Murder In Little Italy

by Victoria Thompson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by chronicbooker3 of Hamilton, Ontario Canada on 10/23/2007
Journal Entry 1 by chronicbooker3 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Called to attend a birth in Little Italy, Sarah finds an anxious family: Young Nainsi Ruocco's baby is being born too early. But when he proves to be a fat, lusty lad, their concern turns to fury-the child was obviously conceived before the girl and her husband had even met. The next morning, Sarah returns to check on the new mother, and finds Nainsi dead in her bed.
The family insists that the death was from complications of childbirth. Sarah thinks not.

Journal Entry 2 by chronicbooker3 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 28, 2008
An average mystery.

This was mailed to Nikel sometime in early May.

Journal Entry 3 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, October 15, 2008
I am so sorry, I just saw that I didn't make a journal entry for this great book.
Thanks again for sharing with me.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me.

Reserved for: RABCK - Europe Only: Pay it Forward Book Relay

Journal Entry 4 by nikel27 at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/30/2010 UTC) at RABCK, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

RABCK - Europe Only: Pay it Forward Book Relay

Journal Entry 5 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, April 22, 2010
This book arrived on Monday, thank you! The BCID marked on the label is wrong, but after some investigating I was finally able to track down the correct BCID and journal the book. I'll make a correction on the label too so that the next readers have it a bit easier :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, January 09, 2011
This was the first Victoria Thompson book I've read. It was entertaining enough but not as interesting as I'd thought it would be.

The blurbs on the back claim that the book "transports the reader back in time" but I disagree. I noticed that I often forgot I was supposed to be reading about turn-of-the-century New York because to me the characters could just as easily have been contemporary. Therefore the occasional historical details almost felt superfluous.

I may read another Gaslight Mystery if I come across one but I certainly won't go out of my way to find one.

***

This book will now travel to Appelsiini in Valkeakoski as she chose it from an envelope of mystery novel excerpts circling in Finland.

Keep Them Moving 2011 Release Challenge

Reduce Mount TBR 2011 Challenge

Journal Entry 7 by wingAnnimanniwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (1/19/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Happy travels - and happy reading!

Journal Entry 8 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, January 20, 2011
Received this one today, thanks Annimanni! :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 18, 2011
I think this was an old-fashioned murder mystery and liked it. The story was anyhow quite ordinary, but still entertaining and this was one of the books which I couldn't lay down after starting to read! Maybe I'll read another Gaslight Mystery, too!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAppelsiiniwing at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Thursday, August 18, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (8/19/2011 UTC) at Valkeakoski, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Next reader is in US, travel safe! :)

Journal Entry 11 by raralovestoread at Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Saturday, September 10, 2011
I received this book a couple of days ago as part of dutch-book's 2nd Int. Mystery/Thriller 1st Sentence VBB. The first sentence: "Sarah Brandt was just clearing away the luncheon dishes when she heard someone ringing her front doorbell."

Thanks for sharing, Appelsiini!

Journal Entry 12 by raralovestoread at Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, April 04, 2012
I finished this book in 3 days! I am not much of a mystery reader, but this book was gripping. It's the first time I've read a book in the Gaslight Mystery series. Next time I'm in the mood for a mystery, I'll choose another of these.

Journal Entry 13 by raralovestoread at Ponchatoula, Louisiana USA on Wednesday, September 05, 2018
I mailed this book yesterday as part of iwillrejoice's ABC Authors Book Rings - US version - Letter T.

Journal Entry 14 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, September 26, 2018
taking from the "T" bookring