Espresso Tales: The Latest from 44 Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0349119708 Global Overview for this book
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 10/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, October 01, 2007
From the cover:

"In Espresso Tales, Alexander McCall Smith returns home to Edinburgh and the glorious cast of his own tales of the city, the residents of 44 Scotland Street, with a new set of challenges for each one of them.

Bruce the intolerably vain and perpetually deluded ex-surveyor, is about to embark on a career as a wine merchant, while his long-suffering flatmate Pat Macgregor, set up matchmaking Domenica Macdonald, finds herself invited to a nudist picnic in Moray Place in the pursuit of true love. Prodigious six-year-old Bertie Pollock wants a boy's life if fishing and rugby, not yoga and pink dungarees, and he plots rebellion against his bossy, crusading mother Irene and his psychotherapist Dr Fairbairn.

But when Bertie's longed-for trip to Glasgow with his ineffectual father Stuart ends with Bertie taking money off legendary Glasgow hard man Lard O'Connor at cards, it looks as though Bertie should have been more careful about what he wished for. And all the time it appears that both Irene Pollock and Dr Fairbairn are engaged in a struggle with dark secrets and unconscious urges of their own ... "

I really enjoy AMCS's writing - witty, simple and yet quite thought-provoking. I especially enjoy his descriptions of the ordinary 'things' - he conveys a slightly offbeat and interesting perspective. This particular series has been my least favourite (I just did not like any particular character!), however after reading this earlier this year and the World According to Bertie just two weeks ago, I am enjoying this series much more.

Bought this copy at a booksale a few weeks ago; it will be sent as a Christmas RABCK by the end of this week :)

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Sent overseas to ??? last Tuesday (Oct 2) as a surprise Christmas RABCK.

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Thank you very much ukcanaus, one of my favourite authors! And you have met him - lucky you.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Reserved for Savator as the winner of The Rabck in memory of my father.

Journal Entry 5 by wingHaugtussawing from Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, May 05, 2008
This is my first encounter with the inhabitants of 44 Scotland Street - and it will not be the last! Actually I have to admit that I'm quite reluctant to send the book off, but in the true spirit of bookcrossing ...

What a bunch of characters gathered at a small space! I don't know whether I actually liked any of them - well maybe Big Lou at the café!
Nevertheless they made me laugh:
- Ramsey Dunbarton and his memoirs! And his poor wife had to listen to it!
- Bertie in his strawberry coloured dungarees, yoga lessons, Italian course and attending the Steiner school with classmates called Hiawatha and Tofu! Poor child!
- Bruce - God's gift to women! LOL
- First dates at a nudist picnic. Luckily it rained...

Thanks a lot for sharing this gem ukcanaus. Now it's off to Finland to spread some joy!

I think I'll qoute the blurb:
"As warm as cocoa, as cosy as termal underwear, and just what the doctor ordered for cold winter evenings."

Journal Entry 6 by Savotar from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Friday, May 09, 2008
Thank you, Haugtussa! :)

Journal Entry 7 by Savotar from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Still TBR but just a note that this book is reserved for AnneliS next.

Journal Entry 8 by Savotar from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, February 21, 2009
Compared to 44 Scotland Street this sequel was more coherent and bookish - in a good way. Still I feel there are too many characters and what I didn't like is how women are described in this series. Usually I personally feel McCall Smith's views on women really positive and resepectful, let's take Mma Ramotswe as an example. I know, however, a few bookcrossers who disagree with me in this. :)

Despite my criticism, I must say that this book served as a nice get away from reality. My husband's granny died a week ago, so in the middle of this sadness and the feeling of emptiness it has been good to read what's going on at Scotland Street. :)

These sad real-life events have, however, made my reading slower than I expected, so I thank Annelis for patience. The book will travel to her next week.

Journal Entry 9 by Annelis from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, February 27, 2009
Just a week ago I got Three Cups of Tea and now it is time for coffee in an Italian way. They do drink espresso, don't they? It is so nice to read about Edinburgh as some Finnish Bookcrosser friends are now living there. Thank you for this book and for the very beautiful postcard, Savotar!

Journal Entry 10 by Annelis from Kerava, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
I went to the library for 44 Scotland Street just to start from the beginning. Somehow I felt that this series must be read in the right order. Usually I am not so particular about that.
I like these stories very much and I am going to read the rest of the series if there is such a thing.

It is about the time for the book to continue its travels. It has come such a long way already!

This is my #36 (100) in "REDUCE MOUNT TBR 2010" Challenge arranged by DoveiLibri.

This book is # 49 in my Keep Them Moving 2010 Challenge arranged by Guinaveve

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 14, 2010
Received with thanks :)

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 04, 2011
Loved 44 Scotland Street - and loved this too! Can't wait to read the other books in the series.

Unline Haugtussa, I rather like most of the characters :D Or maybe "like" is not the right word, but interesting and entertaining they are nevertheless. I think Bertie and Irene (and now Stuart, too) are still my faves, probably because I'm a mother of a little boy as well, and a bit on the ambitious side too :D It's a good thing I'm also lazy and try to avoid getting stressed at home (enough of that at work) - it means I've already given up on most of the strict child-rearing principles I'd come up with before Anton was born ;)

My only criticism echoes that of Savotar's. I also wondered at one point why McCall had chosen the portray most of the female characters in a negative light. But now that I think about it, did he really? Apart from Irene, that is.

Journal Entry 13 by wingAnnimanniwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, March 04, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/4/2011 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

This book will now travel on to the redraw winner of the You've Got Mail sweepstakes: soozreader. I hope you'll enjoy this wishlist book, Suvi!

Journal Entry 14 by wingSoozreaderwing at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Thursday, March 24, 2011
Thank you very much for this wishlist book! I'll surely enjoy this a lot:)

Journal Entry 15 by sannuli at Joensuu, Pohjois-Karjala / Norra Karelen Finland on Monday, September 08, 2014
I borrowed this from Soozreader but forgot to journal it, sorry.

I liked the first book of the series better as I found the bits of memoirs rather boring. Even though they're funny in a way of making reader aware of the character of Ramsey. Must say, Bertie continues to be my favorite character.

Book returns to Soozreader :)