Life of Pi

by Yann Martel | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 184195392x Global Overview for this book
Registered by Tanamo of Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 9/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
After the tragic sinking of a cargo ship, one solitary lifeboat remains bobbing on the wild, blue Pacific. The only survivors from the wreck are a sixteen-year-old boy name Pi, a hyena, a zebra (with a broken leg), a female orang-utan ... and a 450 pound Royal Bengal tiger. The scene is set for one of the most extraordinary works of fiction in recent years.

Journal Entry 2 by Tanamo from Hinckley, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
I finally got around to reading this and what an amazing book. In all honesty though I couldn't say I enjoyed it. For someone as squeamish as I it was a difficult read and I was glad the chapters were short so I could read a few and then leave off to do something else or read something else. I had to go back to it though because I had to know what happened in the end and there was no way I would turn to the back of the book to find out. I had to read it. It hooked me like a horror story. It was compulsively fascinating.

Journal Entry 3 by Tanamo at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 08, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/8/2008 UTC) at Coventry, West Midlands United Kingdom

Taking to the Coventry meet up today.

Journal Entry 4 by veganbob from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, November 08, 2008
Picked this up at the BC meet at Liquid in Coventry today.

Journal Entry 5 by veganbob at The Boathouse pub in Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 14, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/15/2008 UTC) at The Boathouse pub in Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom

To be taken to the meet tomorrow.

Journal Entry 6 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 15, 2008
Picked up at the Shrewsbury meet.

Journal Entry 7 by dolph1n from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 03, 2009
I must admit, I skimmed a lot of this book. it just didn't do much for me. You didn't say what you thought of it Bob. As a vegetarian I found some of it too descriptive and had to skip a lot.

Journal Entry 8 by dolph1n at Courtyard Coffee Shop in Llangollen, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at Courtyard Coffee Shop in Llangollen, Wales United Kingdom

If it is not taken from the meet up I will leave it somewhere in the town.

Journal Entry 9 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, January 19, 2009
Taken off your hands Dolph1n - at the meet! Looks like an interesting read!

Journal Entry 10 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 27, 2009
I thought this book was going to be really enjoyable, but have been quite disappointed.
There is a lot of religious prose, which I don't find very interesting, hence the book has been unable to keep my attention, and I have had to give up on it.

Offering as a bookring to keep it going.

Drykid - UK (UK)
Caroley - UK (Intl)
pingucb - UK (pref UK/EU but Intl OK)
LadyTrinity - Norway (EU) skipped
rebeccaljames - USA (USA)<-------- BOOK IS HERE
nancynova - USA(USA/Intl)

Released 9 yrs ago (4/6/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending out as a bookring. Drykid is first on the list! Enjoy the book :-)

Journal Entry 12 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Arrived in the post today. Thanks so much, I have already read the first few chapters and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 13 by DryKid from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, April 09, 2009
Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed this book and devoured it in a few days. Even though most of the events seem quite remarkable the author brings it to life cleverly and it was easy to get sucked into Pi's world. The fact the book is written in the first person makes you really connect with the main characters suffering and really believe the story. Reality is just a story anyway, isn't it? Ask a hundred people who witnessed the same event what they saw and they will probably give widely varying accounts.

There is a religious theme running throughout the book and although I'm not a religous person and don't necessarily agree with all of the messages, I found the way the book addresses faith and the nature of humans and animals very interesting. It's a clever, sometimes quite disturbing book with many moments of genuine tension, and some surprises along the way, certainly not one for the squeamish.

Although the start of the book claims the story will make you believe in God, it didn't, nor did I expect it to. But this book will probably keep me thinking for a long while after I have read it and that has to be a good thing.

Journal Entry 14 by DryKid at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/15/2009 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted today to the next person in the bookring, Caroley. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, April 17, 2009
Received this morning thanks.

I'd have journalled it sooner but I accidentally glanced at the first page and have had my nose in it ever since...

Journal Entry 16 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, April 19, 2009
Loved this! I can't believe I haven't read it sooner.

I found the religious aspects amusing rather than tedious as they were short and rather absurd. The tale was alternately horrific, funny, tense, sad etc. Brilliant all the way through and then the ending just blew me away.

If I didn't have another bookring sitting on my desk looking at me, I'd be tempted to pick up Pi again for another read.

Thanks for sharing it Jozebedee, and for sending it the short hop across the city Drykid.

Will PM for the next address.

Journal Entry 17 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, April 19, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (4/19/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class.

Journal Entry 18 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Received this this morning - thankyou :-)
Is next on my list to read after my current book.

Journal Entry 19 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, April 30, 2009
Am going to start this book tonight. Will get it to the next reader as soon as possible :-)

Journal Entry 20 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Thursday, May 14, 2009
I'm really struggling to make my mind up about this book. Of the many chapters, there were some that I loved to read, but during many others I could quite easily have stopped reading and given up the book altogether. I'm glad I continued - the ending was well worth getting to and left me smiling - but ultimately I still feel the book lacked something, particularly during the middle section. At times amazing, fascinating and unusual, but at others dull, frustrating and repetitive. I wouldn't rush to read this author again.

Have contacted the next recipient a couple of days ago and am waiting for them to PM me their details so I can get the book moving again :-)

Journal Entry 21 by pingucb from Lower Kingswood, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, May 25, 2009
Have had no response from LadyTrinity via PM or messages on the forum.
PM'd the next recipient today and waiting to hear back - am hoping to get this book back in transit this week :-)

Journal Entry 22 by pingucb at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (5/27/2009 UTC) at Tadworth, Surrey United Kingdom

Posted to rebeccaljames via airmail - hopefully should arrive in a few days.

Journal Entry 23 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2009
I received this book a while ago. I will get to it as soon as possible. Thank you for sharing.

Journal Entry 24 by amandahugnkiss at Craigsville, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 31, 2013
I bought this on ebay from someone in the states. Haven't read it yet, but recently saw the movie. I'm sure the book will be better.