Thing of Beauty

by Stephen Fried | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by RockBird of Mission Viejo, California USA on 9/22/2007
Journal Entry 1 by RockBird from Mission Viejo, California USA on Saturday, September 22, 2007
I picked this book up for a quick read while I was visiting some family, thinking it would be a fluff-book, but it ended up being a bit more thought provolking.
It's about Gia Marie Caranagi, an early supermodel who died of AIDS. It chronicled her life and romances, but also the era in which she lived (late seventies and early eighties). It was mostly pretty well written, and quite elucidating.
The book doesn't hesitate to detail Gia's lesbianism, but doesn't try to turn it into titalation, either, which is really refreshing. It's treated as just another fact of her existance.
I have the odd feeling that as soon as I send this out into the world, I'll end up buying another copy, but c'est la vie. This book is far too good to keep to myself.

*Edit 3-10-08*
This book is finally starting its ring. The book ring thread can be found here; depending on where the book is, you may still be able to join, if interested. The participants are as follows:
acountkel- USA (NC)
Isabelopes- Portugal
Moonwoolf- Portugal
kiyoitsukikage- Poland
Kera- UK
Scrutiny- Hong Kong

Released 11 yrs ago (3/10/2008 UTC) at in front of the house in -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sent on to finally get the bookring going.

Journal Entry 3 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 13, 2008
Caught today
Really interested in reading this.
Thanks for sending!
I'll read and send on as soon as possible

Journal Entry 4 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Here is what I liked about this book: This book was well written and loaded with great information. Information, not only about Gia but anything you wanted to know about the modeling industry in the late 70’s and early 80’s, the culture of that time, New York and the bar scene. The author even had some comments about the politics of the time with some typically left-wing media type comments about Ronald Reagan. Here is what I didn’t like: I thought I was reading a book about Gia Carangi and her life. Instead, I got more than I bargained for. If you want an education on the modeling industry during the time, this is the book for you. Me, I was never interested in this industry, even as a teenager. The author’s attempt to provide detail of the modeling industry was like reading a textbook or maybe it was an explanation of one more thing to blame on Gia’s demise. It might have escalated the downward spiral but the real source behind Gia’s addiction was her childhood. There is no doubt in my mind, after reading this book, the the sole source for Gia’s addiction was her dysfunctional family. The author’s attempt to use the modeling industry, the culture of that time period, Reagan cutting funding for public drug rehab, did not convince me otherwise. Yes, this is a very sad story and I am very glad I read it. I have been surfing the web to see the collection of covers and pictures of this incredibly beautiful person. It definitely left an impression on me. I just think this story could have been told in a more personal, more concise way.

Isabelopes has asked to be skipped.
Contacting next person in line for their address to send this book on.
Thank you for including me!!!

Mailed to moonwolf 4/5/08

Journal Entry 5 by Moonwoolf from Azambuja, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, April 11, 2008
Arrived today. I'm still reading two books, but will be next. Thanks for sharing and sending. :)

05-05-2008= This was a nice book, although i though it could be written as a romance, and it wasn't; i guess it would be better... Thanks!
On its way to isabel. :)

Journal Entry 6 by Moonwoolf at on Monday, May 05, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (5/5/2008 UTC) at

Happy little travel :)

Journal Entry 7 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Received today - thanks to Moonwoolf!! Plus a great surprise... 3 bags of tea!! I love tea!!! Thank you.

Will read this book as soon as my TBR pile allows me!!! Thanks for sharing...

Journal Entry 8 by Isabelopes from Cacém, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, July 09, 2008
Finished it today and I'll send it today as I already have the address from kiyoitsukikage.

I liked the book but at some point it felt like the author was always repeating the same things ... going back and forward in her life. She was really beautiful with a really fucked up mind - perdon my language!

Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 9 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, July 25, 2008
Sorry - the book has been with me for almost two weeks now, I forgot to journal it! So far I'm enjoying it. ;)
Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 10 by kiyoitsukikage from Brixton, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, August 15, 2008
Similarly to acountkel, I didn't expect the book to provide so much insight in the industry. The book is not a straightforward biography, but a kind of very long feature, encompassing not only her life, but also the fashion and modeling business. It seems to me that it wasn't entirely concentrated on Gia. Either way, I liked the book, it was quite interesting. Thanks for sharing.

The book has been on its way for about a week now.

Journal Entry 11 by Kera from Brixham, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, August 16, 2008
Received in the post this morning :) This is my next tbr book.

Journal Entry 12 by Kera from Brixham, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, September 06, 2008
Unfortunately I just could not get into this book at all and have decided to send this onto the next person in the ring. Thanks for letting me take part

Journal Entry 13 by scrutiny on Saturday, September 27, 2008
The book is with me now and it's next in line for me to read!

Journal Entry 14 by scrutiny on Saturday, October 25, 2008
I'd say that this book is a little on the rambling side of things - it goes on and on about the fashion industry, which is insightful but can be a bit tedious at times. I'm surprised I managed to read all of it!

Please Rockbird let me know who to send it onto - it's ready to go anytime!

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, February 01, 2009
I chose this book for a Postcrossing tag. I have heard of Gia and her lifestyle and subsequent death and I know there was a movie made starring Angelina Jolie but I've never watched it. I'm looking forward to reading this book, definitely.

CAUGHT IN SUBANG JAYA SELANGOR MALAYSIA