The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Ray-it-Forward)

by Kim Edwards | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 11/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, November 07, 2007
If you have found this book, welcome to Bookcrossing and thank you for taking the time to let us know about its journey. Feel free to enjoy the book and pass it along to a friend, neighbor, family member or co-worker, or simply leave it somewhere for another lucky reader to enjoy as you did! If this book isn’t your type of read it’s no problem, don't feel obliged to read it, just be kind enough to help it on its journey.

From Publishers Weekly:

Edwards's assured but schematic debut novel (after her collection, The Secrets of a Fire King) hinges on the birth of fraternal twins, a healthy boy and a girl with Down syndrome, resulting in the father's disavowal of his newborn daughter. A snowstorm immobilizes Lexington, Ky., in 1964, and when young Norah Henry goes into labor, her husband, orthopedic surgeon Dr. David Henry, must deliver their babies himself, aided only by a nurse. Seeing his daughter's handicap, he instructs the nurse, Caroline Gill, to take her to a home and later tells Norah, who was drugged during labor, that their son Paul's twin died at birth. Instead of institutionalizing Phoebe, Caroline absconds with her to Pittsburgh. David's deception becomes the defining moment of the main characters' lives, and Phoebe's absence corrodes her birth family's core over the course of the next 25 years. David's undetected lie warps his marriage; he grapples with guilt; Norah mourns her lost child; and Paul not only deals with his parents' icy relationship but with his own yearnings for his sister as well. Though the impact of Phoebe's loss makes sense, Edwards's redundant handling of the trope robs it of credibility. This neatly structured story is a little too moist with compassion.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, November 19, 2007
I really tried to get into this book, but it just wasn't for me. I am going to leave a message on the forums for anyone who would like to read this book. I can make it into a Bookray

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007
This is an International Bookray/Ray it Forward for The Memory Keeper's Daughter by: Kim Edwards. This Bookray will stay open until it reaches the last person, so send me a Pm if you would like to be added.

Bookray Started: December 7, 2007 and Ended: March 30, 2009

1. When you receive book, please make a journal entry.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address. (Always check to make sure the list hasn’t changed.) Make sure the person is able to take the book.
3. After you read the book, tell us what you thought of the book.
4. When you mail the book, make another journal entry to let us know.
5. Try to keep the book for only a month. If you are having trouble please PM me or e-mail me.: j(dot)Chaban(at)Comcast(dot)net
6. If you see anyone on this list who is a known staller of bookrings please let me know that too!
7. At the end the book will be a Ray it Forward, so if you are the last on the list, read it and then pass on to a member of Bookcrossing!
8. Most importantly have fun and enjoy the book!! Thank you!

JennyC1230

List of participants for the Bookray:

1. Shroffland/Intl. (Georgia)
2. ariesgirl29/Intl. (Tennessee)
3. Rudifun23/prefer Europe (UK)
4. RubyBlueLady/Intl. (UK)
5. ReetPetite/Intl. (UK)
6. RuthyToothy/Intl. (Scotland)
7. darkpunkangel/Intl. (Canada)
<---Travelling for one year!
8. Sfogs/Intl. (New Zealand)
9. KimbyZ (Illinois)
10. EvaLowrain/Intl. (Kentucky)

Last person Ray It Forward to another Bookcrosser!

snufkin81 *Asked to be skipped*
dg7500 (Pennsylvania) *Asked to be skipped*

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, December 07, 2007
Mailed to Shroffland on Dec. 7th to start the Bookray! Delivery Confirmation #03071790000411909261

Journal Entry 5 by wingShrofflandwing from Snellville, Georgia USA on Friday, December 14, 2007
The book arrived on 12/14 - exactly one week after jennyc1230 mailed it! Anyway, it's safe and sound, beautifully covered for durability, and I'm looking forward to reading it! Thanks for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 6 by wingShrofflandwing from Snellville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Started reading on Christmas Eve! Finished the first chapter, and am eager to read on.

Journal Entry 7 by wingShrofflandwing from Snellville, Georgia USA on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Just finished this last night. I enjoyed the story and ended up feeling for all the characters. I loved the way the author explored the consequences of a family secret, and the motivations for keeping that secret.

Will mail it on to ariesgirl29, next in line for this bookray, within the next couple of days.

Released 11 yrs ago (1/29/2008 UTC) at to another BookCrosser in -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Journal Entry 9 by wingariesgirl29wing on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
I got this last week and didn't know that I didn't journal it - sorry! I pm'd EvaLowrain and will have this back out moving soon - thanks for letting me join!

02.24.08 - I was having problems with my PMs so not sure if EvaLowrain got my first one. I sent another one today. I'll get this out as soon as I hear back from her.

03.13.08 - mailed to rudifan - enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by Rudifun23 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Fear not! It has just arrived today and in the nick of time as I've just finished a great Phil Rickman and need something to get my teeth into :-)

Journal Entry 11 by Rudifun23 from Southampton, Hampshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 22, 2008
There was just something a bit too cold about this book for me, can't quite pinpoint why it didn't really grab me by the heartstrings. Was a good illustration of how one decision can affect not just your own life though. Thanks for the opportunity to read it JennyC, have pm'd Rubybluelady.

Journal Entry 12 by RubyBlueLady from Avebury, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 17, 2008
This book arrived yesterday and I read it last night.I wanted to read as loads of BC members have read it so I thought I'd see why it's been so popular.

I thought the premise of the story was great, it got me emotionally involved very early on in the book and I just had to see how things turn out. It was interesting thinking about how I would've reacted to David's predicament if I was viewing his situation from 1964 rather than 2008.

I thought the book went on rather too long and found myself speed reading towards the end, but on the whole this was a thought provoking read.

Will contact reetpetite for her address

Journal Entry 13 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 31, 2008
Arrived today. Thanks RubyBlueLady. I've started reading it.

Journal Entry 14 by wingReetPetitewing from Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 10, 2008
A moving book that had me quite tearful at the end. Phoebe was so lovely that I hoped her life turned out well.
It made me think how life must be if you're adopted, there's no one to say that you got musical talent from your aunt or brown eyes from your grandmother.
I'd heard it was good so I wanted to find out, thanks for sharing JennyC1230.
I'll PM RuthyToothy who's next on the list.

Journal Entry 15 by RuthyToothy on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Arrived safely on Friday, and added to my TBR list :-)

Journal Entry 16 by RuthyToothy on Thursday, October 16, 2008
I'd heard a lot of people talking about this book, saying how good it was, but the real reason I wanted to read it was that I had a brother with Down's Syndrome, who died at 10 days' old (heart complication, like David's sister in the book), so I had a definite personal interest in the subject matter. I felt the book was very well written, and I really empathised very strongly with all of the characters really, which surprised me, because at first I was absolutely disgusted that David had given up this daughter! However, the more I read, the more I understood his reasons, and actually began to feel sorry for him, too.

Thank you, JennyC1230, for sharing this with us :-)

Released 10 yrs ago (10/17/2008 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending this on it's way by surface mail to darkpunkangel in Canada :-)

Journal Entry 18 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Saturday, December 06, 2008
Arrived safely this week and already starting reading this and its an enjoyable read so far. Will try to finish this as quickly as possible so I can pass it on in a timely manner. Thanks to RuthyToothy for sending this to me and JennyC1230 for starting this ray.

Journal Entry 19 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 12, 2008
Wow, I really enjoyed this book.

I already sent a PM to the next person for their address so will mail this as soon as I get it.

Journal Entry 20 by darkpunkangel at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/16/2008 UTC) at sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to the next participant, hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 21 by Sfogs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, December 26, 2008
This book has arrived safe, in th land of the Kiwi! Though has got a bit of water damage to bottom of some of the pages. Though as I have been watching the Canadian weather forecast, with a high of -16'C in Vancouver the other day, I'm not very suprised! =-D
Thank You darkpunkangel, I will hopefully enjoy this book!

Adopt one today!
Adopt one today!
Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!Adopt one today!
((Click on my dragon eggs it will help them grow))

Journal Entry 22 by Sfogs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, January 03, 2009
Thanks to everyone who has allowed this book to travel to me, so that I was able to read it.

I was a very powerful book, and very thought provoking. I have a young cousin who has Down's Syndome, and she has the very same sunny nature and carefree look to life, which is caracteristic to Down's, and commpletly captivating.
This book encompasses the very real reality which did happen in some families, and shows the real fight for acceptance soo many people have gone though and are still going though, for many different reasons.

I'll send it on as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 23 by Sfogs at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand on Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/14/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

In the mail and on it's way!

Journal Entry 24 by KimbyZ from Westmont, Illinois USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009
Yippy this book arrived today safely from New Zealand! Thank you Sfogs (and everyone else who kept this book moving along). Thanks for sharing JennyC.

Journal Entry 25 by KimbyZ at Westmont, Illinois USA on Friday, March 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/26/2009 UTC) at Westmont, Illinois USA

Released through the mail to a fellow bookcrosser. Enjoy!
Thanks to everyone for moving this book along in the ray... thanks Jenny for sharing with us. :D

Journal Entry 26 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, March 30, 2009
Arrived safe, with the cover well wrapped in some sort of protective tape, just in time for spring break reading. Wow. It's 2009, and this book launched in 2007. It's in good shape.

Journal Entry 27 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, March 30, 2009
This is now a Ray-it-Forward for The Memory Keeper's Daughter by: Kim Edwards.

I’ll find the first person that wants this book and send it to them. I just ask that they pass the book along “BookRay” fashion when they are done with it.

If you have this book then please look for another BookCrosser to pass it to. Check the wish lists, leave a message on the forums, a yahoo group, the BookRelay, or offer it at a meeting...whatever way you choose to pass it on is up to you. If no other BookCrossers want it then send it along its way as a wild release but this should be a last resort.

What are the advantages of Ray it Forward? Time frame – I ask that you pass the book along in a couple months or so, but because there is not a “waiting list” the time is a little more relaxed than a standard BookRay.

Shipping Preferences – Choose your own. If you need to post within your own country then do so. If you choose to send international that is great too. If postal costs are a problem right now then hand it to another BookCrosser at a meeting, ask for postage from the receiver or find some other way to get the book in the hands of another BookCrosser.

***Please note that it would be polite to let the next person know that this is a Ray It Forward book before you pass it along to them so that they will know that they will be expected to pass it on in a couple months.

Enjoy the Book!

(Ray it Forward Rules borrowed from Surmisez)

Journal Entry 28 by EvaLowrain from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Saturday, May 02, 2009
I finally finished this book. It strikes me as a great discussion book...but reading it was a frustrating experience. It was slow and hard, not because of the subject, but the repetition and minutia. Lovely writing, but again - it just dragged on and on and on. I guess I'm just in more of a Hemingway mood.

I'll hunt someone down for the ray, but I wondered about the people who were skipped?

Journal Entry 29 by EvaLowrain at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 14, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/15/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to flossie771 http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/flossie771

Journal Entry 30 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, May 18, 2009
This surprise came in the mail today...thanks for the ray. I'll get to it as soon as I can and then ray it on to someone else.
Thanks JennyC1230 for starting the ray and thanks to EvaLowrain for sending to me.