Fired!: Tales of the Canned, Canceled, Downsized, & Dismissed

by Annabelle Gurwitch | Humor |
Registered by deidramacleod of Natick, Massachusetts USA on 11/17/2007
Journal Entry 1 by deidramacleod from Natick, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, November 17, 2007
From Publishers Weekly
Gurwitch's popular Web site (www.firedbyannabellegurwitch.com) entices people to turn in their best tales of their worst firings; the cream of that crop is gathered in this star-studded collection of misery. The book is divided into chapters with titles like "The Job So Terrible You Can Only Hope to Be Fired" and "The Time You Deserved to Be Fired," but mostly it's just tales of horrible things happening to funny people. Gurwitch's own piece—in which she's canned from her role in a play written and directed by an officious Woody Allen, who told her "You look retarded"—is par for the course, with its droll humor and dash of celebrity. Comedians Bill Maher, D.L. Hughley, Bob Saget and Andy Borowitz all get in their zingers, while Illeana Douglas composes a poem that ranges from getting fired as a coat check girl ("How is it/possible to be fired hanging coats?/I have arms. I know what coats are") to high farce with borderline psychotic filmmakers. The few noncelebrities invited to share their woes are generally less funny, though they tend to be more unpredictable, such as the ex–White House chef who provides a nice recipe for seared scallops.

______________

This was a great collection of stories about getting fired. Heavy on showbusiness, but definitely fun and quick to read. Now I'm sending the book to Monroe Township, NJ via PaperbackSwap.

Journal Entry 2 by DameEdna from Monroe Township, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Got this from a paperbackswap.com member. I had heard Gurwitch interviewed, then saw a bit of her "play" based upon the book and thought it would be a lot of fun to read.

Journal Entry 3 by DameEdna from Monroe Township, New Jersey USA on Saturday, January 12, 2008
Really a fun and quick read. I had to copy the part about Jack Welch for my sister, who used to work for GE and still has seizures when she sees the logo. I'm saving this for NYannayon, who could write her own chapter.

Journal Entry 4 by nyannayon from Mechanicsville, Maryland USA on Sunday, August 17, 2008
Received as a gift from sister reader, DameEdna. Thank You, DameEdna! erhaps I WILL write my own chapter!

Journal Entry 5 by nyannayon from Mechanicsville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
DameEdna sent me this. It's funny whether or not you've ever been fired.

Journal Entry 6 by nyannayon at Mechanicsville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, May 24, 2011
A friend gave it to me when didn't think I'd think it was funny. She was right and I was wrong.

Journal Entry 7 by nyannayon at Staples in California, Maryland USA on Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (5/24/2011 UTC) at Staples in California, Maryland USA