MARGARETTOWN

by Gabriele Zevin | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by msjoanna of Columbia, Missouri USA on 10/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
This book was so delightful that after reading and passing on my first copy, I bought a second copy to give away. The book deserves wider readership.
---------------------------------------
From Publishers Weekly
An unusual telling of boy-meets-girl, Zevin's debut reiterates female complexity through a husband and daughter's experiences with one surprising woman. N., the earnest narrator, describes meeting captivating, mercurial Maggie Towne when he's a grad student. They travel to her childhood home, Margarettown, where he finds no inhabitants save women named Margaret: there's giggling girl May, sullen teenager Mia, bitter middle-aged Marge, wise elderly Old Margaret and suicidal artist Greta, conspicuous by her absence. It's not giving much away to reveal that these women are all Maggie herself ("you won't find a woman in the world that doesn't have a couple other women inside her," she says), though whether Margarettown is a real place or N.'s invention is left in doubt. While the book's first half concerns N.'s struggles to love and understand the various manifestations of Margaret, the end belongs to their daughter, Jane, who reads her father's version of her parents' courtship after they both have died. In between, subplots—about N.'s happy-go-lucky guardian, Margaret's and N.'s adulteries, and N.'s rejected former girlfriend, who eventually falls for N.'s sister, Bess, and raises Jane with her—sometimes feel like padding on a conceit that would have been better expressed in a short story. But the story is darkly whimsical and Zevin's writing is both playful and touching.

(reserved for the October YBS swap on Book Obsessed)

Journal Entry 2 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Monday, November 05, 2007
It's now in the mail to chronicbooker3, who won it in the swap. It's only fair that she won this book as it was on her wishlist and I only heard about it because she was my partner for the Halloween Exchange. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by chronicbooker3 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
This came in the mail today. Im really looking forward to reading it. Thanks

Aug. 2008 - I read this sometime ago and forgot to journal it, but I do remember that I enjoyed the story.

Journal Entry 4 by chronicbooker3 from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 08, 2008
This will be given to my birthday partner. It was on her wishlist

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, August 16, 2008
received in my birthday Package. Thanks. Also read by my other birthday partner :)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 01, 2009
N falls madly in love with Margaret Towne while a grad student. When he goes to visit her family in Margarettown he finds several women named Margaret: May, a little girl, Mia, a sullen teenager, Marge, a cynical middle-aged woman, Greta a 50ish woman who has committed suicide and Marge, old and full of advice.

The first half of the book describes N's and Margaret's love and the struggle of N to understand all the variations of Margaret. The second half belongs to Jane their daughter reading her father's letters and version of his courtship with Margaret, their affairs and eventual 'getting back together'.

Every person does have a multitude of people that make up their whole. That is the gist of the book but I found this book just a bit too philosophical for me.

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 22, 2009
I've mailed this to my Boxing Day Partner.

Journal Entry 8 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, December 26, 2009
A wishlist book! Thank you HL, this one has been on my list a while. Happy Boxing Day!

Journal Entry 9 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Sunday, December 19, 2010
I thought this was kind of a quirky tale and a bit disjointed in spots but overall enjoyable and a very fast read. Chapter 5 where it talks about the meaning, nicknames, alternate spellings and equivalents in different languages was interesting although I remain skeptical about the claim that this is a popular name (I have not found this to be so in my experience).

Journal Entry 10 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/24/2011 UTC) at Cordova, Tennessee USA

sending this in a surprise box of books to another bookcrosser :)

Journal Entry 11 by bookpatch at Lakewood, California USA on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Well, I had to smile when I saw the title of this book, considering where it came from :-) Reading the synopsis, it put me in mind of another "Margaret" book--The Margarets by Sheri S. Tepper, which coincidentally also explores the multiple personalities of a character named Margaret--is there something about this name that suggests multi-facetness? (is that a word?) Looking forward to what looks like an interesting read!

Journal Entry 12 by bookpatch at Lakewood, California USA on Thursday, April 09, 2015
It took me a while to get around to this one. I did think it was interesting; if I had to compare it to another book I think I'd choose Life of Pi in that there's that same "are we talking metaphorically?" question that pops up as you read. And like Pi, the question doesn't need to be definitively answered in order to enjoy the book. Some of the open-endedness is what makes it appealing, I think. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 13 by bookpatch at Lawndale, California USA on Friday, November 13, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Lawndale, California USA

How very fitting to be able to release this book to another Margaret! Happy Reading!