The Lady on My Left

by Catherine Cookson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bestfriends of - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on 9/25/2007
Journal Entry 1 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Synopsis
Alison Read, orphaned at two years old, is brought up by her guardian Paul Aylmer, an antique dealer whom she works for. When he asks her to value the contents of Beacon Ride, matters do not proceed as expected, leading to a chain of events that reveal a secret Paul has concealed for years.

Borrowed from a friend in the village in France, I used to live in. When I wanted to give it back (unread, I just did not get around to reading it) before moving away two weeks ago, she said I could keep it for Bookcrossing. How kind.

I used to like CC's books when I was a young adult. I haven't read one since and that's quite some time ago! I vaguely remember I tried again maybe ten years ago and thought her work was just not my cup of tea any more. This kind friend in France adores her, so I did not want to disappoint her or seem ungrateful when she lent it to me ;-) Books in English were hard to get there. I'll give it a try soon.

Journal Entry 2 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Sunday, May 11, 2008
Finished reading in one sitting during a nice Sunday afternoon in the sunshine. I found it entertaining and a pleasant read, but I don't feel the urge to go look for more by this author.

Off to a new home where it will be appreciated, I'm sure!

Journal Entry 3 by bestfriends at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium on Monday, May 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/13/2008 UTC) at Spa, Liège / Luik Belgium

CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES: by mail.

A thank you RABCK for lauraloo29 in Canada. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Thursday, May 22, 2008
Arrived safe and sound today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 5 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, July 03, 2015
I did enjoy the twists. Unexpected. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the "love" story.

Journal Entry 6 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 25, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (6/27/2018 UTC) at Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sending to the winner of You've got mail sweepstakes. Congratulations!

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, July 14, 2018
Received as part of the You've Got Mail sweeps. Thanks very much lauraloo29. Apologies for the slight delay in journalling. I had written the BCID down incorrectly. :-)

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 17, 2018
I think my view of this book was a combination of that of the previous two readers. I found Paul and Alison's relationship a bit odd. I suppose the book is reflecting the time it was written in (1970s). I'm more familiar with Catherine Cookson's historical fiction and hadn't realised she'd written anything contemporary. (This was written at the time it is set.)
I plan to wild release this one soon.

Journal Entry 9 by bookfrogster at Little Free Library in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (8/4/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Set free in the Little Free Library in the Stockbridge Colonies. Happy reading!