Scuba Dancing

by Nicola Slade | Women's Fiction |
ISBN: 1905175019 Global Overview for this book
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 10/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2007
A bright, intelligent and at times darkly witty novel of ageing, loneliness, cruelty and redeeming love, Scuba Dancing is a cut above the average. Finn, at forty-five, has had enough her no-ties wild life, and enough of men, and returns to England to live with her sister in a quiet English village. The former high-flyer soon finds herself not only working in an occult shop and serving, rather well, as a stand-in clairvoyant, but also surrounded by a dazzling array of the most eccentric, and the most credible, cast of characters that you are likely to stumble across. From the timid Rosemary and her senile mother whose prudery has been replaced by a penchant for groping men and morning walks in the nude, to the gin-swilling Delia and the angel-seeing Ursula, each and every one is exquisitely drawn and all, in their own way, charming. It is the wonderfully comfortable characterisation that sustains this novel, not its plot – although this is well-worked – or deftly woven prose.

This is not a novel of great profoundness and it doesn’t demand to be taken too seriously yet, encased in its light and easy style, are simple messages about the human condition that lift it above the norm and make it a more than usually satisfy read. It’s entertaining, and mildly uplifting, but most of the time it’s pure fun.

Take this novel; add an armchair, a pot of tea and a few chocolate biscuits and you have the perfect recipe for a good evening’s entertainment.

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, October 14, 2007
I'm opening this book up as a book ring (ie I'd like it back at the end of its travels). If you would like to join, please send me a PM with your name and country of where you live. Please also say if are not prepared to post internationally - otherwise I will assume that you can.(I'll try to order the list so that postage costs are kept to a minimum).

Some brief "rules"
* Journal the book when you receive it.
* PM the next person on the list for their address when you receive it so as to try to avoid hold-ups later on.
* If you don't hear from the next participant within a few days, PM them again. If after a few more days you still haven't heard from them, PM me to let me know, and move on to the next person on the list.
* Read (and hopefully enjoy!) Don't feel pressurised to read it in a rush (and remember that life gets in the way sometimes for all of us!) but if you need to keep hold of the book for longer than say six weeks or a couple of months, please journal to let us know.
* Journal again when you've read it to let us know what you think of it!
* Surface/economy mail is fine, but please make a note in a journal entry so the person you're sending to has a rough idea of when to expect it.

Participants (in order)

LindyLouMac (Italy)
Marie-therese (UK)
Midlifecrisis (UK)
Tregossip (UK)
Tanamo (UK)
Pooker3 (Canada)

Grateful if the last person could send the book back to me.

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 19, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (10/20/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent by post to LindyLouMac to kick off this book ring. Happy travels, little book. Come back safely sometime.

Journal Entry 4 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, November 03, 2007
Arrived safely, having taken a little longer than recent parcels. Another Transita that I am looking forward to reading very soon, two ahead of it, but I am not a slow reader! thanks Rivercassini for letting me join this ring and have the honour of being first, also for the enclosed treat. Naughty but nice!

Journal Entry 5 by LindyLouMac from Tywyn, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, November 11, 2007
A humorous and witty romance tinged with sadness. A group of colourful and eccentric older villagers get together and form a social group ‘Hope Springs’ The initial aims of the group were to barter skills with each other and make new friendships thus combating loneliness.
They decide to start fund raising for alleged good causes! For instance one of the group, Ursula has a dream of going Scuba Dancing and the fund raising helps this dream come true, though maybe not as expected?
It is certainly not a tale to be taken seriously but this odd group of characters cannot fail to amuse and lift your spirits. Curl up and enjoy.

Released 11 yrs ago (11/19/2007 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

En route to Marie-Therese in the UK

Journal Entry 7 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 22, 2007
Arrived safely today all the way from Italy, thanks to LindyLouMac for sending it and to Rivercassini for sharing :o) Talk about buses all coming at once, this is the 4th ring I've recieved this week!! I hate to hold rings up and will read it and pass it on as soon as I can and definitely within 6 weeks.

Journal Entry 8 by marie-therese from Kirkintilloch, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, December 07, 2007
This was a lovely read with some interesting and quirky characters. Not a book to be taken seriously but with some interesting observations on growing older. Thanks again for sharing :o) Have already PMed Midlifecrisis for her address and will post it off asap.

Posted 1st Class today.

Journal Entry 10 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, December 13, 2007
Safely received today - thank you Marie Therese, and thank you too for the lovely goldfish postcard, which brought back many memories of household pets that met sad endings when the chilren were small!

Journal Entry 11 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Sorry, I just couldn't engage with this and kept thinking about other books I wanted to start. So after 80 or so pages I decided the time had come to pass it on. I already have Tregossip's address and will get the book in the post to her in the New Year.

Journal Entry 12 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Monday, December 31, 2007
Posted to Tregossip today

Journal Entry 13 by Tregossip from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Thanks one and all, arrived today - will start soon

I was ready to give up until about page 70. Then (for me)there was a greater development of the characters from just batty old biddies with assorted hangers on into individual eccentrics.

The plot strengthened also

Repetitive dialogue (esp between the two sisters) could have used more editing

A frothy light quick read and thanks - waiting for Tanamo's addy

Journal Entry 14 by Tregossip at -- Controlled release in St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Monday, January 21, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (1/23/2008 UTC) at -- Controlled release in St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom

to Tanamo

Journal Entry 15 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 24, 2008
Arrived safely today. Thanks Tregossip.

Journal Entry 16 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 24, 2008
Enjoyable, gentle tale.

I will pm pooker3 so this book can continue it's journey.

Journal Entry 17 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, February 25, 2008
Mailed to Pooker3 today.

Journal Entry 18 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Wow! That was quick! The book is here! I love the blurb on the cover, "Packed with delightful, unforgettable eccentric characters..."

When my kids were little and we took them with us on long road trips, we would buy them activity books to keep them from being bored. I remember when the youngest was but four years old and I'd handed her a book over the back seat, she read the front of it and exclaimed with obvious enthusiasm, "Packed with fun things to do!"

I figure a book "packed" with something has gotta be good!

Journal Entry 19 by wingPooker3wing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, March 28, 2008
When I first started reading this book, I thought it was going to be a tad on the light side for me to truly enjoy investing the time it would take to read it. Yes, I suppose I am a bit of a book snob. But I do not care for the typical romance at all, nor for chatty chic lit types either. However, due perhaps to my being of a "certain age" myself and occasionally prone to a little navel gazing about my own life path, I was drawn into this motley crew's story.

On the surface it is a lighthearted and amusing tale of a bunch of older misfits finding a comfortable fit. I allowed the author to appeal to my kinder more sensitive side and I did sympathize with her characters for the predicaments and circumstances life had dealt them. I did root for them and wish them a happier, more meaningful future. At the same time though my more righteous, holier-than-though side could not help but be critical of the lot of them. Frankly, making yourselves the beneficiary of your first charitable bequest is wrong. Stealing is wrong. And dumping your sister-in law's body to rot while you go off "dancing" is really wrong. And the fact that life has given you some hard knocks does not make it right.

All in all an easy read, light but thought provoking at the same time. Thank you Rivercassini for the chance to read this story.

Tanamo, I pm'd you about a week or so ago about the really fitting and snazzy book string I found in the book. As I haven't heard back from you (maybe you're not getting your pms or you're busy) and as Rivercassini has said she does not need the book back, I'll be releasing the book but greedily keeping the bookstring for me, me, me me!

Um...would that be wrong? :)

Released 11 yrs ago (4/8/2008 UTC) at Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone-Le Garage Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

As Rivercassini has said that she does not need this book back, I'll take it to the meet-up to see whether I can find it a new reader. If no takers, I'll leave it on our OBCZ shelf as I understand the shelves could use a bit of replenishing.

Journal Entry 21 by wingwinnipegobczwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 12, 2008
This book is waiting on the Winnipeg Official Bookcrossing Zone shelves for someone to take it on a bookcrossing adventure!

Journal Entry 22 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
I picked this up at our last meeting at Le Garage. To be added to Mt. ToBeRead, and released in the future.

Journal Entry 23 by teenie-k from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, September 07, 2008
This book was a delightful read.

An eclectic group of lonely people, getting together to help each other out through a "barter club", soon find themselves providing so much more for each other than music lessons and carpentry.

I was pleasantly entertained, as each of the characters made their journey to happiness, meaning, and freedom in their own ways.

Journal Entry 24 by teenie-k at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, September 07, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/8/2008 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re-releasing at the opening of Winnipeg's NEW official
bookcrossing zone at the Park Theatre Movie Cafe Loft.

Journal Entry 25 by wingCJL-230711wing on Monday, September 08, 2008
I couldn't resist picking this up at tonight's bookcrossing meet-up - teenie-k made it sound like a good read and it's always fun to pick up a well-travelled book. Thanks teenie-k!

Journal Entry 26 by wingCJL-230711wing on Saturday, January 17, 2009
I'm taking this already well-travelled book on vacation. I will read and release it somewhere enroute between Winnipeg and the Panama Canal. I'll make release notes when I return, or if it's already been journalled, I'll just update this entry.

Journal Entry 27 by wingCJL-230711wing on Sunday, February 01, 2009
This novel about a group of eccentric, mostly elderly, people in an English village was easy holiday reading. But, like Pooker3, I found myself being critical of what I saw as unacceptable behaviour on their part - the fraudulent fundraising for the elderly as a front, but in reality for a luxury Caribbean vacation for themselves. I was also put off by the character who had sex with the husband of a dying woman, and the derogatory terms used by one character for German and Japanese people, unnecessarily I thought. But overall, it was readable and not to be taken too seriously.

I decided that the best place to release this on my travels was the ship's library. It could end up anywhere - port of call or back to a fellow traveller's home base.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you'll enjoy this book and explore the Bookcrossing site. It's loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey. You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join up I hope you will consider using me, mrsgaskell, as the one who referred you.

Journal Entry 29 by redsal376 from Northampton, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Picked up book in ships library on last day of cruise.I am afraid I struggled to get into this story and after several attempts have decided to pass on without finishing. I plan on leaving in the dental surgery waiting room where I work as a hygienist, this is in Northampton UK.