Casino Royale (Penguin Viking Lit Fiction)

by Ian Fleming | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 10/13/2007
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, October 13, 2007
Although I read all the Bonds many years ago, this is the first in a new 'retro' print, so worth acquiring again...on the shortlist for the Ipswich 'splinter' book group :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, October 20, 2007
Finished today, and a brilliant trip down memory lane; not the polished, gadget-lovin, globe-trotting, girl-grabbing movie Bond, but a tougher, more vulnerable, altogether more 'real' secret agent circa 1953. The recent Daniel Craig film was very good, but had to take the central idea and expand and adapt it for the genre. I am now very tempted to re-read the whole series, in order as Fleming intended...help me I must be sick!

Passed on at our recent book group Halloween special, I hadn't meant to formerly 'release' this but as I have bought a batch of 2nd hand Bonds, this is now surplus to needs.

Thank you SamwiseUK for labelling (BCID in pencil near the back somewhere); happy for you to keep or pass on as you see fit :)

Journal Entry 4 by samwiseuk from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, February 09, 2008
Was kindly given this by fellow Bxer BookGroupMan, as we've failed to get our splinter reading group to select it as our monthly choice.

Good book, I thought - Bond's a bit more overconfident than I'd expect, but I guess that's the point of the first book.

I hope in the sequels he starts paying a bit more attention to what's going on around him. :)

He seems rather too obsessed with the cocktail he's invented, "The Vesper". Less of that and more looking around for those who would like to blow him up, might be prudent!

Overall, a good read, tho.

I'll drop this off at the Ipswich meet at Caffe Nero today @ 11:00.

Sam.

Journal Entry 5 by Uncruliar from Leiston, Suffolk United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 17, 2008
I picked this book up in Cafe Nero, Ipswich while I was releasing two books myself.

Journal Entry 6 by Uncruliar from Leiston, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 13, 2008
I have never read a Bond book before but when I saw this on the shelf at Cafe Nero I remembered that a former colleague had once told me that the books were well worth reading. I really enjoyed this book. As my colleague had told me Bond is a much more rounded character here than in the films. I will certainly look out for toehr Bond books in future.

Journal Entry 7 by Uncruliar at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, October 13, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/13/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

I've read it now I'm releasing it back into the wild.