Watership Down

by Richard Adams | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingfuturecatwing of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 9/14/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, September 14, 2007
I must have first read this book (or rather, another copy of this book, which I still have in my possession, although it's literally been read to death, having been separated from its cover years ago, and many of its pages ripped or lost altogether) when I was about 10, and I instantly loved it (the kitten we acquired at that time was named Hazel-rah at my insistence :-)). I re-read it many times through my teens, until eventually it was in the state described above, when I reluctantly set it aside. It stayed in my library, though, even through the many purges of moving house, going overseas (when it was left in a box of "don't throw these away, ever!" treasures at my mother's house), and generally trying to reduce the amount of "stuff" in my life.

But now, that copy's finally being retired to the great bookshelf in the sky (otherwise known as "landfill"), and being replaced by this copy, picked up at a booksale earlier in the year (which I promptly forgot, so ended up buying a second copy at another booksale a couple of months later). And in honour of it returning in readable form to my bookshelf, I re-read it (albeit with some trepidation, wondering if it would stand up to my affectionate childhood memories).

And it's still a lovely book. Not as deep as I remember it being - through adult eyes I can recognise the craft being used to tug heartstrings and evoke echoes of human society - but still a great story, and one I'll probably return to again over the years.

Now I just need another kitten, so I can name it after one of the rabbits. But not Hazel-rah this time, I think, but Pipkin - I reckon he's the real unacknowledged hero of this book.

^ ^