Letter from America: 1946-2004

by Alistair Cooke | Journals |
ISBN: 0141020156 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tregossip of St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on 10/31/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Tregossip from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
Brilliant
Will be going on a ray soon

Usual guidelines please
JE on receipt of book
please don't keep for more than a month
PM next person for address
Add your thoughts on this book before posting onwards
and- - - enjoy

orange-platypus UK post UK
MrsJennings UK post int'l surface
wanderingstar8 UK post Int'l
scrutiny Hong Kong, will post anywhere
ETMadrid Spain no preferences recieved yet

still open

to NZ - enjoy (sent air-mail as only a couple of quid more than surface which will take months)

Journal Entry 3 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Saturday, November 17, 2007
Thanks Tregossip! And for the postcard - I'll have to google it and see what it's about.
Will read as quickly as I can, Pming next person now.

Journal Entry 4 by VeganMedusa from Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Thanks Tregossip, for starting this bookray!
This was a slow read, because I kept hearing it in Cooke's voice, which was quite weird! A great book in so many ways - the way he writes, what he writes about (with all his connections - was there anyone he didn't know?), just having one person cover 1940s-2000s is amazing.
While I still enjoyed the earlier part of the book just for his writing/speaking style, for me it was really the 1960s onwards that was great - just because I'm more familiar with the time.
Some of my favourites that I can remember: Xmas in Vermont, Bobby Kennedy's assassination, John McLaren's folly, the Letter from Long Island, Origins of American Slang, Chaplin - The Last Word, The Old Rocking Chair, Farewell to San Francisco.

ETA: Posted 13/12/07 (airmail).

Journal Entry 5 by whitequeen from Ipswich, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Arrived safely today. Thanks Tregossip and VeganMedusa...and yes, that postcard IS intriguing.
Looking forward to reading this book.
Cheers and Merry bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 6 by whitequeen from Ipswich, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 18, 2008
Thought I would pop in a journal entry to let you know what I think of this book. I'm enjoying it immensely. It has been a great read over the Christmas silly season because each chapter is, of course, an article complete in itself. That has made it a great book to pick up and put down.

Eventually though a pattern is formed of a man who, at the time, was writing to illuminate America, and its habits, to England. It becomes though in the passage of time a historical record of times past.

There was a question in the Forums in tha last few days questioning why some people felt the need to celebrate past celebrities birthday...and Alistair Cooke uncannily had an answer- (this is what I posted)

In an article in 1959 he wrote-
"But Americans themselves are great celebrators of their eminent dead. And when the calendar reminds us of a great one who was born or died fifty or a hundred years ago, he is obediently honoured in the tomb by people who would have feared or hated him in the flesh. For Americans, an impetuous but ceremonial people, are soon ready to pay tribute to a man once the wind is out of him."

I offer no opinion (not being American) but I have found him, on reading, to be remarkably prescient.

This is not the only example. There is often a certain sensitivity about the question of America's role, in the new millenium, in world events. Apparently Cooke had some foresight into the issue. it is remarkable that he wrote in the Fifties about America having to be aware of how it was perceived by the rest of the world.

I have hopi100's address and will be sending the book on in the next few days. Many thanks for the opportunity to read this book.

Journal Entry 7 by whitequeen from Ipswich, Queensland Australia on Thursday, February 07, 2008
Posting off to hopi100 today.
Sorry for the delay but thanks for sharing the book. Cheers.