The queen and I

by Sue Townsend | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by klaradyn of Praha, Praha Czech Republic on 9/29/2007
Journal Entry 1 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Saturday, September 29, 2007
From amazon.co.uk: "The monarchy has been dismantled. When a Republican party wins the general election, their first act in power is to strip the royal family of their assets and titles and send them to live on a housing estate in the Midlands. Exchanging Buckingham Palace for a two-bedroomed semi in Hell Close (as the locals dub it), caviar for boiled eggs, servants for a social worker named Trish, the Queen and her family learn what it means to be poor among the great unwashed. But is their breeding sufficient to allow them to rise above their changed circumstance or deep down are they really just like everyone else?"

I found this very amusing, but not as good as Townsend's Adrian Mole books.

Released 13 yrs ago (11/5/2007 UTC) at The Coffee Bean, Main Road, Rondebosch in Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Will be released at the BC launch at the Coffee Bean.

Journal Entry 3 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Monday, November 05, 2007
Yay, I love Sue Townsend! Looking forward to reading this :)

Journal Entry 4 by snufkin81 at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, February 19, 2017
Hmm, somewhat disappointing. Not as funny as I expected, and being a monarchist (despite not being British and my opinion not mattering to anyone at all), I found the depictions of the royal family to be rather distasteful. Also very dated by now.