The Star Beast [Library]

by Robert A. Heinlein | Audiobooks |
ISBN: 9781933322742 Global Overview for this book
Registered by KathyB25 of Arlington, Texas USA on 11/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by KathyB25 from Arlington, Texas USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
Reserved for BookObsessed TeenVBB

Unabridged Audiobook - original - 8CDs

Lummox had been the Stuart family pet for years. Though far from cuddly and rather large, it had always been obedient and docile. Except, that is, for the time it had eaten the secondhand Buick . . .
But now, all of a sudden and without explanation, Lummox had begun chomping down on a variety of things — not least, a very mean dog and a cage of virtually indestructible steel. Incredible!
John Thomas and Lummox were soon in awfully hot water, and they didn't know how to get out. And neither one really understood just how bad things were — or how bad the situation could get — until some space voyagers appeared and turned a far-from-ordinary family problem into an extraordinary confrontation.

Journal Entry 2 by KathyB25 from Arlington, Texas USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2008
On it's way to Appa - Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 27, 2008
This has arrived safely. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Monday, April 27, 2009
Couldn't get into this one, hopefully the next listener enjoys it!

Journal Entry 5 by appaloosatb at BookObsessed VBB, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/27/2009 UTC) at BookObsessed VBB, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases

To azuki.

Released as part of the Ultimate Challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
It's here. thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2009
I expect this to be a more childen fiction but I would think all that political talk will be boring. I still enjoy the book but if it had cut down on that political stuff I think it would make a tighter, more engaging tale. The overall concept is nonetheless very brilliant.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Carlissa's Audio Book Box, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/18/2009 UTC) at Carlissa's Audio Book Box, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting into Carlissa's Audio Bookbox.
Thanks for arranging it! Look forward to round 4!

Journal Entry 9 by carlissa from Gainesville, Florida USA on Monday, August 31, 2009
Took this out of round 4 of my CD audio bookbox. I copied to my ipod to listen to another time. Put in round 5 of my CD audio bookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by wingk00kaburrawing from San Jose, California USA on Monday, September 14, 2009
I might be keeping this one. Haven't decided for sure yet.

Journal Entry 11 by wingk00kaburrawing at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at Snail Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Decided not to keep this one after all.
Putting back into carlissa's Audio CD Bookbox!

Journal Entry 12 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 19, 2010
I am taking this from carlissa's CD audiobox! Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Sunday, August 14, 2011
This book is going into this great CD book box. Happy Travels!

Journal Entry 14 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011
I might be keeping this one.

Journal Entry 15 by wingk00kaburrawing at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (9/8/2011 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

I've decided not to keep this one after all. Putting back in booklady331's Audio CD Bookbox!

Journal Entry 16 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, October 04, 2011
Pulled this one out of booklady331's CD-only AudioBookBox, which arrived over the weekend.

Sci-fi is kind of hard for me to read or listen to, but I welcome a title every now and then, especially when it's by one of the "biggies" like this guy.....

Journal Entry 17 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2012
Though I'm not the science fiction many other folks are (I read maybe a title or two a year), I'm somewhat familiar with some writers of the genre, mainly from having read a lot of it while in the Navy.

For as long as this was, it didn't drag on, and was a captivating enough story.

will release into a box.....

Released 7 yrs ago (1/17/2012 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Am putting this into my "Another CD-Only AudioBookBox" for round two! Hope this finds a good home!

Journal Entry 19 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, March 06, 2012
This book has made a short stop at my house. It will continue on its journey until it finds its new home.

Journal Entry 20 by Moody-Blue at McDonald, Tennessee USA on Sunday, March 25, 2012
Sci-Fi is far down my list of Faves too, but the few Heinleins that I've read have been creative enough to keep me interested. Thanks for tossing it in the box! :)

Journal Entry 21 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Friday, January 29, 2016
Reviewers who ask for less politics in favor of the children's story are missing the point. This book is a parable, meant to highlight the fact that life forms who believe they are superior to others are often SERIOUSLY mistaken and in grave need of a change in perspective. The hubris it takes to think that, in fact, proves that they lack a higher level of education.

Maybe that jumped out at me because just last night I finished listening to Ta-Nehisi Coates read "Between the World and Me" -- a book with the same point, but delivered in a very different way.

In any case, The Star Beast is a worthwhile read -- especially for the pre-teen sci-fi fan.

Journal Entry 22 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, October 16, 2016
Offered up during Round 14 of booklady331's Virtual CD ONLY Bookbox.

Journal Entry 23 by Moody-Blue at Meers, Oklahoma USA on Sunday, February 05, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (2/7/2017 UTC) at Meers, Oklahoma USA

Headed to another Heinlein fan in MN. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 24 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 11, 2017
Arrived here safely today. Wow, a full-cast performance! Thank you for sharing this, Moody-Blue. I'm really looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 25 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Thursday, July 27, 2017
DH & I both listened to this, and debated whether to rate it nine or ten stars. Since I'm writing the JE, I get the deciding vote, in favor of ten.

First of all, this is a remarkably good adaptation. I LOVED the complete dramatization! I checked the Full Cast Audio site, and they seem to do more YA & children's books than adult, but I'll keep an eye out for more of their work. Not all of the voices were as I'd imagine them, but Lummox had exactly the baby girl's voice described, and Mr. Kiku was utter perfection.

The book itself is an example of Heinlein's most successful work. It's a good, suspenseful adventure story, with plenty of humor and the snappy dialogue that's one of Heinlein's trademarks. It also has a strong underlying theme, as Moody-Blue points out.

Moody-Blue is also correct in recommending this to pre-teen SF fans. The book was marketed as a 'juvenile.' And yet... Heinlein raises the bar in quite a few places. For instance, the word "pratique." The meaning is clear enough from the context, but I still looked it up and had the pleasure of learning a new word. And toward the end, there's a reference to a government falling on a 'No Confidence' vote. It's an idea I wasn't at all familiar with when I first read it, and I'm still not sure I comprehend. He also puts out some good SF speculation, such as whether a species born knowing its own language will then find it difficult to learn others.

I believe Heinlein's plan was to hook readers with an interesting plot, then challenge them a bit with new words and ideas, and finally leave them with a message, almost buried out of sight, against prejudice and intolerance. I believe he succeeded at all three.

Released 1 yr ago (11/13/2017 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Audio Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Media mail to Imawinn for the BigJohnLefty audio book VBB

Journal Entry 27 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, November 20, 2017
I picked this from The Big John Lefty VBB. Thanks for sending it my way.

Journal Entry 28 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, December 04, 2018
I enjoyed this story about a boy and his lovable alien creature named Lummox. I thought it was a well thought out plot and the characters kept me entertained. Although, I did want to bop a few of the grownups in the noses. LOL! Anyway, a good listen. Thanks for sharing.