Year of Wonders

by Geraldine Brooks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by seldombites of Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on 9/21/2007
Journal Entry 1 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 21, 2007
BLURB:

Spring 1666: when the Great Plague reaches the quiet Derbyshire village of Eyam, the villagers make an extraordinary decision. They elect to isolate themselves in a fateful quaruntine. So begins the Year of Wonders, seen through eighteen-year-old Anna Frith's eyes as she confronts the loss of her family, the disintegration of her community, and the lure of a dangerous and illicit love. Based on a true story, this novel explores love and learning, fear and fanaticism, and the struggles of seventeenth-century science religion to interpret the world at the cusp of the modern era.

COMMENT:

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The relationships were deeply written and the courage of the characters was believable. An interesting look into what may have been going through the minds of ythese remarkable people.

Journal Entry 2 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, November 02, 2007
Reserved for Oz VBB

Journal Entry 3 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 08, 2008
Sent to blue1236 as part of the OzVBB.

Journal Entry 4 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
I had totally forgotten about this one. =) Thank you for sending it and also for extra book.

Journal Entry 5 by blue1236 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Saturday, August 01, 2009
Ready to be dropped off as part of my massive book clearance.

Journal Entry 6 by blue1236 at Melbourne, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, August 01, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (8/2/2009 UTC) at Melbourne, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy! Thanks for helping with my clear-out. =)

Journal Entry 7 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Monday, August 03, 2009
One of my all-time favourite books, I read this and passed it on to many NZreaders who also enjoyed it greatly. Here is my journal from the previous copy
"I bought this book on sale hoping for a good read before I released it through the bookcrossing site.
I couldn't put the book down! Except for about 20 pages towards the end of the book (when the ending looked like it was going to be an unbelievable "happily ever after"); the story was moving and believable.
"An astonishing re-creation of how it felt to be a victim and survivor ... vivid in its humanity."
Mailed to boreal on 15/3 as a trade after she so kindly sent me a book on my wish list".
Not sure whether I will put this on my shelf as part of my personal collection or keep it moving. Thank you blue1236.

On the book buffet - hopefully to be picked up and enjoyed by another reader.
This book was set free to find a new reader and I'm glad you've found it!
If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer. It would be great if you make a journal entry of some sort, maybe you could say where you found it (they don't always stay where they were originally left!) or what you think of the idea of travelling books.
You can keep it or leave it for someone else to find. And don't forget, if you join BookCrossing (it doesn't cost anything to join!) and make release notes (to say where you've left it, and when) next time it's journalled you'll hear from it too! Please feel free to send me a Private Message, by clicking on the name “meganh”, to ask for help with anything.

Journal Entry 9 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2011
This was left on the BookCrossers-only book buffet at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention in Washington, DC. I read another copy of this book a while back, and this is what I had to say then:

The plague strikes in a tiny village, and its inhabitants decide to quarantine themselves in order to prevent spreading the infection. Anna, a mere housemaid to the rector, becomes an unlikely hero through this tragedy. As time wears on and more people die, the villagers become desperate, turning to superstition and even violence. The story covers the entire event, from the delivery of the infected bolt of cloth to the reopening of the village all the way to Anna’s life afterward. When I think of the plague I usually think Middle Ages; this took place in 1666, well after the first colonies in America were founded. Even so, medicine was still quite primitive, consisting of barber-surgeons with their leeches and wise women with their herbs. Perhaps most fascinating is the afterword, where the author reveals that her story was based on the real village of Eyam who made a similar decision to cut themselves off from the rest of the world. In addition to the history, there is a lot of discussion of faith in the face of adversity, the role of women in society, and the nature of disease as it was known at the time. There’s quite a lot of story packed into this slim volume. Definitely recommended.

I plan to continue its journey via bookray or RABCK.

Journal Entry 10 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (4/26/2011 UTC) at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA

Mailing to Shroffland as a wishlist RABCK.

Journal Entry 11 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Monday, May 02, 2011
This surprise RABCK arrived in today's mail! Thank you, melydia, I've been wanting to read this for a long time.

Journal Entry 12 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Friday, December 09, 2011
Just finishing this fascinating story and contributing it to bookstogives's General loit. VBB.

Journal Entry 13 by wingShrofflandwing at Snellville, Georgia USA on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/10/2012 UTC) at Snellville, Georgia USA

A fascinating and imaginative exercise in guessing how a small village quarantiNed itself for year when its citizens we're stricken with the Plague.

On its way to jumping in as part of bookstogive's General Lit. VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, January 21, 2012
Thanks, Shroffland! This sounds so interesting.

Journal Entry 15 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Such a beautiful and sad book. The characterization was very well done; it was interesting to see how people reacted to a long-term, horrific event in different ways. Having read the afterword first, I was intrigued by the fact that the story was inspired by a real village.

Thanks, Shroffland, for sharing!

Journal Entry 16 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Thanks for sending this one selected from the Lit VBB. I've heard good things about it!

Journal Entry 17 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Tuesday, October 09, 2018
YEAR OF WONDERS is a very moving fictional account inspired by the true story of the villagers of Eyam, Derbyshire in 1666 when the town was struck by plague. The novel is told from the point of view of Anna, a young widow with two children. When a visiting tailor receives a bolt of cloth from London, the village is beset with a year-long outbreak of bubonic plague. Anna is a maid to the local pastor, Michael Mompellion, and his wife Elinor. When her two young children are taken by the plague, Anna and Elinor take it upon themselves to learn all they can to try to combat the disease including turning to the local healers who were accused of witchcraft. Mompellion decides it best to quarantine the village and encourages everyone to stay put to reduce the spread of the plague. But in the end over two-thirds of the population is devastated by the disease. The book is full of the extremes of human existence ranging from the very good and benevolence of humanity to the evil and barbarism that also exist as the plague affects the community.

This is a novel not easily forgotten as a young woman struggles to survive during a year of extreme hardship. I have read and enjoyed a couple of other novels by Brooks including PEOPLE OF THE BOOK and MARCH and will be looking forward to more from her.