Howl's Moving Castle => International Book Ray

by Diana Wynne JOnes | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Hero of Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on 3/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Hero from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Tuesday, March 04, 2003
It's officially 'teens', I guess, but most of the grown-ups I know love it too, so I'm going with the fantasy category instead.

Why do I love this book so much? It's got a wonderful topsy-turvy fairy tale basis ('Only thin, weak thinkers despise fairy stories'*); a heroine who believes she can't amount to anything as she's the eldest of three (the more I read the opening page, the more I'm reminded of the beginning of Northanger Abbey, btw); a great romance; a chapter entitled 'In which Howl expresses his feelings with green slime'; a poem by John Donne; magical weed-killer. I guess I might as well stop now, though I could go on.

If that weren't enough, this book was partly responsible (through discussions on the DWJ list) for my decision to study English Lit. in University at my advanced age!

* The quote is from Fire and Hemlock, also by Diana Wynne Jones.

Journal Entry 2 by Hero from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, March 06, 2003
Posted to Shelbycat this morning. It's very appropriate this is going to Wales, now if we could only find someone from Ingary to join the ray...

Shelbycat
aset01 (France)
nishijezza (Japan)
caligula03 (USA)
Erna (Netherlands)

Journal Entry 3 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, March 10, 2003
Just to let everyone on the bookray know i've received the book and am well on my way with it. So far it has a big thumbs UP from me, i can't seem to put it down!

Journal Entry 4 by Shelbycat from Llanelli, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, March 13, 2003
This was one fantastic book! I completely couldn't put it down, and i think i might just have a look to see what else DWJ has written so i can look out for them in the shops.

I don't know what else to say about the book without ruining some of the story lines, but i would definately recomend this book to everyone, and i think i may just do that now.

My b/f might want to read this too, but i'm going to make him join before he does (he's the fastest read i've ever seen so he should be finished before i'm even done with the first chapter of the next book, which will be Bridge of Birds.

Journal Entry 5 by rmg from Exeter, Devon United Kingdom on Thursday, March 27, 2003
Received as part of Hero's book ring

I read Howl's Moving Castle a few months ago and loved it. I particularly liked the mixture of fantasy/fairytale settings and very real characters. DWJ rocks my world.

Journal Entry 6 by rmg from Exeter, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, April 06, 2003
Posted to the bookcrosser known as Myntti.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 09, 2003
I recieved Howl's Moving Castle together with Hexwood in the mail this morning. Thank you, rmg & Hero! Now I have to decide which book I want to read first...

Journal Entry 8 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, April 21, 2003
What a great book! When I finally started reading this book, I read it at one sitting. I'd love to read more about Sophie, Howl, Michael and Calcifer.
And the award for best title must go to Chapter 6: "In which Howl expresses his feelings with green slime". :-)

I'll mail "Howl" to vi0let tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 23, 2003
Received today.
Looks interesting. The beginning reminds me of Terry Pratchett (which is a good thing)

Journal Entry 10 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, April 26, 2003
A wonderful story with a few surprises!
A lovely ending, interesting characters, a poem (which is now stuck in my head) and a great deal of witchcraft...Luckily summer´s approaching and I´ll have time to read more books by Diana Wynne Jones ^_^

Edit 28/4
Will send the book as soon as possible. I´ve asked mjm´s address but she hasn´t answered yet.

Journal Entry 11 by vi0let from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 30, 2003
Sent the book to mjm today

Journal Entry 12 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Wednesday, May 07, 2003
Received yesterday as part of bookray. Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by mjm from Draper, Utah USA on Monday, May 12, 2003
I really enjoyed this dip into fantasy. I don't often choose to read these kinds of books, but I loved it! I especially enjoyed the whole thing with Sophie as a sort of "ugly" stepsister. Fun book. Will get this off to jackshome ASAP.

Journal Entry 14 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, May 22, 2003
Recieved int he mail this morning. Just started reading it, at first glance appears to be a fairytale type fantasy book, more later :-))

Journal Entry 15 by jackshome from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2003
On a scale of 1-10 this should be a 50!!!! I really renjoyed this, I know it's a teens novel, but its really fantastic, the characters are great fun and the book is really hard to put down!! The ending met my expectations in the romance and relationships stakes, my favorite character was Howl :-) Sending to Hero on Tuesday.

Journal Entry 16 by Hero from Dublin, Co. Dublin Ireland on Friday, June 06, 2003
Sent to BlossomU in Portugal on Wednesday.

Journal Entry 17 by BlossomU on Wednesday, June 11, 2003
The book has just arrived, many thanks Hero! I am so looking forward to it, the very first paragraph is irresistible "In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three. Everyone knows you are the one that will fail first, and worst, if the three of you ever set out to seek your fortunes". An irresistible beginning.

Journal Entry 18 by BlossomU on Friday, June 13, 2003
I have just finished it and what a charming charming book. I loved it and loved most of the characters ( except the Witch of course). The plot was not at all obvious, am still trying to figure out the curse upon Howl and what exactly was the hint Calcifer gave Sophie, the characterization was brilliant and all characters rang so true. I liked it a lot better than the Chrestomanci books, and i just got to buy my own copy one of these days, this will be a reread book. Actually the very start of the book reminded me of this short story by as Byatt, also about fairy tale countries and how first and second child got it tough ( can not recall title of the story, but it is on the Djinn in the Nightingale's eye collection) but I liked this one a lot better, not only it was far more entertaining, but the characters were far more real.

I do not quite have the nerve for a wild release of a book here, particularly a book in English, and would love to see this bookray continuing.

20/Jun - I have just mailed this to zrmzlina, I sent it bookrate but airmail, I hope it does not take too long to arrive!

Journal Entry 19 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2003
Really, really looking forward to this read. I just put another Wynne Jones book on hold at work...The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume 1. I won't have that for a few weeks, so this will be a great introduction to her writing. I'll post more when I've read it. Thank you!

Journal Entry 20 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2003
What a totally charming read! I haven't rated it yet because I've got a couple chapters left, but wanted to let all know it will be moving along to the next person on Friday.

Diana Wynne Jones is for sure going to find her way to my nephews' bookshelves. I did pick up the two volume Chronicles of Chrestomanci and will read that next. And I'll post a final journal entry before sending this on.

Journal Entry 21 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2003
Arrived yesterday. I don't think I have ever read such glowing reviews for any BC book. Thanks for the opportunity to read this!

Journal Entry 22 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 05, 2003
Oh my goodness... I completely forgot to make a final journal entry. Rampallion's reminded me :-)

There are so many things I love about this book. A protagonist who is an old woman, a complicated plot that has riddles to figure out (which I never really figured out, but love them anyway), a non-gushy love story, lots of humor and seven-league boots. And, icing on it all, part of the story features Wales, one of my favorite places after only being there for 5 days :-)

I am getting copies for two of my nephews and I plan to read more of this author. I think there is a sequel to this book, but not sure I want to read that since I am not usually fond of sequels.

Thank you to all before me who have kept this book moving along, delighting as it goes!

Journal Entry 23 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2003
Started this last week while on vacation. Really intriguing, especially the "talks to hats" part and the plot twist about the sister. I love that the allusions to magic are often subtle and that characters react to "curses" and "blessings" in unpredictable ways.

I would never, ever have chosen to read this book based on its unattractive cover art and less-than-appealing blurb. Thank goodness for BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 24 by rampallion from Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2003
Terrific book. Loved the dialogue and the ending. Why isn't this author better known? I would think that anybody who liked the Harry Potter series would like this novel. I shall have to read more of DWJ.
Will send to LaurieS once I get a mailing address.

Journal Entry 25 by rampallion at on Wednesday, August 20, 2003
Released on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 at to fellow bookcrosser in postal release, postal release USA.

Mailed to LaurieS today. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 26 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, August 27, 2003
Howl's Moving Castle has arrived! Thanks so much for the loverly postcard Kirsti. I'm in way over my head with commitments at the moment but will get to this one as soon as I'm able. I'm really looking forward to reading it. For now it sits atop my tbr stack while I read these:

Love & A Bad Hair Day for review All About Romance
Lives of the Monster Dogs for the Perpetually Bizarre Bookring
The Crimson Spell for pgsahm's bookring
Step-Ball-Change for Zmrzlina's bookring

Also, it appears the book is getting very "well loved". Would you like me to put a protective coating of contact paper around the cover to keep things intact? Just send me a PM if it's ok.

Journal Entry 27 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2003
Ahhh, I'm so very sorry to everyone behind me and horribly embarrassed. I didn't realize I was this backed up and this book is so tiny. I will be finished reading it within two weeks and will ship out to the next in line pronto. I am a horrible bookring-er and deserve a good twenty lashes. Who wants to volunteer?

Journal Entry 28 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 08, 2003
11/4/03: Update ** I am busily working my way through this charming little book and, with any luck, will be finished tonight & will be shipping it off to the next reader. I'll post comments/thoughts when finished.

Journal Entry 29 by BarkLessWagMore at on Monday, November 10, 2003
Released on Monday, November 10, 2003 at Bookcrosser's home in postal release, postal release USA.

Mailed off to Atenea-Nike in Spain today

Journal Entry 30 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, November 12, 2003
I noticed on the forum I caused you a bit of trouble by adding my comments to the release notes and will refrain from doing so in the future. I'm adding another journal entry in the hopes that this fixes things. Sorry about that! I did coat Howl with a nice covering of contact paper to preserve his loveliness for future readers, he was getting quite tattered :)

This is such a charming little book. I purposely didn’t read the back blurb and as such wasn’t sure what to expect when I began the book (just had some vague memory of positive comments about the story) and I was continually surprised by the plot twists and turns. It’s been far too long since I’ve read something that was pleasant through and through. I enjoyed Sophie’s go with the flow attitude (can’t say as I’d be nearly as accepting and pleasant as she initially was with her transformation!) and her quirky sense of humor. Howl, the cad, was a great character. Very selfish and self-centered and almost childishly funny at times, he managed to worm his way into my good graces by giving Michael & Sophie a home without conditions or questions. This book was a lot of fun to read thanks so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 31 by Atenea-Nike on Friday, January 16, 2004
I got this book in today's mail. So far I've only read 5 pages (in the bus from home to Uni) but they sounded so enticing that I can't wait to open it again! :)

Journal Entry 32 by Atenea-Nike on Monday, January 19, 2004
Oh, what a lovely, lovely book! I read it all in one sitting, in spite of my being in exams time, so that tells you how much I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing it, Hero - I'll have to find more books by the same author. I won't say much about the book because I don't want to spoil it for future readers, but I loved all the characters, particularly Sophie and Howl.
I'll mail it to the next one asap.

Journal Entry 33 by pikapolonica on Friday, February 06, 2004
The book is in Stockholm, thank you, Atenea-Nike. I have another book to finish first, then this one is next in the line.

Update (13th Feb): how very nice! Funny, witty and charming at the same time. Which was your favorite person? Mine was Calcifer, what a nice destiny for a falling star, isn't it? Another thing that fascinated me was the construction of the castle in four dimensions. Simply brilliant.

The castle is moving on to fflloorr.

Journal Entry 34 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Received this today. Thanks Pikapolonica!

Journal Entry 35 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 12, 2004
While Fflloorr is busy with other rings/rays I took the chance to read this one. I'm glad I did it cause I quite liked its story :) I'm increasingly becoming a fan of teens/child literature ;)
In the beginning the book reminded me a bit of the Chronicles of Narnia series, but then I forgot all about Narnia and was engaged in this new world.
Thanks to Hero for giving me the chance to read this book! :) It'll be back with Fflloorr next week.

Journal Entry 36 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, July 08, 2004
I enjoyed this book but not as much as the other Bxers. Maybe it's because I'm not such a fan of children's literature. I'm trying to read more of this genre to see if I can get into it but this one didn't persuade me, it's all right, but not that fantastic.

This castle will be moving to France (boucli) next week.

Journal Entry 37 by boucli from Toulouse, Midi-Pyrénées France on Friday, September 03, 2004
The book has just arrived here at work ("another package from abroad", said the secretary, "this time from Portugal..."(I think she's getting jealous ;-))
i'll read it very soon and send it on its way !

Journal Entry 38 by boucli from Toulouse, Midi-Pyrénées France on Tuesday, September 07, 2004
I loved it, really ! I couldn't put it down...
The world in this book reminded me of what I've read of Neil Gaiman (this special thing about doors) and Terry Pratchett.
Being the eldest of three ;-)), I was feeling very concerned about Sophie...but I knew that Howl would turn out to be less self-centered as he seemed at first...

I've just heard that Miyasaki will release a "Howl's moving castle" movie soon, and I can't wait to see what he's made of it !

Will be sent to Gyd shortly.

Journal Entry 39 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Wednesday, September 15, 2004
Recieved!
Merci beaucoup, Boucli! -and thanks for the nice postcard & the bookmark too =)
And it has arrived at a perfect timing because yesterday night I finished the book I was currently reading =D

Journal Entry 40 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, September 23, 2004
Charming is the word =).

'Eight days of Luke' and this one are my particular DWJ favourites (I haven't read 'Fire and Hemlock.
And as Boucli wrote before, the story reminded me of 'Neverwhere' by Gaiman (Marquis de Carabas -I loved that character!- kept popping in my head as I was reading about Howl).
I've already got Snorkeling's address but since tomorrow is holiday in Barcelona, the book will be sent on Monday.
Thanks for sharing Hero, and count on me when/ if you organise 'Fire and Hemlock' BookRay...

Journal Entry 41 by snorkeling from München, Bayern Germany on Saturday, October 09, 2004
Howl's Moving Castle arrived savely today. Thanks a lot, Gyd, for the lovely, lovely bookmark!!!

Journal Entry 42 by snorkeling from München, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, October 13, 2004
A lovely book indeed! A huge bucket of great detail (like the slime), and really really nice characters. And what a nice surprise when we first meet the evil wizard Howl (fierce creature indeed ).
I'll try to get to the post-office this afternoon, Hexa is the next in line: Enjoy.

Journal Entry 43 by Hexa on Tuesday, October 19, 2004
This arrived yesterday and I've already read half of it - fabulous book. I'll write more when I've finished it.

Journal Entry 44 by Hexa on Thursday, October 21, 2004
I really enjoyed this book, especially the ending with everyone milling about...I always love the way DWY plays with fairy tale/fantasy conventions, and I have decided that I definitely need a Moving Castle to live in!

Sending on to chinasourcer as soon as I have an address.

Journal Entry 45 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Received in the post, many thanks.

Journal Entry 46 by ChinaSourcer from Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, February 10, 2005
Posted today to tuz. Apolgies for hanging on to this for so long.
A good read, I enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 47 by Tuz from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais Brazil on Friday, February 18, 2005
It's arrived safe and sound, thanks! I expect to read it on the next couple of days.

February 22, 2005

I expected a lot more from this book, but it's an ok story.

It goes next to Chivers.

February 25, 2005

Sent to Chivers today. Nice reading! :)

Journal Entry 48 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Friday, March 04, 2005
arrived yesterday... it's the only bookring book with me now, i'll probably read it fast :)

Journal Entry 49 by chivers from Recife, Pernambuco Brazil on Wednesday, March 23, 2005
finished the book yesterday and simply loved it!!! can't wait to watch the animation!!!!
i'm going to pm the next on the list now and will mail it asap.
thanks for letting me participate in this wonderful ring!!!!1

Journal Entry 50 by nyassa from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, September 09, 2005
Arrived safely, many thanks

Journal Entry 51 by nyassa from Deal, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, September 11, 2005
I think everyone has said it all, so I have very little to add except for saying how much I enjoyed it. A really lovely book, many thanks to Hero for having set this on its way such a long time ago!

I will be putting it in the post tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 52 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2005
Recieved this morning - thanks Nyassa for sending on and Hero for organising!

Just finished my commute into work book, so this will take its place.

Journal Entry 53 by Koalabare from Fetcham, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 04, 2005
A quick read that will repay going back and re-reading again at some point in the future.

I liked Sophie a lot - I will be using her as a role model when I am more aged than I am now! And I also liked the Welsh cross-dimensional thing (and then working out exactly what Calcifer was singing about - made me chortle out loud on the train!)

Thanks Hero for sharing - I'm not sure if I'd want to see the film version of this that has come out recently, but I'm very glad I've read the original first.

Saturday 8th - Posted to Auglaise.

Journal Entry 54 by Auglaise from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, October 20, 2005
Received last week, but as my computer has been having a fit wasn't able to journal! I really enjoyed it, and wish that there was another book talking about Howl and Sophie's adventures after they found one another. Thanks for letting me read it, and I'll be passing it on when I get an address! ^_^

Journal Entry 55 by Auglaise at Friend in Friend, A Potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 06, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (10/6/2007 UTC) at Friend in Friend, A Potential Bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Going to a good friend who has seen the film but not read the book.