The Bridge of San Luis Rey

by Thornton Wilder | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by varykino of Greenfield Park, Québec Canada on 11/8/2007
Journal Entry 1 by varykino from Greenfield Park, Québec Canada on Thursday, November 08, 2007
Wilder's second book, this novel won him the first of his three Pulitzer Prizes. It opens in the aftermath of an inexplicable tragedy - a tiny footbridge in Peru breaks, and five travelers hurtle to their deaths. For humble Franciscan friar Brother Juniper who witnessed the catastrophe, the question is inescapable: Why those five? Suddenly Brother Juniper is committed to discover what manner of lives these five disparate people led - and whether it was divine intervention that took their lives, or a capricious fate.

Journal Entry 2 by varykino from Greenfield Park, Québec Canada on Thursday, November 08, 2007
mailed to fellow bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, July 15, 2008
It didn't really take all this time for the book to get to me. I received it a number of months ago as a RABCK from varykino. However, it came without a BCID in it and it took this long for varykino and I to get our act together to connect the BCID with the book. Now that I have finally "caught" it I shall have to read it. Maybe on summer holidays in about a month. Thanks for your generous gift varykino.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Sorry varykino it took me a little longer to read this than summer holidays. But when I did sit down to read it I found it to be fast and fascinating.

I saw the movie made from this book (made in 2004 starring Kathy Bates, Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel) but I was somewhat puzzled by the ending. Reading the book made the ending clearer although I would have liked a better explanation as to why Brother Juniper was convicted of heresy and burned. Maybe it is enough to know that this book is set at the time of the Spanish Inquisition and almost anyone could be found heretical. Brother Juniper accepted the decision of the church but I have a hard time with it. And so did the Abbess it seems:
The night before she had torn an idol from her heart and the experience had left her pale but firm. She had accepted the fact that it was of no importance whether her work went on or not; it was enough to work...It seemed to be sufficient for Heaven that for a while in Peru a disinterested love had flowered and faded.

That seems very sad to me. And yet, the ending is one of the most beautiful thoughts:
But soon we shall die and all memory of those five will have left the earth, and we ourselves shall be loved for a while and forgotten. But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.

Again thanks to varykino. I'm not sure how I will pass this along. I'm waiting for inspiration to strike me.

Journal Entry 5 by winggypsysmomwing at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Saturday, October 18, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/18/2008 UTC) at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium

Xana had this book on her wishlist and since it was a RABCK from varykino I thought it would be nice to send it to her as a RABCK. It was mailed by air mail so it should get to Belgium quite quickly. I hope you enjoy it.

I included one of the bookmarks and one of the postcards that varykino sent with the book. I'm sure someone who lives in Belgium will be able to read French.

This release is for the 2008 RABCK challenge, the 2008 Keep Them Moving challenge and the 2008 Never Judge a Book by its Cover challenge - Week 41 (free for all).

Journal Entry 6 by Xana from Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Got it yesterday, and all the way from Canada!

Thanks gypsysmom!