Once Upon a Day: A Novel

by Lisa Tucker | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LGinder on 10/28/2007
Journal Entry 1 by LGinder on Sunday, October 28, 2007
from the cover:

Ninetten years ago, a famous filmmaker disappeared from LA, taking his two children to a desolate corner of New Mexico. There he raised them in complete isolation without tv, computer, radio or even a newspaper. Now, at 23, Dorothea leaves in search of her missing brother and ventures into the outside world for the first time. Her search becomes an odyssey of discovery when she meets Stephen Spaulding, a cab driver dealing with his own mysterious history. With him as her guide she uncovers the truth of her family's past and the terrifying day that changed her father forever.

A very unusual book plot line but one that kept me glued to it to find out what happened next. Can't say much in the journal entry without possibly ruining it for the next reader, sorry!

Highly recommend.

Journal Entry 2 by LGinder at Mailed to next particpant in by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 26, 2007

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2007 UTC) at Mailed to next particpant in by mail, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into covergirl book box.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, December 21, 2007
I could've sworn this title was on my wishlist, but I couldn't find it there. Then I thought maybe it HAD been on my wishlist & I took it off because I had a copy somewhere on my shelves & didn't remember that I did (HATE it when that happens! LOL!), but it's nowhere to be found, so I'm snagging it now! :') Removing it from the bookbox, in other words!

Journal Entry 4 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, April 08, 2008
This one had a very intriguing storyline (& I like the title of the book!). It was also very engrossing & I found that, although I didn't read it in just one or two sittings, I kept finding myself going back soon after I stopped reading because I was curious as to what was going to happen next. My main complaint about this book was the character of Dorothea. I realize that growing up as sheltered as she did, some ignorance on her part is going to be plausible, but I found her character more annoying than anything. In real life, someone like her would drive me crazy! And there were parts of the book that I thought were almost a little too sickeningly sweet. Other than that, though, I very much enjoyed the plotline and the development of the story, alternating between past & present. I'd star rate it as a 7.5 if I could.

Probably going to re-release this into my upcoming bookbox! (I think it'll probably be taken before it gets to you again, LGinder!)

Journal Entry 5 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Okay, I held onto it longer than I'd intended, and now it's coming back your way, LGinder, since I'm putting into sweetsangria's "water" bookbox which is coming to you next. So just smile & pass it on -- I'm sure someone after you will want it! :')

Journal Entry 6 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
chosen from sweetsangria's Water Bookbox

Journal Entry 7 by ladybug74 at Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, January 15, 2012
Loved this book! I have read it in just a few days' time, whenever I could find time to read.

Basically a girl who has been raised in isolation since a very young age leaves home in search of her brother and the first person she meets is a man who has separated himself from his own previous life. Each had events in his or her past which we learn more about as the book progresses. I don't know what else to say without ruining the book for others, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and would not mind trying more books by this author after reading this one.

Journal Entry 8 by ladybug74 at Dothan, Alabama USA on Friday, March 09, 2012
Adding to bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

Journal Entry 9 by ladybug74 at Bookbox in Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 02, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (6/2/2012 UTC) at Bookbox in Book Box, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to JennyC1230 as part of a virtual bookbox. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, June 08, 2012
Received from Bookstogive's General Literature VBB. Thanks for sending it!

Journal Entry 11 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, August 09, 2013
My Review: I really loved this story. There were so many facets to the book with different characters who were all connected in some way. Once I started reading it, it was nearly impossible to put down. I've never read this author before, but I plan to look for more of her books!

Saved for a Bookbox.

Journal Entry 12 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Friday, November 22, 2013
Putting into the 10th round of Bookstogive's General Literature VBB.

This is an amazing book, I hope someone picks it. ;-)

Released 7 yrs ago (1/9/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to dabercro from the General Literature VBB. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Journal Entry 14 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Thursday, January 23, 2014
Arrived in the mail today. Looking forward to reading this book after reading the reviews. Thanks for sending this along.

Journal Entry 15 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014
I enjoyed this book. A famous and wealthy filmmaker disappears with his two young children. He raises them in complete isolation in New Mexico. When the children become adults, Jimmy leaves home in search of answers. Dorothea goes in search of her missing brother. They will learn the truth of their family's past and the events that lead to their father "abducting" them.

Released 6 yrs ago (3/19/2014 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent to Aberpeter in WA.

Journal Entry 17 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Monday, March 24, 2014
thank you dabercro.

Journal Entry 18 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Tuesday, July 22, 2014
I was very much engrossed in this book and did not want to put it down.

Dorothea and her brother Jimmy are raised in isolation from the outside world. At the age of 23, Jimmy leaves home in search of answers. Shortly after, his 21 year old sister leaves and tries to find her brother. In searching for answers they learn that everything they once thought was true was nothing more than an elaborate lie.

Journal Entry 19 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (10/16/2014 UTC) at Kirkland, Washington USA

sending to NancyNova as part of the wishlist tag game.

Journal Entry 20 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, October 26, 2014
Got the book. Thanks. I have no idea why I had this on my wishlist. Probably heard of it somewhere. Adding to the TBR sooner/tagged stash.

Journal Entry 21 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, March 19, 2015
Pulled to read for the "O" bookring.

Journal Entry 22 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, November 21, 2017
well, the O bookbox didn't happen, so now pulled for the "T" author bookring