Sitting Opposite My Brother

by David Bergen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 11/10/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 10, 2007
I found this at the Millennium Library used book sale. It's not in the greatest shape; soft from handling and tatty cover, but I figure it should have a couple of reads left in it.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, November 15, 2009
My introduction to David Bergen came with his book, The Case of Lena S. I loved that book. While I enjoyed The Time in Between, it was less so than with the first. I have not read the Retreat and based on the reviews I've read, despite its being set in the part of the Country that I love best, I may not. I thought that I might recapture the "love" by reading this book of short stories, written earlier than any of the forgoing works.

Unfortunately though, I found these stories to be disappointing. I'm not sure why that is. They were all readable enough. The situations the characters found themselves in were interesting enough. In "The Bottom of the Glass", a man is dealing with the death of his child by drowning (in his neighbour's swimming pool). In Sitting Opposite My Brother, a man is dealing with the return of his brother from missionary work in Indonesia. In "The Fall" a man is left to deal with his difficult daughter when his wife leaves. All interesting, if somewhat ordinary, circumstances, but I just didn't get or fully appreciate the "dealing with" that these men needed to do. Perhaps it was just a gender difference. Perhaps it had more to do with the underlying spiritual aspects (Bergen's Mennonite back ground - although that alone probably doesn't explain it because I adore all of Miriam Toews' work. By the same token though, I almost always have trouble with Rudy Wiebe's.) All in all I found the stories okay if somewhat ho hum except for the very last, "La Rue Prevette" which, despite it also being about a man dealing with the "stuff" of life, was somehow different and it made me glad I'd read through to the end.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at York Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, November 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/21/2009 UTC) at York Avenue in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

On top of the parking paystation outside 390 York Avenue.

Released for week #47 of the Never Judge a Book by its Cover release challenge. Actually I meant to release it last week for week #46. It fit the theme "fire on the cover", but I forgot to do it. Luckily this week's theme (furniture on the cover) works too! There's a chair next to the fireplace!

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know or even release it back into the wild as I did. If you make a journal entry (either anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!

I hope you enjoy this book and the BookCrossing experience.