Titanic, the Long Night

by Diane Hoh | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 059033123x Global Overview for this book
Registered by erinacea of Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on 9/27/2007
Journal Entry 1 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, September 27, 2007
I got this book ages ago; it was definitely among the very first novels I got to read in English, so I was maybe about twelve or thirteen when my mother brought it back from a business trip in the UK.

The blurb:
Who will survive the long night?
Everyone thought the R.M.S. Titanic could never sink. But when it struck a huge iceberg just before midnight on April 14, 1912, the helpless passengers found out they were wrong.
Beautiful Elizabeth Farr and dashing Max Whittaker in first class ... Brian and Patrick Kelleher and pretty red-haired Kathleen Mahoney
[Hanrahan, actually] in steerage .... Everyone is faced with biting cold and churning black waters, tilting lifeboats and pathetic screams. Some will live, but more than fifteen hundred will die on that disastrous night. Will Elizabeth, Max and Kathleen be among the survivors?

It's full of romantic cr*p but I loved the characters. :)

When I had Quantaqa's bookbox here last year I didn't want to let it go. (Besides, I had enough trouble getting the books I had chosen into the box.) By now, I would like to share it with others but it's too precious to me for releasing outright, so the "Maritime Bookbox" is the perfect alternative. I'll try to reread it tonight before passing it along tomorrow.

Journal Entry 2 by erinacea from Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Friday, September 28, 2007
As "promised" I reread it last night. I found the beginning a bit slow but once everyone was on the ship things started rolling. My opinions on the characters hasn't changed one iota: I still prefer the third class passengers to the first class ones, to me they are a bit more intriguing and feel more "real", but also still like Max and Elizabeth simply for being nice. Katie remains my favourite character; she's so vivacious yet down to earth I just have to like her.

As before (or maybe more so with more literary background) I found the author's decision interesting (not always positively so, though) to concentrate on the two young girls and having them keep noticing and reflecting on the other one, even though they never so much as exchange words. The comparison between those two does not always work well as their lives are so different. Still, it was quite funny how each saw the other as very close to herself, yet less troubled - or alternatively sharing the same troubles. Needless to say they were often quite wrong.

And of course, the drama of the last few hours was absolutely heart-wrenching! :(

Released 12 yrs ago (2/15/2009 UTC) at A&O Hostel/Hotel Berlin Mitte, Köpenicker Str 127-129 in Mitte, Berlin Germany

I got this book with others from the CCC to give away to the Berlin OBCZs. It is still here, however, and so it will travel on today so as not to collect too much dust in my shelf…

Where exactly it will be set free, we will decide spontaneously. It’s probably going to be somewhere in or near the Sony Centre.

Dear Finder,
Congrats on finding a bookcrossing book!! It is a very special book because it travels from person to person to find new friends. It would be great if you left a little journal entry so I can see where this book has travelled…
Other than that: have fun reading and welcome to Bookcrossing!!!