Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

by Elizabeth Gilbert | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingFiregirlwing of Annandale, Virginia USA on 9/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
From back cover: In her early thirties, Elizabeth Gilbert had everything a modern American woman was supposed to want -- husband, country home, successful career -- but instead of feeling happy and fulfilled, she felt consumed by panic and confusion. This wise and rapturous book is the story of how she left behind all these outward marks of success, and of what she found in their place. Following a divorce and a crushing depression, Gilbert set out to examine three different aspects of her nature, set against the backdrop of three different cultures: pleasure in Italy, devotion in India, and on the Indonesian island of Bali, a balance between worldly enjoyment and divine transcendence.

Journal Entry 2 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 02, 2007
My stepmother gave me this book to read. I took it with a bit of hesitation, but I gave her the benefit of the doubt and dove in. I'm about 2/3 of the way through (just about to leave Indian for Indonesia) and it's been amazing. I've found myself (very uncharacteristically) reaching for a pencil to underline a particularly inspiring phrase, paragraph, whatever. (The "spiritual" part of the book I feared most -- too much "God", I worried -- but Gilbert makes sure she clarifies in the beginning that she uses "God" for lack of a better term. I have replaced it, in my own mind, as searching for "peace", and am taking so much away from it.) I've thought so much about my upcoming hike (I've decided to hike the entire Appalachain Trail (2174 mi or 3498 km) in 2010) and just KNOW that I need to have this with me.

That said, I want to share this book with some of the strongest, most wonderful and inspiring women I've met here on BC. Taken from the PM I sent out: "Because you are all amazing women who I adore and who inspire me. I wish I could take you all with me. However, since my backpack will have to be as small and light as possible, you won't all fit. I'd like to send this book to each of you, in turn, if you're interested. If any part of it, a chapter, a sentence, heck, even just a WORD, strikes a chord in you, mark it somehow. I used pencil. Someone else could use red pen, someone else black, another person a green highlighter, whatever. Make a note in the front of the book (a color-key if you will) so I know who noted what. Don't hesitate to mark something someone else has -- that's part of what I'm looking forward to, the things that inspire all of us. This way, you can all come with me as I endeavour to drag my butt all the way from Georgia to Maine!"

Strong, amazing, inspiring women bookring
Book-spy
Trekwoman
Antof9
PokPok
Bookish-Angel
Classicfox
Tempestsans

Home safely!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, December 10, 2007
And off it goes, to the first of the amazing BC women I know. Dear book, when next we meet it will be to travel the US together on foot! Happy journeys until then!

Journal Entry 4 by book-spy from Arlington, Alabama USA on Saturday, January 05, 2008
Dear Firegirl, the day I got this book in the mail we left for a short trip so I took this book with me, and I'm almost finished it. Sorry for the late JE; however, I should have my inspiration for you (along with the other STRONG WOMEN) "to drag [your] butt all the way from Georgia to Maine" . . . Thanks for including me!

book-spy

I took out these comments so that I don't give too much away for the any of the other readers.

book-spy

Update: I've just finished this book and I understand all your comments, the hesitation, and then the inspiration. I initialed all my comments and underlines with a "K" because I just grab what was close to me.

Gilbert writing enlightened me plus I understood her pain, joy, and love. One comment I didn't write in the book is: No one gets married thinking about divorce, and no falls in love to seek sorrow.

I will be with you on your journey, and together, my dear friend, you have eight legs on the ground. Another remarkable thing about this book is that I didn't want far from me while I was reading it. I felt that this book needed to be near me, next to me, and opened. There is one thing I've learned while in school which also brings to mind while reading this book, said in lecture by Dr. James Brown in my Theatre Appreciate class while studying the Greeks: The outside world has changed drastically but the inside of humans has changed very little. I believe this is the key to this book because inside, in our hearts, we are all striving for balance.

Again, thanks for sharing your journey....

Journal Entry 5 by book-spy at on Thursday, January 24, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (1/25/2008 UTC) at

Firegirl, Thanks for sharing this remarkable book with me.

It's now on the way to the strong bookcrossing woman Trekwoman, who strongly desires to read this book.

Finally, I will be buying a copy of this book for my PC.

Sisters in books...as we eat, pray, and love each other one another.

**********

Now that more reviews have been posted, I do agree with many of the comments. I guess I took a anthropologisht view of this book to learn about the three "I's." I can also say that I was totally disappointed that EG did not stay true to herself in "LOVE" section.

Still a high star book for me, but I can overlook her religious points of vies--everyone has a different way of "believing." And I did envy her because of this wonderful opportunity to get paid to write this book, travel, and eat. Also, I'd told my sis to stay home--but I don't have one so that's an easy choice for me.

-K.

I mail'd this book out today with and paid the extra for delivery confirmation, and it went 1st class because it's a 1st class book. Also, I am excited about this book making the complete ring because I believe there will be some great discussions, and discoveries, from all the readers

-K.

Journal Entry 6 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Monday, January 28, 2008
Arrived in the afternoon post. I set to with a lime green highlighter and have found some particularly relevant passages that have struck me. It's curious to see what everyone else has thought about it thus far, too (about a third of the way through).

One bone to pick- I don't know if the author's just a really self-indulgent person but I found it pretty odd that various friends of hers would join her throughout the year of travel. "My friend came from Seattle.. and my sister came from wherever, for two days".. Two days? Sorry, but if you're going on a big life-crisis-faith journey.. oh, maybe it's just me. Postcard from home, okay. Letters and calls, sure. Show up in person for the weekend? Eh?

Then again, I really like solitude and would find weekend visits intrusive. Let me think and process, let me experience without outside influence. Let me change, alone, and discover myself.

But first- more PIZZA!

Journal Entry 7 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere in the state --, California USA on Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Okay, have finished this one up. It still wasn't really my sort of book, but I did learn some interesting tidbits about myself along the way.

:: Squinty eyes ::

Sneaky book. Getting me to be all introspective like that, hmpf. I've included an index card with one of my absolute, all time favorite poems by Nancy Wood. I'm not big on traditional prayers-as-prayers, so this strikes all sorts of chords for me. I hope y'all might like it, too.

Book will be off to Antof9 over the weekend.

[R]

By post, to Antof9.

Journal Entry 9 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, February 11, 2008
Got back from Germany last night and picked up all our mail this afternoon. This was in it -- YAY!

You know, I've been looking at this title for ages, and was so excited to get your PM on it, Firegirl. I've heard nothing but good things about it, and everyone I know who has read it has great things to say about it. With that in mind, I actually bought a copy for myself a couple weeks ago. I figured it might be one I'd like to have on hand. As additional positive reinforcement, the very nice girl I sat by on my last business trip to New York was reading it too, and she couldn't say enough nice things about it.

I'm excited it's here, excited to participate in this ring, love the title of the ring, and am thrilled to be asked to contribute to your trip.

Oh, and there's a pizza theme going -- that's what we had for dinner tonight, while watching the Superbowl on TiVo (it aired after midnight on the first night we were in Germany. We opted for sleep over the game :)

Journal Entry 10 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, March 13, 2008
Just a quick note to say that I finally started the book, and I HEART IT! The problem, of course, is that I took it on a trip, violating #3 in my Travel Plan for Books, but it was in my carry-on the whole time and never left my side. Actually, that's not the problem. The problem was two-pronged:
1. For some reason I thought I was landing around 9:00 at night, which would have made my second flight (Dallas to Denver) about 3 or so hours, giving me plenty of time to settle in and read a huge chunk of the book.
2. I made the mistake of putting my carry-on bag overhead and my little tiny purse at my feet (I have long legs and NEED that leg room!), and about two words into the first chapter, I wanted my purple highlighter to mark my passages. The purple highlighter, of course, was in the overhead compartment. So then I kept reading, marking with those "sign here" sticky notes, which I eventually ran out of, and was forced to stop. If I can't make my notes while I'm reading, I'll forget what I wanted to say!

Oh, and we landed in Denver before 7:30, so clearly I was not intended to read this book on this plane.

Anyway, I look forward to a big chunk of time this weekend (I hope) to sit and savor this book. I think I'll also PM PokPok for her address so I have it when I finish. Journal entry for this picture will be from where I was -- Arab, Alabama. Pronounced "Ay-rab". I'm not kidding. And yes, the high school mascot is really "The Knights". Really :)

Journal Entry 11 by Antof9 from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, May 29, 2008
Reading this book felt like sitting down and having a cup of tea with all the previous readers. One of my favorite things!

I finally finished this lovely book a couple weeks ago, and have been both crazy busy, and "processing" it ever since. The hard thing here is how to write a journal entry when the vast majority of what I wanted to say I already wrote in the book. On the other hand, I don't want to not have a journal entry on this, a book I bought a copy of for my permanent collection, and 2 more copies for my sister and friend.

So I'll see what I can say here...
  • On page 10, I found a soulmate. Liz says, "I kept waiting to want to have a baby, but it didn't happen." My sister!
  • I cannot say how much I love the way she wrote chapter 3. As I noted on the top of page 13, "I read it about 3 times ... because of course, the #3 is the number of supreme balance :)"
  • I found this part deep, and challenging: Strictly speaking, then, I cannot call myself a Christian. Most of the Christians I know accept my feelings on this with grace and open-mindedness. Then again, most of the Christians I know don't speak very strictly. That's the kind of Christian I want to be.
  • I loved when she talked about her sister. The "That family needs casseroles" part made me grin and cry. My note at the bottom of page 91 says, "I love her sister, and I love mine, too. These pages brought me to tears. And even though I talked to my sister 3 times today, I called her again."
  • I'm sure Liz and I would be friends, when she describes a woman "exuding an unbelievably glamorous air of: 'You will look at me, but I will refuse to look at you.'"
  • And who knew this? "Historians say that rhetoric was invented in Syracuse, and also (and this is just a minor thing) plot.
  • And then there's the part where she totally nails what happens to me when I'm praying: I can't seem to get my mind to hold still.
  • I love, love, love this: I'm irritated by spiritual prudence and I feel bored and parched by empirical debate. I don't want to hear it anymore. I just want God.
  • Chapter 58 will change the way I pray.
  • I added the reference Philippians 4:8 at the bottom of page 178, because I felt like it was so appropriate. Her vow I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore really spoke to me. And of course, that's what Phil 4:8 says, too.

There is so much more I could say, but I am far overdue on getting this into the mail.

Firegirl -- thank you so much for sharing this with me. I really, really enjoyed it. And now I have a copy for my permanent collection, too :)

On to PokPok tomorrow!

Journal Entry 12 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Thursday, June 05, 2008
Book arrived safely in yesterday's mail. I feel very honored to be a part of this ring, and firegirl's trek through the Appalachians. I suspect I won't start this book for about a month; I'm currently reading a 900 page book, and then I'm going to want something very light (a la Perry Mason or Agatha Christie) for a little while when I'm done.

Journal Entry 13 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Saturday, June 21, 2008
I'm starting this one today. I haven't had ( and won't have) much reading time over the next few weeks, and also I don't want to rush the read. I will pass it on in approximately a month.

PokPok

Journal Entry 14 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Friday, June 27, 2008
I'm going to be honest, as I know firegirl would want me to be, and say that I'm not loving this book (or even liking it very much). The "eat" section was okay, I am nearly done with "pray" and am finding it fairly tedious. Most of my dislike is probably b/c I really don't like our protagonist; I find her to be astonishingly whiny and self-indulgent. I also can't relate to any of the "pray" section, or the particular trials Liz has gone through. I think that colors my perceptions.

However, what I do absolutely LOVE is what this book is for... I am having a blast looking through it, highlighting, reading others' comments, and thinking about you and your journey. I have no doubt it will be a time of spiritual enlightenment for you. I am reading through the book with that in mind-- what kind of encouragement can I give you; imagining you reading it, sitting on a rock by a stream in appalachia, taking a break after a long day, with a bird whistling nearby. I feel very honored to be part of such a special bookring. It made me contemplate, what book would I do that with, and why? Someday I'd like to initiate such a special ring myself.

Safe travels dear friend, and dear book.

I'll be finishing this within a few days. I'll PM bookish-angel for her address.

Journal Entry 15 by PokPok from Vista, California USA on Tuesday, July 01, 2008
5 stars:I didn't particularly like it or dislike it; mixed or no real interest

---------------

I finished the last section "love" last night. I found this one the most interesting and least indulgent. Her descriptions of love in general and Felipe were interesting, as was her relationships with Wayan, Tutti, and the other Bali residents she met.

I give this book 5 stars, according to my description above. I found snippets fun and did underline all sorts of sections of the book! Somehow that seems inadequate or a "guilty" rating... I am sorry I did not love this book more. I do not share her religious beliefs, or her beliefs about love and loss, either. I think that made it fundamentally difficult for me to truly embrace.

I will get it mailed off to bookish-angel this week; I've got her address already.

Pokpok

Released 11 yrs ago (7/3/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled release, to another bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailing off to bookish-angel

Journal Entry 17 by Bookish-Angel on Monday, July 07, 2008
I am SO honored to be on this auspicious list and thus a small part of Firegirl's own incredible journey and I can't wait to meet her in person and buy her dinner and a beer (or two!) in 2010!

FYI, everyone: The Hello Kitty stickers ('cause HK is SO utterly cool, don'cha know!) were added by me and I am the "pink highlighter adjacent to printing in black ink for my musings" person.

About the book:

Well, I wish I could say I loved the book but I didn't. While I truly appreciate and understood Gilbert's quest and found a few gems of insight in the book and some real chuckles when Richard from Texas came on the scene, I thought the book was too long. My interest started to wane about 20 pages into India. I did like that her sister and a friend joined up with her along the way as I thought the opinions of those other women provided a nice juxtaposition against Gilbert's; the "compare and contrast" was enjoyable reading. I will say that Gilbert's description of various pizzas made me single-mindedly lust for lots and lots of pizza with double cheese!!

Would anyone else like to see Richard from Texas write a similar book?!! That guy is hysterically funny AND clued in.

Off to classicfox on 7/18/08 as libertine101 asked to be skipped.

Journal Entry 18 by classicfox on Thursday, July 24, 2008
Came in the mail today from Bookish-Angel. I am blown away by all the diverse comments and opinions. I should be starting it by next week. Have to look around for a colored marker not yet used, lol and am looking forward to adding my very honest, real perceptions. Thank you so much for including me in this ring, Firegirl as I know it is only for a select few and I am honored to be in such fine company as the other friends you have selected!

Journal Entry 19 by classicfox on Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Wanted to pop in for a moment and mention how much I am enjoying this book! Don't think I'd be half as interested if it wasn't for the others' comments. I look forward to every page just to read everyone's thoughts. Firegirl, this was an ingenious idea! I'm sure you'll treasure reading this while on your trek. This may be a bit slow going for me as I'm not reading every day; I just pick it up when in the mood and am taking my time, which is one reason I'm enjoying it. No pressure to get it read right away. But I *will* get it read and mailed in a timely fashion.
P.S. We're still in Italy at this point.

8/15: We have just arrived in India.
8/24: Now entering Indonesia
8/28: Finished!

Journal Entry 20 by classicfox on Thursday, August 28, 2008
I'm giving this 9 stars as I very much enjoyed it! I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. What all the other BCers had to say was very interesting and that was a huge reason I had so much fun with it, but I now know I would have enjoyed the book in and of itself. Italy was my favorite part as it appealed to my hungry, self-indulgent, love to eat side. I'm not and never have been a big pizza lover (I'm very picky about my pizza) but after reading about the pizza in Naples, I know for sure I'll NEVER be satisfied with American pizza!
I read that part aloud to DH and I think we were both drooling, lol.
Off to India and Liz gets serious about her spiritual life. I'm glad she hit Italy first and got to indulge before the "great spiritual awakening," lol. I found myself enthralled with all that she learned about spirituality in India. I think it takes alot of discipline, physical and mental to endure the rigidity of meditation - performed the correct way. My hat is off to her.
Indonesia was my least favorite country - I was really disappointed towards the end when she discovered she was being b***s****ed and I know how disenchanted she was with this. But Felipe made up for any disappointment. To be loved like that!
Can't say much more and probably said too much already as we have one reader left. But I would highly recommend this book. I think Liz is a wonderful author and she was able to convey every feeling she was experiencing with clarity and complete honesty.
Thank you, Firegirl, again, for including me in this exclusive ring. I had so much fun reading everybody's thoughts so I can just imagine how you will love reading them! Happy travels, my friend and God speed.
This will be mailed off to tempestsans on Tuesday as I already have her addy. Happy reading!!

Journal Entry 21 by classicfox at Canton, Georgia USA on Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/2/2008 UTC) at Canton, Georgia USA

Mailed first class today to tempestsans. Hope you enjoy!

10/3/08: I pmed Tempestsans awhile back to make sure she received this book--and she did; just wanted to make a note that it is not still traveling.

Journal Entry 22 by tempestsans from Canton, Georgia USA on Tuesday, December 01, 2009
good heavens what a lousy bookcrosser i've been with this book! i am so sorry! i was sure i'd journaled on arrival - then sure that i had when classicfox pmed to make sure the book had arrived safely. now i find i never did - good grief!

and to top it off, i struggled and fought reading this for whatever reason for a year. well, finally gave in and stopped torturing myself with it and have now sent it home to Firegirl...first class with another book and some BC goodies to help cushion the blow of having hung onto this for so very long.

someday i may actually get a copy read - i just have not been ready for whatever was in it that i was supposed to learn i guess.

Journal Entry 23 by wingFiregirlwing from Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, December 04, 2009
This came safely home, thank you everyone! I think I know why it stayed with you so long, TS. This was the exact right time for it to come back to me. I've been feeling a little down the past few weeks for several reasons. My new home in my new state is excellent, but it's always a tad lonely until you make new friends, isn't it? Plus I'm coming to terms with the fact that my wonderful Trail adventure will likely have to postponed another year. Then here this book comes back, filled with thoughts of my wonderful Bookcrossing friends, to remind me how lucky I am to have these people in my life and that my adventure will be fabulous, and the waiting will only make it better.

Though I'm temped to flip through and read just what you all have noted, I think the universe is trying to tell me to re-read this, something I very rarely do. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again, ladies, for being a part of this. I can't wait to take you all with me on my Trail trip, whenever it happens.

(Thanks for the the wonderful box of gifts too, TS! I'm making this JE at work but will make one for the other book when I get home.)

Journal Entry 24 by tempestsans at Canton, Georgia USA on Wednesday, June 13, 2018
after a gracious honoring of my request to re-loan me this book and more than a year it took me to read it, this wonderful well loved and annotated copy is on it's way back home. this has been a big learning and growth year for me in terms of self discovery, self care and what i'd term spirituality (not religion). this book has been a part of that journey and i can't thank you enough for entrusting it to me once again. (USPS should be putting it in your mailbox today, tomorrow or Friday). i've included another book from your wishlist my friend and hope you enjoy it. much love and many thanks

Journal Entry 25 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Friday, June 15, 2018
Welcome home, dear book! What a decade it has been since you started your journey! We were supposed to hike the AT together, but we did not. You weren't even with me when I first stood upon it. But fear not, I have not made that journey, so there is still time. I have had plenty of other adventures - since you've been away, I moved to two different states, became a nurse, and got married, to mention just the big things. Suffice to say, it is time to read you again, and see who I am now, compared to who I was then.

Thank you again, strong, amazing women, for taking part in this. I've met a few more to join our ranks; perhaps I will get this into their hands after my reread.

Journal Entry 26 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/27/2018 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

It's on the move again! This time to a dear friend in Washington State. She's not a BC-er, so there may be no journal entry, this is mostly to help me keep track of where this beloved book is.