The Glass Palace

by Amitav Ghosh | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000651409x Global Overview for this book
Registered by CynthiaA of Brantford, Ontario Canada on 10/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, October 16, 2007
I got this book off of Bookmooch to replace a copy lost in the mail for a Bookring.

Lauraloo started this bookring here.

The following readers will receive this copy of the book after me:

AceofHearts - Canada (Intl)
iliotropio - Belgium (Intl)
Hawkette - Australia (Australia)
DrCris - Australia (Aus & NZ)

Journal Entry 2 by CynthiaA from Brantford, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 13, 2007
A fantastic book. Rich and multi-layered characters who are easy to empathize with. Fascinating settings in a part of the world I know little about. Informative details about historical events I knew little about. And an eye opener on the horrors of colonialism.

Small spoilers below... if you haven't read the book yet -- don't read further!

My favorite character was Dolly -- I loved how she grew and developed over the period of the story. I also really liked Alison and Dinu -- especially together. And I did like how the author explained more about Dinu at the end. The character I liked the least was Arjun. But I love what the author did with him at the end... such an unexpected and yet somewhat "just" fate for him. I was disappointed about how Manju's tragedy was dealt with -- it didn't feel authentic to me. And I would have liked hoping for a little more depth to Ilongo's character. What I liked the most was the way the families were tied together. It would have been nice to see Alison bear Dinu's child so that Saya John could have a great-grandchild descendant of 'both' his families.

I will definately seek out more of this author's work.

This book is travelling to the next reader.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 26, 2007
received in the mail today with a very nice hand-stamped and decorated bookmark. Thanks so much!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 04, 2007
A very interesting historical fiction! This book covers three generations of Burmese-Indian people. I found it quite disturbing how the English treated their colonials. Their justification of this treatment sounds too familiar even today. The question about responsibility for the conquered is also explored.

I knew little about this part of the world; only that my father was stationed there during the war. The deposing of the Burmese king through to the second World War are described and are fascinating to read about. Ghosh writes about love, loyalty, allegiances, and suffering.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, December 12, 2007
mailed today to iliotropio

Journal Entry 6 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, February 21, 2008
Arrived safely in Brussels after more than 2 months on the road! Thank you AceofHearts!

Journal Entry 7 by iliotropio from Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Wednesday, April 16, 2008
A feast!
On its way to Hawkette.

Journal Entry 8 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, May 02, 2008
Has arrived with me in wintery Melbourne.
I have wanted to read this for quite sometime. I am worried though, that all things Burma fuels the travel bug even more...hmmmm.

Journal Entry 9 by Hawkette from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 10, 2009
I have sent DrCris a PM every couple of months, and each time I get a prompt reply telling me that she has received a copy already....and I forget each time, and PM her again when I review the books I have here, and feel guilt for still having them!
I will get to this, and then send it on somewhere....

Journal Entry 10 by Hawkette at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, August 26, 2013
I have loved reading this book - which I carried with me to read as I was approaching Burma and then travelling through to India. As the characters were moving from one country to the other, so was I! Perfect!
Being within this book made these places come to life, and travelling at the same time made their scenes and this history all the more important to me. And it filled in so many gaps in my history reading as I was travelling!
I was engaged with so many of the characters, which were so well fleshed out, and came to life on the pages. A book that has stayed with me, long after the final pages!

Released 5 yrs ago (8/27/2013 UTC) at Federation Square (Details in notes) in Melbourne, Victoria Australia

Left on a chair in the Atrium as a left a Melbourne Writers Festival talk on Development Verses Tradition....