The Hindi-Bindi Club

by Monica Pradhan | Women's Fiction |
Registered by Brumbie of Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on 10/7/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Brumbie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 07, 2007
For some reason this didn't grab my attention. It certainly falls in the same category as the Joy Luck Club and has some attractive qualities but I felt it was too stereotypical.

Journal Entry 2 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, October 07, 2007
Passed to me by Brumbie today as I'd mentioned I'd like to read it. Joins a mammoth TBR so hopefully I'll get to it fairly soon...

Journal Entry 3 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 05, 2008
I enjoyed this Amy Tan-like tale of 3 women who emigrated to the US from India, and their grown-up daughters. It was a little derivative, but had plenty of value. I guessed some of the storylines but not others, there were some interesting thoughts about culture and language, and it was a nice, easy, curled up on holiday kind of a read.

I will be offering this on a BookRing once I get some more organised.

Journal Entry 4 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 04, 2008
BookRing!

Rules:

1. Journal the book when you receive it
2. Try to read it and send it on within 1 month
3. PM the next reader and send it to them - make a release or journal entry on the book so we can all see its status
4. If you have any problems reading the book in time or getting hold of the next reader, please PM me or use the email address on my profile!

PARTICIPANTS:

Pell Italy (Europe)
Elhamisabel Germany (anywhere)
Oi-reader US-Ohio (anywhere)
Jessibud Canada (Canada/US) <---- it's here

It's a bookray, so it can go where it wants to now!

Giving to Becky1979 tomorrow evening (either direct, or through an intermediary!) on the the start of its bookring. Travel safely, little book!

Journal Entry 6 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 12, 2008
I supposed to pass this to Becky1979 at the Birmingham evening meet - but as she wasn't there it looks like I'm first for this.

Journal Entry 7 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel about mothers and daughters, that is also about belonging,and culture. Some storylines were easily guessed at - but that doesn't spoil what is a gentle holiday/weekend read. I enjoyed the different voices of this novel, and although some of the characters are rather stereotypical they reamin believable and likeable.
Will be passing on soon.

Journal Entry 8 by Becky1979 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
This was waiting for me when arrived back from visiting family. Will get onto reading it asap then pass it on! Thanks!

Journal Entry 9 by Becky1979 from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, June 08, 2008
I enjoyed this book and agree with past comments. Very readable and enjoyable. Have copied down a few of the recipes that are scattered amongst the novel - look forward to trying these out!! Will post off on Monday!

Journal Entry 10 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, June 12, 2008
Arrived safely this morning. Thank you Becky1979.
Will start reading it as soon as I've finished my current read.

Journal Entry 11 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 27, 2008
I took this book on holiday with me. A bit predictable but I still found it an enjoyable read. I'll be trying out a few of the included recipes too.

Posted of to scotsbookie this morning.

Journal Entry 12 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, June 28, 2008
Arrived with me this morning, thank you. #2 on Mount TBR

Journal Entry 13 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 17, 2008
A very enjoyable read. The lives of the 3 Indian born women & their American born daughters were a bit predictable at tmes but nevertheless I enjoyed it & my mouth was watering at some of the recipes.

Thank you LyzzyBee for the chance to read the book. I have Cross-patch's address & will get this on its way asap.

Journal Entry 14 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Many apologies LyzzyBee, for still having this book & therefore being a bad BookCrosser. I had managed to lose Cross-patch's address & then forgot about the book. BUT it is all packaged up & will be posted tomorrow.

Journal Entry 15 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Thank you both. The Hindi-Bindi Club has arrived safely in the cold, wet, windy East Midlands. I will send it west to walmer climes soon.

Journal Entry 16 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 25, 2008
I enjoyed this tale of mixed cultures which did not leave me guessing. Thanks as always. I shall post it on tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Arrived today! I am at the horrid stage of book rings, when I have read them, have a small pile of journals to make and am waiting for addresses to arrive, so this is likely to be moving again in the next week.

Journal Entry 18 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 27, 2008
Not as an enjoyable read as I had expected and hoped. The storylines were interesting and enjoyable, but I was slightly disappointed. Nicely pulled together with recipes and cultural topics.

Now on its way to purplerosebud.

Journal Entry 19 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 27, 2008

Now on its way to purplerosebud.

Journal Entry 20 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, October 31, 2008
Thanks the book has arrived with me. Sorry but I'm getting a bit of a back up of rings and I'm rather slow to get through them at the moment. Will do my best.

Journal Entry 21 by purplerosebud from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, January 23, 2009
This was a nice, light and easy book to read. I found the middle section the most interesting when I was wondering quite how it was going to develop but by the end I had pretty much guessed the outcome. I liked the characters and the mother/daughter relationships and I did enjoy the humour that ran through it.

Sorry I have kept it so long but I will pass it on to Calalilly asap.

Journal Entry 22 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, February 14, 2009
Eventually met up with Purplerosebud today, we kept trying to get together but things kept getting in the way for both of us. I'm in the middle of a couple of books at the moment and then I'll make this my next one.

Journal Entry 23 by calalilly from Waterlooville, Hampshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Sorry I've kept this so long i put it in the wrong pile of books. An enjoyable read. Will post it off to CatrionAnna when I receive her address.

Journal Entry 24 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 05, 2009
Arrived safely today

Journal Entry 25 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2009
I've had a couple of weeks of really not wanting to be in front of a computer at home, so I'm being a bit slow with JEs & posting atm - apologies. This was read rather soon after its arrival, and in two sessions.

Enjoyable enough, but nothing really perceptive or new. One thing that struck me reading this, as with Arranged Marriage earlier this year, was the difference between American Indian writing and British Indian writing. The former seems to contain much more explanation of culture and vocabulary and, to me at least, feels a little out of date. I suspect this is because Britain has had a much longer relationship with India and things Indian (remember Josh introducing Becky to Indian food in Vanity Fair?; and the mass of Indian migration to this country was a generation before that to Amrika. Nonetheless an interesting legacy of colonialism don't you think?

I have had PussInBooks details for some time and will get it wrapped up and in the post today or tomorrow, promise.

Journal Entry 26 by Caterinaanna at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/26/2009 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Parcelled up and in the postbox over the bank holiday weekend, should be picked up from there by the postie this morning.

Journal Entry 27 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Book arrived in Italy today, Im not sure who has sent it on, as Pussinbooks, who was before me on the list, did not write a JE, but thank you, whoever, I have a couple of others to read first, but looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 28 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, July 04, 2009
I enjoyed this book but felt the end was a little rushed and could have been a little more exciting. I love to read about different cultures, and this did have lots to think about. Thank you Lyzzybee, for starting this ring, I am waiting for the next persons address and will forward the book on its journey.

Journal Entry 29 by Pell from Canino, Lazio Italy on Saturday, August 01, 2009
I am so sorry I have only just got to the PO., but have posted off to Germany yesterday. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 30 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, August 05, 2009
It arrived yesterday, thank you!

Journal Entry 31 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
I'm in two minds about this book.
First of all, I had expected something slightly different. More like a witty account on life as a second generation Indian in the USA with all the implied difficulties of combining traditional Indian culture with modern American values.
I got the last bit, the two different worlds coming together.
But apart from my partly unfullfilled expectations (which is totally ok with me) there are quite a few aspects of this book which I did not particularly like or actually buy.

For one thing, the "Uma Auntie" "Patrick Uncle", etc. rang a bit untrue. Yes, they do address the elders like that. And I didn't mind reading it in their conversations. But in the narrative parts, it seemed forced and out of place. As if the author made a conscious attempt to use this phrase when talking about some of the characters.

Then there was the explaining of oh so obvious things in conversations. Such as the differences between Indian and Western men regarding courtship and relationships. I think I wouldn't have minded so much if it had been simply narrated by one of the characters. As it was, they had not-so-natural conversations between them in which basic differences between the cultures were pointed out. Just didn't look good, let alone read well. I shook my head several times at the plain and obviously badly done attempt. I mean, if you are from the same cultural backround, you just don't make some things which are totally obvious and given to you into a conversation topic with others. At least not in the way it was done here.

Also, I have my serious doubts about the friendships between the three first generation Indians. I don't doubt that at first, when they arrived in the USA they became friends. Normally, though, when more people from the same cultural backround (in this case India) come to a foreign country, the people gather together into their smaller cultural backrounds. Such as Punjabi, Maharati, Gujarati, etc. There is enough prejudice and dislike, but especially cultural differences among the many different tribes, cultures and groupes inside most of the Asian (and probably African) countries that they would not try to get together with others when they can keep to people from their own cultural backround. So a friendship like that of Uma, Meenal and Saroj would fade over time. Read Jhumpa Lahiri, for example, to see how Bengalis stay within the US Bengali community and not have *friends* from Gujarat or Punjab or whatever.
OK, but maybe in this fictional story they have, so be it.

The other big problem was the obviousness of the different stories. I could predict almost always and almost instantly what would happen in the story as soon as a character was introduced. And I'm generally not good with predictions in novels. ;-)

On the other hand, I did like the story telling. It would have grabbed my attention were it not for the above mentioned faults which kept me from enjoying the book.

I guess this book is not intended for people who have some basic knowledge of Indian culture. But if you haven't any or very little knowledge of India and its cultures, this book might be rather nice.

Will contact the next person for their address.

Journal Entry 32 by elhamisabel from Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Wednesday, August 19, 2009
As of today the book is on its way to Oi-reader.

Journal Entry 33 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Sunday, August 30, 2009
Arrived safely yesterday. I will begin it as soon as I am finished with my current book (probably early next week). Thanks for allowing me to participate!

Journal Entry 34 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Friday, September 18, 2009
I rather enjoyed this quick light hearted read. Unlike several readers before me I have not (sigh) read the Joy Luck Club (it has been sitting on my shelf untouched for ages) so I cannot draw comparison. Yes, the story line was a bit predictable, however that did not keep me from smiling at the end.

Thank you LyzzyBee for allowing me to participate. I have Jessibud's address and will be sending it her way tomorrow morning.

Journal Entry 35 by oi-reader at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Friday, September 18, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/19/2009 UTC) at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Off to the final reader!

Journal Entry 36 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 28, 2009
It's here! The book arrived today. I am up to my eyeballs in report-writing at the moment so I hope it's ok if it takes me awhile to get through it. I see I am last in the ring, so hopefully that will make it ok.

LyzzyBee, may I offer it to Bookgirrl, as well, if she is interested? I saw her yesterday at our Word On The Street festival. If she does want to read it, maybe I could give it to her first and hopefully, be done with my reports by the time she finishes? Let me know

Journal Entry 37 by jessibud from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, February 20, 2010
Well, I have to say, I did try to get into this book but it just isn't happening for me at this time. I agree that this is very reminiscent of Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club, which I read many many years ago and really did enjoy. For some reason, though, this one's just not working for me now. I am meeting Bookgirrl for dinner tonight so will pass it along to her. Thank for letting me be in this ring

Journal Entry 38 by wingBookgirrlwing from Acton, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 26, 2010
So....from Rohinton Mistry and VS Naipul to South Asian Chick-lit! Or, so it seems, based on cover image and cute-rhymey title.
There is good and bad chick-lit, as we all know. (I was a sucker for Bridget Jones's Diary)
I've read a few pages in - this appears to be one of the good ones.
Thanks, Jessibud!

Journal Entry 39 by wingBookgirrlwing from Acton, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 21, 2010
An enjoyable book. There is a great Indian restaurant just down the street from my office. I released "Sister India" a really great book set in India there a few years ago, and got a breathtaking JE! So, maybe I'l be lucky again.

Journal Entry 40 by wingBookgirrlwing at Chef of India Restaurant in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 21, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/21/2010 UTC) at Chef of India Restaurant in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Dear Finder of this book: Please visit the Bookcrossing website to see where this book has been and make a Journal Entry (Free and Anonymous) and let me know you found the book. Then read, or pass along to someone else to enjoy.
Bookcrossing is free and anonymous. There are over 800,000 Bookcrosser around the world.
"Love a Book? Then set it Free!"