The Castle of Otranto

by Horace Walpole | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by angela861 of Chicago, Illinois USA on 10/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Monday, October 22, 2007
Description:
One of the first, great Gothic novels, and one of the most influential books in literary history, this thrilling tale abounds in adventure, suspense, and supernatural occurrences. In a realm where a villain reigns, mysterious events aid in fulfilling a prophecy that spells doom for the ruler and justice for the rightful heir.

Journal Entry 2 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2008
I had to take a break from another book I'm reading and ended up reading this in a day. Hmmm... Not that great. It was super short and nothing really happened. I know it is the first "gothic" novel so you have to consider that when you read it. Nothing special... another 1001 book off my list!

I will give to ChiBoiler the next time I see her!

Released 11 yrs ago (4/20/2008 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

I'm handing off to ChiBoiler. Just remember that it is short!

Journal Entry 4 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
received this book this weekend! sorry for the delay in catching it...

Journal Entry 5 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, June 08, 2008
Interesting, short book. Reminded me of a soap opera...drama, drama, drama all crammed into 75 pages...

Will pass this on to another bookcrosser reading the 1001 list.

Released 11 yrs ago (6/27/2008 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

releasing to a fellow bookcrosser working on the 1001 list

Journal Entry 7 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 26, 2009
I'm offering this book as an int'l bookray. The book is a small paperback book. Please read and pass it to the next person within a month.

Participants (Subject to change w/o notice):

1. EmgeeNL - Netherlands (Int'l)
2. shovelmonkey1 - UK (UK/EU)
3. Jozebedee - UK (UK/EU)
4. bookvole - UK
5. pinkydinky - UK (UK/EU)
6. Danielle23 - UK (UK/Int'l)
7. cat207 - AUS (AUS/Int'l)
8. davemurray101 - AUS (Int'l)
9. jneni - Singapore (Int'l)

Journal Entry 8 by angela861 at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/5/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Off to the first participant! :-) Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 9 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 09, 2009
The book arrived today, indeed a very tiny book. Thank you Angela861 for making this one into a ray.
After I finish reading my curent book I wil start in this one.

Journal Entry 10 by EmgeeNL from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 09, 2009
After I finish reading my curent book I wil start in this one.

It is indeed a very short story,one that I enjoyed reading. I just love the way things are described and stuff. Really enjoyable book.

Journal Entry 11 by EmgeeNL at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/16/2009 UTC) at Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

The book is on it's way to the next reader, enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, June 18, 2009
Received today, safe and well, in the office and opened under the watchful eyes of my friends who want to know why i get loads of books sent here and where they all come from. wow, this is much thinner than i imagined it would be. will read and release to the next reader on the list within the upcoming seven days. thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by shovelmonkey1 from Penge, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, June 22, 2009
This book is very Shakespearian in style and can be difficult to read in places. I enjoyed the fact that the female characters were very much at the centre of the plot which must have been unusual for the period in which the book was written, although admittedly, it is more the state of their emotions, particularly towards their men-folk which puts them at the heart of this rather than their own characters and motivations. Their lives are dictated by the men around them (most of whom some to be self serving, self aggrandising and unfaithful!). Manfred gets extra evil baddie points for trying to trade in his wife for a younger model with the rather rubbish excuse that he's only doing it with the country's best interests at heart!

Journal Entry 14 by shovelmonkey1 at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/22/2009 UTC) at Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom

Passing this on to Jozebedee who is the next in line on the Bookring. It's heading to you today - hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 15 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 29, 2009
Thanks shovelmonkey1 - it has arrived safely here. Thanks to angela861 for organising the ray - I will get to it asap. :-)

Journal Entry 16 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 20, 2009
I wasn't sure that I was going to enjoy this book, however I did - very much so! Thanks for organising this ray angela861. That's another 1001 off my list :)
Sending off to bookvole tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by Jozebedee at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sorry its gone a day later than planned, but is now in the post on its way to bookvole!

Journal Entry 18 by bookvole from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, September 25, 2009
This arrived yesterday. I will start reading it today, and am taking it on a train journey tomorrow, so hopefully will finish it soon.

Journal Entry 19 by bookvole from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2009
I actually found the information about Horace Walpole, the author, more interesting than the book itself. Perhaps this was additionally so for me, as when at University I went to Strawberry Hill and performed in a concert without knowing anything about the building. I found the book interesting at first, but I my interest waned as it became embroiled in rather tedious details about the guards/armies, etc. Also, the description of the ghostly apparitions lacked skill; I found it hard to picture some of the scenes.
Overall, glad I read it as I have read several books similar to this by Ann Radcliffe and Sheridan Lefanu which I thought were better. Might try "The Monk", maybe.

Journal Entry 20 by bookvole at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/1/2009 UTC) at Melksham, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Put in post today.

Hope you enjoy it

Journal Entry 21 by pinkydinky on Saturday, October 03, 2009
Thanks Bookvole for sending & Angela861 for sharing. Will read asap.

Journal Entry 22 by pinkydinky on Friday, October 09, 2009
Like Angela861 this book did nothing for me. I too found the information about the author more interesting. Thanks for sharing. Will PM next in line.

Journal Entry 23 by pinkydinky on Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Posted to Danielle23 yesterday.

Journal Entry 24 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Friday, October 16, 2009
Book arrived safely today, thanks. I can't wait to read this and hope I'm not disappointed xx

Journal Entry 25 by Danielle23 from Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 21, 2009
I enjoyed this book. What could be better to read on a dark and cold night than a gothic fairy tale? A shame that Theodore remained so miserable though. Will be sending off to cat207 as soon as I get to the post office xx

Journal Entry 26 by Danielle23 at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom on Monday, October 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/26/2009 UTC) at Sunderland, Tyne and Wear United Kingdom

Off to cat207, the next in the ray. Hope you enjoy it Cathy xx

Journal Entry 27 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you Danielle (what a beautiful postcard!), and angela861 for sharing your books. X

Journal Entry 28 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Saturday, November 14, 2009
Thankfully a short one! How did each character know which princess was being referred to? I found it very confusing.

Will send on to Dave in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 29 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Just recieved this one in the post today. Thanks to Angela861 for sharing and Cat207 as usual for posting it on.

Journal Entry 30 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, November 21, 2009
Just finished this one this afternoon. A good read, not my favourite style of book but an interesting one anyway. pming jneni.

Journal Entry 31 by davemurray101 at A booklover, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/27/2010 UTC) at A booklover, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

posted to kizmiaz of Lisbon

Journal Entry 32 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, November 04, 2010
Just got it. Thank you very much for sharing.
I'll get to t soon.

Journal Entry 33 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 15, 2010
I've just finished this book and I've enjoied it.
It's a good read although not brilliant, but still you can't help but admire that Walpole was doing this way before anyone else thought about it. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a gothic novel but it's certainly one of the earliest romantic novels, those last few pages are more in that 19th century romantic movement vein than in a gothic mood.
It's worth the read but it's not easy going through some of the slower parts.

Journal Entry 34 by kizmiaz at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, November 18, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (11/18/2010 UTC) at Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal

Sending it to the UK. Thanks for trading!

Journal Entry 35 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, November 24, 2010
Thank you so much for the book - one from my wishlist and one to cross off the 1001 list. It looks really good and all your journal entries make great reading too. Will let you know what I think of it.

Journal Entry 36 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 23, 2011
I quite enjoyed this, although I was very glad it was a short story - it wouldn't have worked as a longer novel. The story was good and the characters well written - the maid was the funniest one, I couldn't help smiling at her waffling and exclaimations when the evil Prince is trying to first get her to talk, then to shut up!! I could well imagine young ladies, swooning and gasping as they read this before heading off to a local ball - :) I wasn't that keen on the ending though - the good guys seem to have been punished and the bad ones to have got off very lightly. However, overall I enjoyed this book and reading just one chapter a day this week prolonged it nicely. I didn't read the introduction stuff about the author though - I am always much more interested in the story itself. Thanks for sharing - this will be travelling on soon.

Journal Entry 37 by dark-draco at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (10/8/2011 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

TAG! Off to the person I tagged in the highly adictive forum Wishlist Tag Game. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 38 by marsala at Chiswick, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 10, 2011
Thank you very much dark-draco!

That was a fun and exciting story, I really enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 39 by marsala at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 23, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/23/2012 UTC) at By mail, a surprise RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Send as a wishlist surprise.

Journal Entry 40 by LiniP at Schwäbisch Hall, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, January 28, 2012
I got this book yesterday as a wishlist surprise. Thank you so much Marsala. It is always a pleasure to get such a well-travelled book. The book is on the German 1,000-books-to-read list and hopefully I will be able to read it soon.