, I suppose, and I have to say that I did not like Hay's frequent hints and forewarnings (both blatant and thinly-veiled)of misfortune. I really wonder why she did this. I knew, as I suspect any Canadian would know, and her characters ought to have known, there would be misfortune and exactly the misfortune that befell them. I disliked Hay telling me to watch for things to which I was already in tune.

That said, the forewarnings did not diminish those unfortunate events for me. They were real. I was shocked, actually, to discover that the description of the bear attack took only a few paragraphs. I lived it like Gwen did in much longer time. So too did I battle the wind to exhaustion with Ralph but, again, in seemingly too few paragraphs.

Overall a beautiful and surprisingly yet pleasingly familiar book to read.

My 2nd read for John Mutford's Canadian Book Challenge.

Journal Entry 3 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, January 09, 2008
This book is heading up north to jmutford in Iqaluit to, hopefully, be read for John's Canadian Book Challenge.

The Post Office said it'll get there in 10 to 12 days, depending... :)

I hope it gets there before July 1st!

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by jmutford from Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Canada on Tuesday, June 10, 2008
This was a present from Pooker for the Canadian Book Challenge. I loved it. http://bookmineset.blogspot.com/2008/04/readers-diary-346-elizabeth-hay-late.html Sorry searchers, I'm keeping this one (I collect Northern themed books, plus I enjoyed it too much to part with it).

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Vanderhoof, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, December 09, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was passed on to me by John Mutford when I won a contest. So, you see, he did part with it after all (I think he had acquired another copy if I remember correctly). Now it's my turn to release it (I've kept it far too long) and will be taking it to Prince George, where hopefully someone else will see it and take it home. The book is still in very good condition, almost like new.

Journal Entry 6 by KarenBC at Prince George, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, February 06, 2013
What a delight to find this BookCrossing book on the traveling book shelf at the Prince George Public Library. Wonderful to see all the places it has already traveled.

I'm going to pass it along to my mother in Lac La Hache, BC - she is an avid reader.

Journal Entry 7 by KarenBC at Lac La Hache, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (2/6/2013 UTC) at Lac La Hache, British Columbia Canada

The next leg of it's adventure is taking this book to the Cariboo in British Columbia.