Interpreter of Maladies

by Jhumpa Lahiri | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by meexia of City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 9/30/2007
Journal Entry 1 by meexia from City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2007
Found this at Evernew 2ndhand bookshop at Bras Basah Singapore.

Journal Entry 2 by meexia from City of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 06, 2008
This is the first full book of short stories collection that I’ve read. I’m not so sure yet if I like short stories. They’re okay, but most of the time, they’re just too short. When the stories started, I kept thinking how they would end. Because they end in about 20-30 pages, which is very quick. I guess short stories are good to magnify particular problems or issues.

In this book, Lahiri wrote about lives of Indians in exile: immigrants, American born with Indian heritage, refugees. There are 9 stories in total.

My full review here

Reserved this for the World VBB

Journal Entry 3 by meexia at by mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Singapore on Monday, August 11, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/6/2008 UTC) at by mail, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Singapore

Sent this to Erishkigal in USA as part of the World VBB. Enjoy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Yay~~this has arrived in Utah! I'm looking forward to reading these stories~~thanks so much for making them part of k's vbb~

Journal Entry 5 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, September 19, 2008
An exquisite collection of stories! Most are slices of the lives of Indian(or Pakistani or Bengali) immigrants to the US, but a couple actually do take place in India. On top of the writing being excellent, I enjoy also the intimate look into a culture different from my own.

Since I liked all the stories so much, it hard to pull out a favorite or two....maybe When Mr. Pirzada Came to Dine and Mrs Sens....oh, and maybe A Real Durwan (which was quite sad....but they are all excellent~~, Lahiri is an eloquent writer, with an eye for detail and a ear for the intimate.

I'm reserving this for round two of the Around the World VBB, tho I expect I'll offer it to my brother-in-law in the meantime.
Thanks for putting this in the box, meexia!

Journal Entry 6 by wingerishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, July 21, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/20/2011 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

well, that particular box didn't happen and so here the book sat....waiting....I suppose the best books are the ones that should be wild released, but sometimes, when I really love a book, it just too hard to let it go that way, knowing I'l probably never hear from it and fearing it was thrown in the trash somewhere.....so this sat on the shelf....

till I joined S & A's global village vbb~~ and now it's on the way to Canada~~ENJOY!

Journal Entry 7 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 02, 2011
Arrived safely with a lovely postcard. Thank you!

Journal Entry 8 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, August 09, 2016
After reading this collection, I tried to choose a favourite, but I couldn't. I enjoyed each one of them--sad or happy, they were all insightful. Thanks so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, March 16, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (3/16/2017 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sent to jlautner, who chose it from bookstogive's General Literature VBB. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 10 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Friday, March 24, 2017
Arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, April 24, 2017
It has been a few weeks since I read this, a month even. So I don't remember as many details as I hoped.

It's a collection of stories about life; about contemporary life; about life as an Indian exile; about lives of others. They are clean, beautifully-written stories that explore small things: finding the right kind of fish - and larger things: affairs. Each story brings a taste of India with it, a sense of what it takes to adjust to life elsewhere.

Journal Entry 12 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, July 19, 2017
Added to General Lit VBB.

Journal Entry 13 by wingjlautnerwing at Henderson, Nevada USA on Friday, May 18, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (5/17/2018 UTC) at Henderson, Nevada USA

Sent to member of General Literature book box.

Journal Entry 14 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Sunday, May 27, 2018
I received this book in the mail from jlautner of Henderson, Nevada. I requested this book from the General Literature vbb.

Thank you for donating this book to the vbb, jlautner. I look forward to reading it.