Collected Stories of Colette

by Colette | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Mpurr of Eliot, Maine USA on 3/3/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Mpurr from Eliot, Maine USA on Thursday, March 06, 2003
mailed and on it's way to the one who requested it in exchange for Sandman.
Thanks!

Journal Entry 2 by bayouposte from Bossier City, Louisiana USA on Monday, March 24, 2003
Arrived on Saturday while I was out of town. Since I have several books in my TBR pile, it might be a while before I get to it, but will journal again then. Thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by bayouposte from Bossier City, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Colette's short stories are truly gems. These stories date from 1908 to 1945 and are as pertinent and modern as if written today. What an observer--she sketches scenes with such detail that the fabrics in the dresses she describes shimmer delicately, Valentine's shallow concerns and staunch loyalty win my sympathy, the wasp indulging in the sweet stickiness of a tart is now in my catalogue of memories as if it were my own. Written so long ago, and yet so immediate, her precise language reveals people and places absolutely real and familiar.

The book is long, 600 pages, and I would put it aside after a few stories and save them for an occasional treat, like chocolates left on the pillow of a hotel bed, to be savored, but not overly indulged in for fear of taking them for granted.