Constant Princess, The

by Philippa Gregory | History |
ISBN: 000719031x Global Overview for this book
Registered by sorcha-sidhe of Quorn, South Australia Australia on 11/3/2007
Journal Entry 1 by sorcha-sidhe from Quorn, South Australia Australia on Saturday, November 03, 2007
this is the second philippa gregory novel i've read, and unfortunately it took me two months to complete! that's a bit of shame considering it's not a bad story, it's just not as gripping as _the other boleyn girl_.

i do enjoy the way gregory portrays her historical characters and makes them real; funnily, it's always exactly how i perceived them to be. i can just imagine katherine to be goal-driven, determined, and infallible.

i never believed katherine's "lie", and i liked that gregory based the novel around it and gave it a new dynamic. it was interesting to learn more of catalina the infanta of spain too. sometimes i think katherine is the forgotten queen of king henry viii's reign, since history seems focussed on anne boleyn. it was nice to read of a different perspective of the tudor court and it's wayward king.

recommend to anyone who enjoys historical fiction!

i look forward to reading more of philippa gregory in the near future.

" 'Katherine of Aragon, Queen of England, come into court!'
This is me. This is my moment. This is my battle cry.
I step forwards."

Journal Entry 2 by sorcha-sidhe from Quorn, South Australia Australia on Thursday, November 15, 2007
Sent to rapturina in the netherlands!

Journal Entry 3 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, November 26, 2007
It's here, that was quick! Thank you so much, sorcha-sidhe, I'm really looking forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 4 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Friday, January 04, 2008
Finished reading this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a period of time I know next to nothing about, so this was a good way to get a basic idea. :D I will definitely have to look up more information about the Tudors know - fascinating stuff.

What I liked most about this book was the character development of Catalina, how she quite literally grew up to be an adult and started to realize her mother's actions weren't always the best and that there are different perspectives out there which can be just as valuable. An important lesson, I think, and worked out well in this book.

I do think the book was a bit tedious at times, especially the middle part, where she's basically waiting for her marriage to Harry. It does fit the narrative in a way that it must've felt like forever to her - all that waiting for years with only one thought on her mind - but it did get a bit boring while reading about it. Only a little bit though. :D

Anyway, so I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more of Philippa Gregory's work! Thank you, sorcha-sidhe, for introducing me to this excellent writer!

Journal Entry 5 by rapturina from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, December 29, 2008
I've had this book long enough now... :D Sending it to perfect-circle today!

Journal Entry 6 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, January 02, 2009
Arrived safely today. I shall do my best to get your book in the post this week, rapturina. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 7 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Saturday, February 28, 2009
A wonderful story, left me wondering just how much was fiction and how much was based in fact, because Catalina was so seemingly so poorly treated by not just her family but others as well. It was a very moving tale, although I'm beginning to wish I'd read Gregory's Tudor books in chronological order.

Thanks Rapturina!

Journal Entry 8 by perfect-circle at to a bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/27/2009 UTC) at to a bookcrosser, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the UK June Exchange recipient. Hope you like it.

Journal Entry 9 by perfect-circle from Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, May 29, 2009
Release notes done in error. This is still with me for the moment.

Journal Entry 10 by bcukuncon on Monday, June 29, 2009
This book is off to the Edinburgh Uncon as a surprise for someone's goody bag.

Journal Entry 11 by Gizmopuddy from Maynooth, Co. Kildare Ireland on Sunday, July 05, 2009
In my goodie bag at the UnCon

Journal Entry 12 by Gizmopuddy at on Sunday, July 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/5/2009 UTC) at

Luggage allowance won't let me bring this home

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing --maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free!) And if you do choose to join, I hope you'll consider using me, gizmopuddy, as your referring member. Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels- You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 13 by wed2scot from Farmington, Missouri USA on Friday, August 21, 2009
I caught the book on the way to Edinburgh Castle. Considering the date I found the book (I believe it to be around July 5th. but without my journal nearby that date is approximate) I'm thinking it must have been compliments of Gizmopuddy. I have just started reading it and so far I am enjoying the read. This is the first Gregory novel I've read but plan to read others.

I have enjoyed the way Gregory "puts" you in the time and allows you to experience "Tudor England".

Plan to release it in the USA or perhaps on an international flight.

Journal Entry 14 by colowolf from Montrose, Colorado USA on Sunday, November 01, 2009
Received from my aunt in Missouri via Endinburgh, Scotland. I have always loved historical fiction because I am forced to research further. I have always been interested in this period of history and will be researching further. Her waiting to marry Henry was a bit tedious but also lent itself to the long, lonely journey Catalina had to endure. A good read introduced to me and soon to be passed on to Alaska !