Chart Throb

by Ben Elton | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 059305749x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Simmer of Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on 10/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Sunday, October 07, 2007
Chart Throb. The ultimate pop quest.

Ninety-five thousand hopefuls. Three judges. Just one winner.

And that's Calvin Simms, the genius behind the show.

Calvin always wins because Calvin writes the rules. But this year, as he sits in judgement upon the Mingers, Clingers and Blingers whom he has pre-selected in his carefully scripted 'search' for a star, he has no idea that the rules are changing. The 'real' is about to be put back into 'reality' television and Calvin and his fellow judges are about to become ex-factors themselves.

Ben Elton, author of Popcorn and Dead Famous, returns to blistering comic satire with a savagely hilarious deconstruction of the world of modern television talent shows.

Journal Entry 2 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2007
I really enjoyed this book - I've always been suspicious of some aspects of X Factor, but I think this book is definitely an eye-opener even for the most cynical of viewers! I loved the obvious comparisons between Calvin, Beryl & Rodney and Simon, Sharon and Louis - I think Sharon Osbourne must have upset Ben Elton at some point though, because Beryl definitely comes across as the worst judge!!

I've still been watching the current series of X Factor and it's been funny to spot things that are in the book, for example the constant "I want this SO much" and "Own that song/stage/etc".

I'm setting up a Bookring for this book.

Journal Entry 3 by Simmer from Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Friday, November 09, 2007
This is the order for the Chart Throb Bookring:

1. etripney

2. BookGroupMan

3. TheDunedan

4. Lippycow

... Then back to Simmer

Usual Bookring guidelines apply:

1. When you receive the book, make a journal entry to let the previous person know that you've got it.

2. When you're done with the book, make another journal entry explaining what you thought of it (this can be as long or as short as you'd like). Then PM the next person on the list for their contact details and post it along to them.

3. Try to be finished with the book within 4 to 6 weeks.

If there are any questions, please let me know and I hope you all enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 4 by etripney from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 08, 2007
Recieved in book ring. I am reading a book at the momment but will try to get this read over Christmas and sent on.

Journal Entry 5 by etripney from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Really sorry, Forgot all about this book. Will read it from tonight and hopefully get it moved on by next week. Sorry Simmer for stalling this!!! I promise I will move it on asap.

Journal Entry 6 by etripney from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Finally got it read. So sorry for hogging it for so long!!!!!
Good story very funny and actually quite believable which is a bit scary.

I can certainly see the resemblence to Simon, Sharon and Louis

Have it all parceled up and will post it to next on list in the morning.

Once again - SORRY!

Journal Entry 7 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, May 23, 2008
Thanks guys, I had forgotten I was on this 'ring, so a nice surprise to come home to today :) I will probably read this next as light relief after Ali Smith's The Accidental

Journal Entry 8 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2008
A bit like reality TV shows, you don’t want to watch/read, but it’s strangely compelling bubblegum; not so much a road-crash, more like watching cosmetic surgery with commentary by Ant and Dec ;)

This is a straightforward hatchet job on X Factor, complete with the manipulative svengali Calvin Simms (Cowell), grotesque transexual mother figure Beryl Blenheim (both Sharon *and* Ozzy Osbourne!) and the pathetic fall-guy Rodney Root (Walsh) steering a cast of "Clingers, Blingers and Mingers" through the stage-managed ‘singing’ competition. The HRH plot is ridiculous, the deranged Shaiana...and twist, laughable, if it weren’t so obviously contrived. You known what, I really like Ben Elton’s writing, but this satire is a bit heavy-handed, lazy, but almost gruesomely addictive!

Thank you for sharing Simmer.

Passing on to TheDunedan...enjoy :)

Journal Entry 10 by TheDunedan from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 05, 2008
Thank you the book arrived this morning.

Journal Entry 11 by TheDunedan from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 17, 2008
I finished this book today. I found it an enjoyable lighthearted read. I thought of the characters as Simon,Sharon and Louis rather than Calvin, Beryl and Rodney. I will be looking out for the various aspects of the production plans next time I watch the X Factor ! Definately makes you cynical about who gets through !
I will send to the next person once I have their address.

Journal Entry 12 by TheDunedan from Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Sorry - I put this book to one side awaiting next address and then forgot to send on when I received the details.I have posted it off to Lippycow this afternoon. Sorry again - hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 13 by Lippycow from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 07, 2008
I thought this book was N*E*V*E*R going to arrive :) But phew - it DID today.... Looking forward to reading it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 14 by Lippycow from Basingstoke, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Here is a copy of the PM sent to Simmer nearly 3 months ago:Begin forwarded message:

From: "BookCrossing Private Messenger"
Date: 19 September 2009 22:17:29 BST
To: *****
Subject: COPY: Chart throb (book ring) - sent to Simmer

COPY OF MESSAGE SENT TO Simmer:

Hello Simmer,

I have no excuses.... Only a thousand apologies!! I thought this book had
long been sent 'back home' but as I've just found it, clearly I was
mistaken!
Please accept my apologies!

May I have your address please and I'll send it to you immediately.

Thanks again for letting me join the ring :-)

all the best

Lippycow

****
I'll give it a little while longer and if I still dont hear back from Simmer will wild release :-)

Journal Entry 15 by Lippycow at Tylney Hall Hotel in Rotherwick, near Hook, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (1/1/2010 UTC) at Tylney Hall Hotel in Rotherwick, near Hook, Hampshire United Kingdom

Will be left in the ladies restroom closest to the Oak Room (Diningroom)