The Book Thief (Readers Circle)

by Markus Zusak | History |
Registered by KimKerry of Prescott, Arizona USA on 11/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by KimKerry from Prescott, Arizona USA on Thursday, November 01, 2007
There is much positive discussion of this book, so I just had to check it out.

Journal Entry 2 by KimKerry from Prescott, Arizona USA on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
I laughed, cried, gasped at the beauty of the writing. This is classified as a "Young Adults" novel, and it certainly has much to offer the teen and the mature adult as well. I would strongly suggest that any younger individual who reads this book should do so again another 10 or 20 years down the road.

I so enjoyed having wry, oddly caring Death narrate the story.

I purchased two more copies to give away as gifts.

This one goes to my UK friend, house-elfdobby.

Journal Entry 3 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 23, 2007
Yippee! This arrived in the post this morning with a host of other goodies from my American pal, the lovely KimKerry. It has made my day - I'm really looking forward to reading it and have bumped it up the TBR pile!
Will pass it on to another BookCrosser when I'm done - thanks so much Kim!

Journal Entry 4 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 24, 2007
Kim, this was a fabulous book and has stayed with me even though I finished it over a week ago. I love the descriptions the author wrote, one that has stuck in my mind is Leisel's friend, 'the boy with hair the colour of lemons', but there were many, many more. One day I will read it again and highlight all the descriptions that I loved just so I can look at them from time to time. A truly moving, unputdownable book.
Jive-Monster has asked to read it after me and suggested I do a book-ring with it, so that's the plan Batman. Will organise it in the New Year.

Thanks for sending it to me Kim, I thoroughly enjoyed it - hope you have a lovely Christmas and are all relaxed after your little break in Hawaii!

Journal Entry 5 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 30, 2007
Tah dah! It's now a bookring KimKerry! Here's who's taking part (in order of shipping):

Jive monster
Kerriou
Cally-c
SazzyMCH
AceofHearts - book is here now (March 19) - that was a quick trip across the pond SazzyMCH!
Gringuitica - has asked to be skipped as mail system in Costa Rica v. dodgy at the mo (March 28)
Blackteiwaz - would like to be skipped - has a copy now 18/2/08
Spoiledrotten <------ Book on way to UnwrittenLibra 27/4/08
UnwrittenLibra <------ book on it's merry way to HKG! thanks UnwrittenLibra!
Scrutiny <------ book is ready to be moved on 24/7/08
AgdaAgulina <------ book left here 30 September 2008
Ipsu <------ book got here October 2008 - STALLED 16 April 2009
Isabelopes <------- would like to be skipped - has read it
Moonwoolf
billhookbabe
WelshHelen
Plum-crazy
house-elfdobby

Will pop it in the post to you this coming week Jive-Monster - hope you enjoy it! And thanks everyone for joining in - look forward to reading your journal entries!

*** What a treat it has been to read all your JE's so far, and what a trip around the world this not so little book has had so far! Safe travels onwards .... 30/9/08 ***

*** It would appear that this lovely book has stalled and despite pm's etc, I'm getting nowhere in trying to have it moved on. I've contacted all the other participants who have been very understanding, and have made arrangements to read it themselves. So sorry it didn't complete its journey .... 16 April 2009 ***

Journal Entry 6 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2008
Posted the book to Jive-Monster this merry morn, first class, so it should be there soon! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by Jive-Monster from -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 05, 2008
Received in the post today from house-elfdobby. Only got a little bit of my current book to go, so will get this started at some stage either today or tomorrow.
Thanks for arranging this bookring house-elfdobby.
See you soon

Journal Entry 8 by Jive-Monster from -- Somewhere in Derbyshire, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, January 20, 2008
I made the mistake of trying to read this book at work. My advice is to read it somewhere and give it your undivided attention. It wasn't going to pass my 100 page rule until I decided to read it at home - and am I glad I made that decision.

This is a wonderful book and the descriptions are, at times, breathtaking. My favourite chapter was in part six - The Dream Carrier, Thirteen Presents.

Thanks for organising this as a bookring house-elfdobby, I'll be posting it on to kerriou tomorrow.

Journal Entry 9 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Arrived this morning. Thank you Jive-Monster.
I'm just coming to the end of a book so will probably start this one tonight.

Journal Entry 10 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, January 28, 2008
An original and very moving book. A sad story but Death's narration was witty and compassionate.
Beatifully written with well portrayed characters. I loved it.

Thank you for sharing house-elfdobby.

Posted on to cally-c this morning.

Journal Entry 11 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Arrived this morning, thank-you!
Will read asap - having read everyone's reviews I am really looking forwards to it.

Journal Entry 12 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2008
I loved this, it is a very sad, but beautiful story, lots of friendships, loyalty & hidden kindnesses. The characters stay with you after you've finished the book.

(I hung onto this a bit longer as my daughter wanted to read it, but sadly she can't get into it, so it's off to SazzyMCH tomorrow).

Thank-you for the ring, house-elfdobby!

Journal Entry 13 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 18, 2008
Thanks for all your comments so far - glad you're enjoying the book!

Journal Entry 14 by SazzyMCH from San Antonio, Texas USA on Friday, February 22, 2008
Book arrived today - thanks very much. I have just started another book, so should get to this by the end of next week.

Journal Entry 15 by SazzyMCH from San Antonio, Texas USA on Wednesday, March 12, 2008
I really enjoyed this book although it wasn't as heartstoppingly wonderful as I thought it might be. Having said that though, it did bring tears t omy eyes in places, the writing was wonderful and I loved having Death narrate.

This will be off to AceOfHearts in Canada tomorrow - surface mail so will probably take a while.

Journal Entry 16 by SazzyMCH from San Antonio, Texas USA on Thursday, March 13, 2008
My OH decided to splash out and send this airmail so it should be there alot quicker!

Journal Entry 17 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 18, 2008
received today

Journal Entry 18 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 27, 2008
The Book Thief is a unique book in many ways. It is the story of an illiterate, poverty-stricken young German girl during WWII. The story is narrated by Death: not a callous, frightening Death but a caring over-worked Death. Leisel Meminger is the Book Thief. She steals her first book at her brother's funeral. Her foster father teaches her to read and therein fosters a love of books and words. Liesel steals books from Nazi Book burnings and the mayor's wife's library.

Leisel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement. Max opens up Liesel's world even further by writing books for her.

Zusak writes about the dangerous times of Nazi Germany. The concentration camps, the Nazi youth movement and the fervour of the times is depicted very well. Zusak develops the characters so well the readers can feel the emotion through the pages.

Another unique feature is the manner in which the chapters are written. They are vignettes of life.

I loved the book and the way it was written.

Journal Entry 19 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
mailed today to SpoiledRotten

Journal Entry 20 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Monday, April 07, 2008
Received in the mail today. Have just started another ring, but this one will be next. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 21 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
If I could give this book a higher rating than 10 I would. I cannot begin to describe how moving this book was. The concept of Death narrating the storing was fantastic. This author truly knows how to draw you into his story and keep you there. I found myself puting down this book for a few days at a time in order to fully absorb some of the things the author was describing. THANKS so much house-elfdobby for including me and Aceof Hearts for sending. Shausha has asked to be placed at the bottom of the list and I am awaiting UnwrittenLibra's address. Will mail it on when I receive it, will JE again at that time.

Journal Entry 22 by spoiledrotten from Waldwick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, April 26, 2008
Sent out this morning to UnwriitenLibra! Enjoy.

Journal Entry 23 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Monday, April 28, 2008
Got it today in Amherst, Massachusetts...a perfect rainy day surprise, thanks, Liz! With finals coming up, I have A LOT of reading to do (in addition to the 1 other bookring I have) so it might be a few weeks. Thanks again!

Journal Entry 24 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, May 22, 2008
A truly spellbinding book - I finished it this morning at 3 AM, in my bed in Baltimore, Maryland. I got really wrapped in it - it was an experience in itself. I'm not going to say much more to spare spoiling it.

Off to Scrutiny in Hong Kong soon.

Journal Entry 25 by UnwrittenLibra from Middleton, Wisconsin USA on Friday, May 23, 2008
Mailed to Scrutiny in Hong Kong today from Ocean City, Maryland! Go book go!

Journal Entry 26 by scrutiny on Thursday, June 26, 2008
Hello hello, the book's arrived! Just finished my last read so will get started immediately. Thanks UnwrittenLibra!

Journal Entry 27 by scrutiny on Thursday, July 24, 2008
Well my month with this book is almost up, and I haven't been able to bring myself to finish it. I am two thirds of the way through and I simply find it too depressing to continue! Technically I should not give it a rating, having chosen not to finish it, but I think I've read enough to make some insightful comments about it. I find the plot was quite original - it had enough twists and turns to make me want to guess what was coming up next. It's not predictable in any way. What I did find grating was the tone of the book - it's written much in the same dull, repetitive, resigned voice throughout the book, which I didn't find appealing at all. In spite really wanting to know what the outcome is of this book, I simply can't bring myself to finish it.

The one most redeeming point about this book for me was the choice of narrator. (I won't say who so as not to spoil the surprise for future readers). But I thought that was quite an original spin.

Nice enough, but I'm ready to move it on!

Journal Entry 28 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, August 09, 2008
The book arrived already earlier this week, but I didn't get to mail until now. Thank you very much for posting scrutiny (especially for the wonderful bird stamps!), will start to read this as soon as I get done with another bookring I am reading right now. Looking forward...

Journal Entry 29 by AgdaAgulina from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I really really liked this book. Though I read a lot and mostly like what I read, still I have a feeling that I haven't experienced anything like this for a loooong time. It was tough read as well as charming, definetely very cleverly and unusually written. Very inspiring too. Somehow I keep having Liesel and his father (so similar to mine!) close to me still. I read it partly in Germany too, and really had to keep myself of NOT saying saukerl to people, though it was on my lips constantly.

I am very thankful for this ring.
And next, Finland.

Journal Entry 30 by AgdaAgulina at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

The Book Thief travels on... hope the trip will be safe all the way to Ipsu.

Journal Entry 31 by Ipsu from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, November 02, 2008
The book arrived safe and sound!!Thank you!