Ancient Shores

by Jack McDevitt | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by TomHl of Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on 9/17/2007
Journal Entry 1 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Monday, September 17, 2007
This book arrived today from Hawaii, in a trade arranged through paperbackswap.com.

Journal Entry 2 by TomHl from Pewaukee, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, September 23, 2007
This is a classic artifact story, much in the same way that McDevitt's Eternity Road is a classic after-the-bomb story. North Dakota farmer Tom Lasker finds a strange shark-fin shaped object in his wheat field. After being dug up, it turns out to be the tip of a boat made of a previously unknown transuranic material, apparently lost on glacial Lake Agassiz ten thousand years ago. This book isn't so much about the artifact itself or the lost civilization it implies, although that part is interesting unto itself, as about the effect of such a discovery being made in the modern public world. How can the institutions that bind our civilization handle this? As I have come to expect from McDevitt, the stress builds right up to the final pages. Fun ending.

Journal Entry 3 by TomHl2 at Beaufort, South Carolina USA on Friday, November 5, 2021
I bought a good-condition used hardcover copy today, to replace this in my collection. This one is now available for bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 4 by TomHl2 at Little Free Library - Veridian Park in Beaufort, South Carolina USA on Sunday, November 28, 2021

Released 2 mos ago (11/28/2021 UTC) at Little Free Library - Veridian Park in Beaufort, South Carolina USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library in Veridian Park. It is located between Veridian Park West and Veridian Park East, near the intersection with Celadon Drive, on Lady's Island near Beaufort SC USA.
-----
Congratulations! This is now your book, and you may do as you please with it: keep it as long as you wish, share it with a friend, or leave it where someone else can find it!

Of course, we hope you will make a journal entry to let its previous readers know how & where you found the book. What do you think of it? What will you do with it when you're done? This can be done anonymously. Or if you sympathize with bookcrossing's catch-and-release philosophy, you can open your own account, and be notified when future readers find the book. Some suggestions for release "in the wild" are public bookshelves in coffeeshops, or one of those Little Free Libraries you see all over the place.

In any case, enjoy. There is no cost or obligation.