Like Water for Chocolate

by Laura Esquivel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nikkilovesbooks of Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on 10/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, October 02, 2007
I mooched this book. It arrived today from Australia.

Journal Entry 2 by nikkilovesbooks from Secret Harbour, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, November 30, 2008
What a little gem of a novel. It slips between culture & fantasy so well. I loved it. I noticed it on freepages' wishlist & I'm sending it off as a little thanks for RABCKs recieved in the past ;-) Hope you love it, too.

Journal Entry 3 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, December 04, 2008
Happy days....arrived in the post today, another 1001 book and a lovely postcard to!
Thankyou Nikki :-)

Journal Entry 4 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, December 05, 2008
A beautifully weaved tale, I just couldn't put it down. I can see why this one made the 1001 list. Definately one of my favourites.
I wonder if any of the recipes would work !
Cream Fritters sounded wonderful, as did many of the other recipes.

I just cant get over the story, it reads like a romatic fable, just beautiful.
Thanks for sharing Nikkilovesbooks :-)

I think Mr Freepages is going to read it now, he almost pinched it when I was 3 quarters of the way through :-)

Pages 241. Paperback

Journal Entry 5 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 15, 2008
I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

This is an International Bookring
Order of Participants is not set and subject to change without notice. http://www.bookcrossing.com/editjournalentry/journalid_11591819

Bookring rules

The Usual Rules Apply

1. When you receive the book make a journal entry so that we all know that it has arrived safely.
2. After you have read the book, journal what you thought of it.
3. Contact the next person after you in the list for their address. Remembering to check who is after you, this may change as new people are added to try to keep the postage costs down.
4. Send the book on.
5. If you are going to keep the book for more than a month contact FreePages or make a journal entry, so I know the ring is not stalled. If you are contacted for your address and you have thousands of bookrings in your TBR pile, instead of holding up the ring or skipping the book, the order may be able to be changed so that you don't miss out. PM Freepages. Keep postage in mind though.
6. Any questions or problems PM Freepages, anytime.
7. Enjoy the ring :-) and please consider leaving a tiny footprint to show it was in your hands mine is a :-) on page 176 or on the last page whichever comes first :-)

Participants

fairy-whispers (Rockhampton, Qld, Aus)
davemurray101 (Newcastle, NSW, AUS) (can ship International)
ukcanaus(Melbourne, Vic, AUS)
kzel(Melbourne, Vic, AUS)
KLL (Perth, WA, AUS) (can ship International)
briz-cowgirl (Brisbane, Qld, AUS) (can ship International)
Wigglywoods (UK) (can ship International)
Caroley (UK)(can ship International)
kirstykat (UK) (can ship International)asked to be skipped
andthings (UK)(Worksop, Nottinghamshire UK) (can ship International)can't be contacted
nikel27 (Germany) (can ship International)
DeepSwamp (Sweden) (can ship International)
babelfisk (Sweden)
grovalskii (Germany) (can ship International)
Vilda (Sweden)
MKtiny (UK) (can ship International)
kingfan30 (UK)
Cinderess (UK) (can ship International) Ends with Cindress, since she no longer wants to send it international. 23 July 2010.

RuthyToothy (UK, (UK ship only)
24-7-365Reader (UK, Can ship International)
Jellyfish67(UK)(can ship International)
rebeccaljames (USA) Prefers US shipping - contact before sending.
tracy920 (USA) (International shipping)

......

...and back to Freepages (Canberra, AUS)

It will be offered to the Aussie branch of the 1001 library once the ring is finished.

Journal Entry 6 by FreePages at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 22, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (12/22/2008 UTC) at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The bookring has started !

Placed in the post to fairy-whispers today.

Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 7 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 29, 2008
Photobucket

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 8 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 06, 2009
What an absolutely wonderful book! The author has captured the essence of food and the importance it plays in many cultures, while gracing us with a hugely sensual and romantic novel. Like Water for Chocolate is a feast for the eyes, the mind and the palate, using the unique format of a cookbook to demonstrate the daily life and frustrations for women in civil war era Mexico. I would love to try out some of the recipes, if I could figure out what many of the ingredients are! I highly recommend this book.

Journal Entry 9 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 13, 2009
Oh my gosh! I completely forgot about those books! I've bought a book baggie for them and everything. I will put them in the post first thing Monday Morning. I am so sorry! Thank you, freepages, for reminding me!

Journal Entry 10 by seldombites at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/15/2009 UTC) at Valentine, New South Wales Australia

Dancing Flowers Hugs

I’m missing you but I’m still having fun, so I’m off to visit davemurray101. See you soon!

Journal Entry 11 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 23, 2009
Just recieved in the mail today. Thanks to fairywhispers (especially for the super bookmarks) and freepages.

Journal Entry 12 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, February 28, 2009
Normally I don't touch romance novels with a ten foot pole. But this one was really creative and i might even photocopy one of the recipes. PMing ukcanaus to see where it should be sent next

Journal Entry 13 by davemurray101 at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/1/2009 UTC) at Air Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent to ukcanaus in the mail.

Journal Entry 14 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 15, 2009
Book has arrived safely (sorry for the delayed JE).

Thanks for sending it to me, davemurray101, and to freepages, for sharing :)

Journal Entry 15 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, March 23, 2009

This was such an addictive story; I too could not put it down! I loved the recipes (I will have to copy the Cream Fritters recipe) and the winding tale of Tita. It reminded me in some ways of One Hundred Years of Solitude ...

I am now waiting on kzel's details to send the book to her. Thanks so much, FreePages for sharing.

Journal Entry 16 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sent to kzel today.

Journal Entry 17 by kzel from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 29, 2009
Picked up from the post office yesterday. I've got a couple of books lined up before this one, but I'll get to it as quickly as I can.

Journal Entry 18 by kzel from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 06, 2009
I loved this - sweet, lyrical, an extremely smooth read. Exactly what I needed after getting bogged down with various other books.

Will PM KLL for address today.

Journal Entry 19 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, May 30, 2009
I actually received this a week or so ago but (ahem) misplaced it for a while in my house :-O Fortunately I've found it now and I'm planning to read in the next week. Looking forward to it!

Journal Entry 20 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Friday, June 05, 2009
I really loved this book. I loved the recipes, I loved the slightly mystical nature of the story, and I loved it when we finally got an explanation of what 'Like Water for Chocolate' means. Part way though it dawned on me that 'Like Water for Chocolate' actually reminded me a lot of Jane Austran's writing - NOT because it was restrained and proper (because it certainly wasn't!!) but because the book is filled with such delightful domestic detail, with any outside occurances only reported with the effect they have on domestic life. in Pride and Prejudice, England's military manoeuvres are only described by how the presence or absence of a handsome militia may affect the Bennet girls, the revolutionary action that is presumably sweeping Mexico is only ever seen by the effect is has on Tita's household.

Anyway, thanks very mcuh to FReepages for giving me the opportunity of reading this ( and striking one off the 1001 list!) It will be in the post to briz-cowgirl later today...

Journal Entry 21 by briz-cowgirl from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, June 15, 2009
Received from KLL today, thank you! Am just making my way through a library book at present, I hope to be starting this bookring book in another day or two.

Journal Entry 22 by briz-cowgirl from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Monday, July 20, 2009
My apologies for holding onto this book for so long. I had finished it and gotten Wigglywoods address to send it on, and then promptly sat it back on the bookshelf and ... It will be heading away from Oz today I promise!
I loved how the book was set out in monthly installments, and some of the recipes sounded so divine, I could almost taste them myself :) Especially loved the story of her sister Gertrudis.
Thanks FreePages for hosting this bookring, posting to Wigglywoods today.

Released 10 yrs ago (7/21/2009 UTC) at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Wigglywoods in the UK today.

Journal Entry 24 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Saturday, August 08, 2009
Arrived yesterday - many thanks to briz-cowgirl. I have a few rings ahead of this but read and pass on as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 25 by WigglyWoods at NSS, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/22/2009 UTC) at NSS, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Thanks for the opportunity to read this book, I enjoyed it. Posted to Caroley today by 2nd class post.

Journal Entry 26 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, September 24, 2009
Received today thanks.

I've got one to read before this but should get to it shortly.

Journal Entry 27 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, September 26, 2009
I thought this was quite sweet and whimsical and I found myself liking it despite it being a romance, which is a genre I normally steer clear of.

The recipes sounded delicious and I liked the way the book was set out in monthly installments, each with its own recipe.

I'm not quite sure how this found its way onto the 1001 list, as I don't think it was a 'stand-out' book. However, it came in very useful for some easy reading while I was taking a day in bed with a nasty cold, and for that I appreciated it very much :-)

Thanks for the opportunity to read it Freepages (didn't I just read one of yours yesterday?) and for sending it on to me Wigglywoods.

I've PMd Kirstkat and hope to get the book moving again soon.

Journal Entry 28 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, October 24, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/24/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted airmail to Nikel27

Journal Entry 29 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Friday, November 06, 2009
arrived safe at my house, sorry for the delay in letting you know but the book arrived at the time when I had to put dog to sleep and I just found yesterday the still closed envelope.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing with me.
Ask next member for his/her address.

Journal Entry 30 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, December 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/7/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

Thanks again for sharing with me.

Journal Entry 31 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, December 21, 2009
Arrived safe! Looking forward to read!

Journal Entry 32 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Saturday, January 02, 2010
Thanks!
A lovely read!
Watch out what mood you are in when cooking!

As soon I have RuthyToothy adress it will travel.

Journal Entry 33 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, January 15, 2010
I have not got an answer from RuthyToothy.
Now I have asked Jellyfish67 for an adress.
The book is wonderful so it is a pity if it would be delayed!

Journal Entry 34 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, January 22, 2010
No answer! I will let the book rest with babelfisk - she wished to read it.
I hope i get an answer from RuthyToothy or Jellyfish67!

Journal Entry 35 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, January 26, 2010
The book is now with me, thanks to Deepswamp. It looks promising and I'll start reading it tonight! Thanks Deepswamp!

Journal Entry 36 by wingbabelfiskwing from Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Saturday, February 06, 2010
A lovely book! And a strange one!
Edit: the book will be sent to grovalskii in Germany

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 37 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Saturday, February 20, 2010
received the book 2 days ago. Will read as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 38 by grovalskii from Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, February 23, 2010
This was a fun read! Like a fairy tale for adults, though a strage fairy tale. A few times I laughted out loud (e.g. bottom of p226). Very romantic, too. I really enjoyed this book.

The book will now go back to Sweden.

Journal Entry 39 by Vilda from Stockholm, Södermanland Sweden on Monday, March 01, 2010
It has safely arrived at my place. Thank you Freddpages for sharing and to grovalskii for sending it to me.

Journal Entry 40 by Vilda at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/13/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

An adorable quickread. Like Caroley I don't really see how it got on the 1001-list as it is not as rememberable to me as many of the others I've read from the list. Anyhow I am happy to have read it.

Now it travels to UK. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 41 by MKtiny from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Arrived this morning - thanks Vilda :). Got a couple of books to finish before this one, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 42 by MKtiny from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 26, 2010
Have decided to move this book along without reading it, as I have a backlog to clear. :(

Journal Entry 43 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 29, 2010
Book arrived safe and sound, will get to it as soon as I can, I have been inundated with bookrays over the last couple of weeks, most of them are quite small so hopefully I wont be long.

23 May 2010 - What a funny little book, I can quite safely say I have never read one like it before. I don't generally like romance but did enjoy it and it only took me two days to read. I like the fairy tale aspect to it, however I did find the sudden change in paragraph to cookbook style a bit odd. I have the address of the next person so will pop it in the post tomorrow. Also love the bookcrossing label inside of the black cat, looks just like mine!

Journal Entry 44 by kingfan30 at Wolvercote, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 24, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/24/2010 UTC) at Wolvercote, Oxfordshire United Kingdom

On its way to Cinderess

Journal Entry 45 by Cinderess on Wednesday, May 26, 2010

TY for sending this on to me. It sounds good. I hope it's not too chick litty in style of writing for me.

Journal Entry 46 by Cinderess on Sunday, May 30, 2010
I really enjoyed this fairy tale and the recipes made me want to eat Mexican food NOW!
I zipped through the book, the writing just flows. It only took two sittings to read.
Is the film any good?
06.06.10 Still trying to get someone to send me their address. I'm on the third person down from me now.
26.06.10 No luck reaching anyone despite PMs and ISO msgs in forums. Waiting for instructions from the organiser of someone to send it to in the UK.

Released 9 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at A non-bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending to a friend to read, I think she'll enjoy the mix of fairy tale and cooking.

Journal Entry 48 by MarthaK-H at Lewisham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Really enjoyed this book, loved the recipes & the romances that accompanied them. I too would like to try some of the recipes and I'm sure that food tastes better when the cook is happy! It was a really quick read - in fact I read it all in bed this morning as a lazy birthday treat! Thanks for sharing Cinderess :0)

Journal Entry 49 by MarthaK-H at Lewisham, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, August 19, 2010
Posting off to a friend of Cinderess (sorry, she forgot to tell me your BC name!) as she thinks she will enjoy it as we did. I hope you do and there are rumours that you might be attending the Swindon Uncon - if so, see you there!

Journal Entry 50 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Saturday, August 21, 2010
Thanks for the book! A lovely surprise to come home from holiday and find it waiting for me. It looks a very unusual book and I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 51 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 20, 2010
I loved, loved, loved this book! There a few books with a mystical element I enjoy (The Alchemist being one of the others), but I like this very much and I found myself really routing for the romantic heroine. I thought it was very clever how rthe author wove the methods for the recipes into each chapter.

A member of the original bookring has got in touch with Cinderess so I will be sending it too her very soon.

Journal Entry 52 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, October 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (10/22/2010 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

sending to Jellyfish...enjoy!

Journal Entry 53 by jellyfish67 at Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Arrived safely