The Snow Goose

by Paul Gallico | Children's Books |
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 10/31/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
"The Snow Goose" centres on Philip, a hunchback, who lives alone in an lighthouse, except for the flocks of geese, and a young girl from the local village who brings him a snow goose wounded by a gun shot.

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 31, 2007
I'm opening this book up as a book ray (ie I don't want it back at the end of its travels). If you would like to join, please send me a PM with your name and country of where you live. Please also say if are not prepared to post internationally - otherwise I will assume that you can.(I'll try to order the list so that postage costs are kept to a minimum).

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and remember that life gets in the way sometimes for all of us!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say six weeks or a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in a journal entry so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants

Midlifecrisis (UK) (anywhere)
Orange-platypus (UK) (UK)
Jalna (UK) (no preference)
Candy-is-Dandy (UK) (no preference)
Chunniemonster (UK) (UK)
Celticseahorse (UK) (no preference)
Ana-b (The Netherlands) (anywhere)

Last person on the list gets to decide what to do with the book at the end.

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, November 01, 2007
I re-read this book last night, in preparation for parting with it. I was struck by how accurately I remembered the emotions it stirred when I read it as a child and how inaccurately I had remembered the story. But what struck me most, which I'm sure I never noticed before, was the lyrical, poetic cadance that Gallico follows throughout its all too short 47 pages. It is achingly beautiful, and painfully sad. I have to confess that the tears were streaming as I closed the covers.

Journal Entry 4 by Rivercassini at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 01, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (11/1/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way...

Journal Entry 5 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, November 04, 2007
I'm afraid I did not need the box of tissues as Rivercassini had advised, but I agree it is a little gem of a book and thank you so much for letting me share it. I will pm the next person and keep the goose in flight.

Journal Entry 6 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Posted today to the next person

Journal Entry 7 by orange-platypus from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 08, 2007
This arrived in the post today. Thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by orange-platypus from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 31, 2007
Just finished this book. Was I the only one to want to read more about the snow goose than the old bloke?! Perhaps my sentimental streak is missing! I actually found the relationship between the man and girl a bit spooky. Mmm... Contacting Jalna to send on anyway!

Journal Entry 9 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, January 17, 2008
Excellent timing! I finished my previous current read last night and this one arrived this morning so I will start it right away. Depending on the quality of tv offered to-day, I should finish it to-day or to-morrow.

It's many, many years since I first read this story and I can't remember much about it except that it was a very touching tale, so it will be interesting to see how I react to it this second time around.

Journal Entry 10 by jalna from Wrexham, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
As I read I was thinking to myself "oh yes, I remember this now" but I had forgotten - did I even realise when I was so much more youthful? - how poetic and beautiful is the language. What is really clever is the switch to the blunt, totally unpoetic prose as the soldier takes up the story of Dunkirk: this really contrasts the horror of that situation with the peace and calm and love of the rest of the story.

What a wonderful, wonderful book. I have to give it a perfect 10. I don't think I've ever done that before.

It's now on its way to Candy-is-dandy.

Journal Entry 11 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 23, 2008
I'm sure I've never read this but having recently read Snow Geese by William Fiennes who was inspired by re-reading this book as an adult, to follow the migration of the snow geese from Texas to Baffin Island, this is very timely.

Thanks to rivercassini for sharing and jalna for passing it on.

Journal Entry 12 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 27, 2008
It always amazes me how I have got so far through life without reading some really classic books - how has this one passed me by, for example. It was a lovely read, well written and the description of the Essex coastline in the 1930's and 40's very well 'painted'. I live in Essex and could certainly imagine the mists and marshes.

I wondered too, at the relationship between Frith and Philip - I doubt that in today's world she would have been permitted to spend time with someone who undoubtedly would be shunned and suspected by our cynical communitiies. But the beauty and freedom of the snow goose surpassed these feelings for them and for me, as the reader.

Thank you very much for sharing this book, rivercassini. I couldn't quite believe that it took me less than half an hour to read.

Journal Entry 13 by chunniemonster from Colne, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, March 03, 2008
This one flew through my letter box this morning much to the horror of my beloved who almost caught it in the family jewels!

I'm currently having my whole house rewired so my house is in chaos, and I am finding myself scurrying from one room to another to avoid getting in the way of the electricians. The only thing that is keeping me sane at the moment is having a good book to loose myself into. I've just finished my current read so this one has arrived just in time.

Journal Entry 14 by chunniemonster from Colne, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 04, 2008
I read this in bed last night. What a super little book. A very quick read that speaks volumes. For a very brief story, the plot has a great deal of depth that not only touches on human attitudes towards those who appear physically different, but it also spoke of something deeply spiritual in nature in which the snow goose is symbolic of the developing relationship between two very different people.

Journal Entry 15 by chunniemonster from Colne, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, March 10, 2008
On its way to celticseahorse

Journal Entry 16 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Arrived today in wet windy Cornwall on my Birthday..as my plans for day have been scuppered by the weather this is just the ticket for a nice read:-)

Journal Entry 17 by celticseahorse from Newquay, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, March 23, 2008
I enjoyed this for its language and ambiguity/mythical quality? It wasn’t what I imagined it would be...more haunting somehow with the contrast of the writing and the reported language at the end.
I will now have to hunt out the book that referenced it so often. ..ah looks like the one I'm thinking of is the one Candy-is-Dandy mentions.
I’m glad I read this reminds me a bit of The Happy Prince, and the description of land and water revived the images from the ring 'Salt' .
I have Ana-b's address and will be sending it on after the holiday but will try and read it through again once more as a bedtime read.

On its way airmail today..27 March 2008