The Devil and Miss Prym: A Novel of Temptation (P.S.)

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by angela861 of Chicago, Illinois USA on 9/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Thursday, September 27, 2007
On 1001 Books list. Not as good as The Alchiemist but pretty good. Love a few passages... page 34 had a few.

Journal Entry 2 by angela861 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, September 30, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (9/29/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

Journal Entry 3 by ChiBoiler from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, September 30, 2007
part of the 1001 books to read before you die. Short book - was a quick read. Interesting story about battle between good and evil - is everyone good, evil or a mix of both. I thought it was pretty thought provoking filled with a lot of philisopical moments. However, I am not sure of my thoughts on the ending.

Not the worst 1001 book I have read.

Journal Entry 4 by ChiBoiler at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Released 12 yrs ago (11/20/2007 UTC) at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Meet-up, Rabck in Chicago, Illinois USA

bringing to Indiana this weekend to another 1001 reader.

Journal Entry 5 by Gayle62 from Crown Point, Indiana USA on Monday, December 24, 2007
Not a bad story but it took too long to tell even though it was only 205 pages.

Journal Entry 6 by Gayle62 at Controlled Release to Fellow Bookcrosser in Crown Point, Indiana USA on Monday, December 24, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (12/24/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release to Fellow Bookcrosser in Crown Point, Indiana USA

Journal Entry 7 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, January 05, 2008
Book home. Will offer as Bookray soon!

Journal Entry 8 by angela861 from Chicago, Illinois USA on Sunday, January 06, 2008
Book Description

A stranger arrives at the remote village of Viscos, carrying with him a backpack containing a notebook and eleven gold bars. He comes searching for the answer to a question that torments him: Are human beings, in essence, good or evil? In welcoming the mysterious foreigner, the whole village becomes an accomplice to his sophisticated plot, which will forever mark their lives.

A novel of temptation by the internationally bestselling author Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym is a thought-provoking parable of a community devoured by greed, cowardice, and fear—as it struggles with the choice between good and evil.

Participants (Subject to Change):
1. darkpunkangel - CAN (Int'l)
2. tqd - AUS (AUS/Int'l)
3. fushmush - UK (EU)
4. katrinat - UK (UK)
5. CaterinaAnna - UK (Int'l)
6. scrutiny - China (Int'l)
7. DK1010 - US (US)

I'm sending to the first participant... Happy Reading!!

Journal Entry 10 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Arrived today...thanks. Should be able to start this today.

Journal Entry 11 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Just finished it not to long ago, I actually enjoyed it, even though I thought it was sloww at teh beginning, but what a battle between good and evil...just wow.

I already have the address of the next receiver so I will mail this sometime today, thanks for the letting me join angela861.

Journal Entry 12 by darkpunkangel at to the next participant in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/13/2008 UTC) at to the next participant in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sent today to the next participant.

Journal Entry 13 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Thanks, darkpunkangel, this turned up in the mail yesterday! I've got another couple ahead of it, but it shouldn't take long to get to (or to read, I hope!).

Journal Entry 14 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 08, 2008
Oh dear, I finished this a couple of days ago and had some interesting points I wanted to make, but have been so flat out with work and the kids that I can't remember them any more! I definitely need to jot down notes when I have clever thoughts, nothing seems to stick in my mind any more.

I enjoyed this one more than The Alchemist which peeved me with the repetitious dull message (follow your dream ad nauseam, I get it already). This one at least had a bit more of an interesting idea about good and evil, but somewhere along the way I suddenly realised that this was not a book that was going to let evil triumph. There was no way that Satan was going to win, and then there went all the tension (and the interest) for me.

I also found the assumption that there is a Christian god rubbed me up the wrong way, as a practicing atheist. (Not that we have anything to practice, but it's a position I've thought about and am happy with it. But you know what I mean, I hope!) If one is going to have Christian themes, give me Crowley and Azraphael from Good Omens any day. I love Crowley's mass tarnishing of people's souls through such infernal devices as the M-25 motorway around London, Ansaphones, and computer warranties. Compared to such inventiveness, a devil who wants to turn a small rural village to evil just seemed rather amusingly archaic.

Having said that, I did love the priest's justification of his support of the plan of murder. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and crazy men of the cloth, and in this case, both.

And it turns out that fushmush is in Sydney at the moment, so we should be catching up at meetup (bookdrinks!) this Tuesday, and I'll hand over this book directly then. Yay for saving on overseas postage costs! :)

Thanks very much for the chance to read this one, angela861!

UPDATE 28 March 2008: Missed catching up with fushmush while she was in Sydney (dagnabbit), but it got popped in the post to her today! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 15 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Wow. The bookrays are really piling up. I have 2.5 bookrays ahead of this one.

Thanks TQD for sending this all the way to pommyland. Sorry we weren't able to catch up while I was home :( I'm a bad fushie.

Journal Entry 16 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 15, 2008
I've decided that I'm not really a Coelho fan. Like TQD I found the Alchemist overly simplistic and very dull. This was a little better but still not a very challenging read. I wasn't sure that the ending sat with the whole "good triumphing over evil" message either.

At least it was short and I can check off another 1001 book off the list...tick!

Will PM the next in line. Thanks for sharing Angela861.

Journal Entry 17 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Friday, April 18, 2008
This has been on my mental tbr pile for years. I have a few books to read first but I will read it as soon as possible. Thanks fushmush for sending it on x

Journal Entry 18 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, April 27, 2008
I really enjoyed this book, and it didn't take very long to read at all. I'll be looking out for moreof his books in the future.
I have the address for the next person and will post as soon as I can get to a post office.

Released 11 yrs ago (5/3/2008 UTC) at Grahamstown in A bookcrosser , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

hope the next person enjoys as much as i did

Journal Entry 20 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Arrived yesterday, and started already. Taking to the park to finish this afternoon .. if I ever get release notes made on the other books I'm taking in plastic bags.

Journal Entry 21 by Caterinaanna from Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008
What is it about my JEs? This is the second book in a month that I'm sure I've reviewed only to find that the review has vanished. That's my excuse for this not being as detailed as it might otherwise be, and in particular not having the best bits listed or quoted.

The story has a few surprising twists but is overall a fairly straightforward morality tale. Nonetheless, it does contain some evocative writing and interesting takes on perennial ideas. More an I-might-read-again-someday than I'll-add-it-to-wishlist-two book.

Thank you angela861 and everyone else who has got it thus far. I shall PM scrutiny now.

Journal Entry 22 by Caterinaanna at Shatin, Sha Tin Hong Kong on Monday, May 26, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/26/2008 UTC) at Shatin, Sha Tin Hong Kong

Going in the post today - not that they'll collect it until tomorrow.

Journal Entry 23 by scrutiny on Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Arrived! It's been with me about a week but I was sick so didn't journal. Will get a move on!

Journal Entry 24 by scrutiny on Friday, September 05, 2008
I didn't get around to reading this book. I've sent it on!

Journal Entry 25 by DK1010 from Warwick, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
This book came in the mail today. Thank you angela861 for starting the ray & thank you to scrutiny for mailing all the way from Hong Kong. I love the stamps with birds on them. I'll read the book as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 26 by DK1010 from Warwick, Rhode Island USA on Wednesday, November 26, 2008
I liked this book. One measure of how much I like a book is how long I read at each sitting. I read about a third of the book on my first sitting. This is a thought provoking book; would you, would your friends; just how far will you go for personal gain? I also didn't fully agree with the ending, but that just gives more to think about. This is the first Coehlo I've read, I think I'll read him again.

Thank you to all who shared and moved it along. I'm sharing this book with some of my friends, then I'll ray it forward.

Journal Entry 27 by DK1010 from Warwick, Rhode Island USA on Monday, January 19, 2009
BookRay Participants (Subject to Change):

DitteL (Denmark/Europe preferred) *
solskinn (Austria/Europe preferred) *
yayajanuary (Indonesia/?) *
hakkalina (Hungary/Last) *

Journal Entry 28 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Saturday, January 24, 2009
My postman has just delivered this book to me.

Thanks for sending it to me DK1010. I'm really surprised how quickly it has travelled from the US to Denmark.

Journal Entry 29 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Monday, January 26, 2009
Been down with a flu for the last couple of days and having nothing better to do I finished this book yesterday.

In my opinion it wasn't as good as The Alchiemist and The Fifth Mountain, but it was better than Veronika Decides to Die.

The book reminded me of C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, where the old devil is teaching the young devil how to turn humans evil.

I've already got the address for the next reader and hopefully I'll be able to post it within the next couple of days.

Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 30 by DitteL at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/27/2009 UTC) at Frederiksberg, København Amt Denmark

On its way to Austria.

Journal Entry 31 by wolkenklang on Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wow, this arrived really quickly! Thanks for sending it, Ditte, and thanks for including me in the ray, DK1010.
I'm looking forward to reading, especially since Ditte's review where she stated she found the Alchemist good, but not the Veronica book ... Because Veronica Decides to Die is, along with By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, my absolutely favorite of Coelho's works. The Alchemist seems to me more like a book for Coelho beginners.

Journal Entry 32 by wolkenklang on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
I don't know what to think about this... It's a creepy story, but with a good overall meaning. I didn't like it as much as the other two books of the And On The Seventh Day trilogy though.

Journal Entry 33 by wolkenklang at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/25/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Off to Indonesia, enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by yayajanuary from Jakarta, Jakarta Indonesia on Thursday, March 12, 2009
thankssss solskinns :)
-----------------------

so sorry I don't mean to delay sending the book..
but my mom was hospitalized and I needed to accompany her in the hospital..
I will (I promise) to send it as soon as I have a chance to go home...

Journal Entry 35 by yayajanuary at on Saturday, April 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/12/2009 UTC) at

will be on Monday :)

Journal Entry 36 by hakkalina from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Saturday, May 02, 2009
Today I got the book and the goodies too. They arrived safely. Thanks so much! I was so suprised as I saw the "Big" Packet, which was hunchbacked. So I knew there was something :) beside the book. But, yaya, It took me at least 10 minutes to open it. It was a real challange!! :-D Oh, My little niece liked so much the hippo soap, so I gave it to her. :)

I liked this book. It was so fustrating to see how people could be influenced. How difficult to think clearly if one of our feelings is so intensive.

I have found this book is on more people's wishlist. Besides I also made a Forum Post. So, the ray continues.

**** I offer this book for a BookRay ****
The rules are the followings:
- Make JE at getting,
- Enjoy your reading time!! :D
- Read it within 4-6 weeks,
- Share your thoughts about the book with us,
Specialities:
- *In advance* try to ask the next reader's addy to be able to mail the book after finishing,
- In case of any delay, please inform us under your JE,
- Make a (Controlled) Release JE after/before posting the book on.

** Thanks to participate in the ray! **
I am very grateful to those who take on international shipping! :-)
---<<--{@

Participants so far:
Read and passed on:
1. Valpete - USA, 2. istop4books - USA, 3. Rockyhorror1978 - CAN
skipped due to no response to PMs - Amidabutsu - CAN, Int'l if it needs,

Reading: 4. TerraceWest - CAN <-- even if it hasn't been journalled, the books is with her. The cause of the delay is health issues.

Update: 2010.01.30.
According to TerraceWest's PM, she is ill , she needs all her power to heal.
I understand and accept that from the standpoint of her illness the book is not as much as important to her than me.
I wish her get better and heal.
---<<--{@

Sorry to say the book is "lost"
From the point of view of the book, it has got stuck with her.
To continue this ray we need a replacement copy.

5. Ciloma - USA, ?
6. Easterngirl71 - USA, within USA, prefer ray end
7. Ravencat - USA, can ship int'l
8. kingfan30 - GBR, prefer EU

Journal Entry 37 by hakkalina at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Monday, June 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/23/2009 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

Finally it is on its way to USA!
Happy reading all of you!

Journal Entry 38 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Monday, June 29, 2009
Thanks, Hakkalina...it made it here safe and sound in one week! Pretty good, I think! I do have 2 before this one so it'll be a little while before I send it on. I promise to get to it as fast as I can. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 39 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009
I've never read Coelho before and quite enjoyed this little book. Once the story gets going, it is quite compelling and provides much food for thought.

I had just finished reading "The Shack" and was surprised to see one of the same themes running throught both books - redemption.

I'd like to read more of this author - his writing is quite profound!

Journal Entry 40 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Sunday, July 19, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/21/2009 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

It's off to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 41 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Thursday, July 23, 2009
Arrived today! I'll get to it as soon as I finish my current book!

Journal Entry 42 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Saturday, August 01, 2009
This was a short read that packed a lot of food for thought. Reading a conversation with the author at the back of the book was very helpful in understanding what he was really trying to say in this sort of longish fable. Good versus Evil is a universal theme and one that doesn't always have a clear, clean outcome and I think that was well portrayed here. I loved the role of the priest as well. Thanks so much Hakkalina for organizing this ring.

Journal Entry 43 by istop4books from Castle Rock, Colorado USA on Monday, August 03, 2009
Sent out via media mail to RockyHorror today!

Journal Entry 44 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Arrived today. I have two other bookrings that arrived before this one. Sod's law that all these bookrings arrive at once!

Journal Entry 45 by rockyhorror1978 from St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Thursday, September 10, 2009
This is one of the books that deserves to be on the 1001 Book List. Enjoyable as both a novel and a philosophical thought exercise. While this book is as much about the themes of good and evil, it is about the perception of these concepts. Through the actions and philosophies of the characters and folklore of the town, good and evil are examined, demonstrated to be hazy at best, and obviously influencing the actions of the characters throughout the book. I enjoyed reading this book and thinking about the content after. I agree that it worth taking the time to read the excerpt at the back of the book to gain insight into the author's thoughts regarding the book.

Journal Entry 46 by rockyhorror1978 at Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/15/2009 UTC) at Hamilton, Ontario Canada

Being given to TerraceWest, the next person in the bookray. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!

Journal Entry 47 by lostbookisland on Sunday, January 17, 2010
This book has washed ashore at the Lost Book Island after not being heard from for many months. This new arrival will be shown to a room and be allowed a bit of rest before being introduced to the many fun things to do here at the island.

All around there are books sipping cool drinks under shady palms while other books participate in a wide variety of beach sports. There is plenty of sand, surf and sun here for all of the lost and wayward books to enjoy.

It is hoped that very soon a new journal entry will come to rescue this book from the island and send it back out into the BookCrossing world so that it may continue on its journey. It is hoped that the new journal entry will tell all the interested parties where this book has been this long time and where it will be traveling to next.