The Wasp Factory

by Iain Banks | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by FoxyRedDragon33 of Kemptville, Ontario Canada on 9/5/2007
Journal Entry 1 by FoxyRedDragon33 from Kemptville, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 05, 2007
I was given this book to register and release. It's ready to go.

Journal Entry 2 by FoxyRedDragon33 from Kemptville, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 24, 2008
This book is now on reserve for christina82 of Denmark. To be mailed out soon! :)

Journal Entry 3 by FoxyRedDragon33 from Kemptville, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 03, 2008
This book was mailed out today (April 3/08) to christina82 in Denmark. I hope that you will enjoy reading this book!! :D

Journal Entry 4 by christina82 from Stege, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Sunday, April 20, 2008
Got this book in the mail sometime during the last two weeks - I have been really stressed lately - which is the reasn for this late registration.

Thanks FoxyRedDragon33...

In fact I have already read it and I think it is great. Quite disgusting at times - but great! I think that my friend Ditte should read this, so I will pass it on to her.

Journal Entry 5 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Thursday, April 24, 2008
My friend gave me this book yesterday and I'm looking forward to reading it. So thanks christina82 :0)

Journal Entry 6 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Friday, June 13, 2008
This was a really good read with a surprising twist in the end.

I'm turning it in to a bookring for other bookcrossers to enjoy

SHIPPING ORDER FOR THE RING (may change if more people join):

1. madnad – Spain (Europe)
2. afraberg – Netherlands (International)
3. jellyfish67 – UK
4. ArabellaFigg – UK (International)
5. cat207 – Australia (Australia)
6. davemurray101 – Australia (international)
7. Supertalya – US (US)
8. spaceystacey – US (US)
9. daniellechonody – Dallas, Texas (US or international)
10. hereticcoy - US (prefer US) <-- skipped
11. BouncingFerret - US (prefer US)
12. allthesepieces - US (prefer US)
13. TerraceWest – Canada (Canada or North America)
14. ajsmom - Canada (International)
15. bourbongal - Canada () <-- skipped
16. carelaisa - Canada (Canada or US)
17. rockyhorror1978 - Canada (International) <-- Here
18. EmgeeNL - Netherlands (International if needed)
19. contraforsa - Greece ()
20. Jonniboi - UK (UK)
21. Fluffy-Owl - UK (UK)
22. kingfan30 - UK (UK or Europe)
23. Jozebedee - UK (Europe)
24. shovelmonkey1 - UK (Europe)
25. Tubereader - Luxembourg (Europe)
26. nanny60read - Canada (International)

- Back home to DitteL in Denmark

Journal Entry 7 by DitteL from Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Tuesday, July 01, 2008
The book is on its way to madnad.

Journal Entry 8 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Thursday, July 03, 2008
Received from DitteL today with many, many thanks! I'm ready to start reading it tonight:)

Journal Entry 9 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Thursday, July 10, 2008
I really enjoyed this book! At times it reminded me of Hemingway with its gloomy and maybe even boring descriptions, and those parts I didn't like, but the actual story line I thought was great and... definitely different! The twist at the end of the story was a surprise.

It's the story of a teenager whose father decided not to have his life "registered" (he has no birth certificate...), so his life is bound to be different to everybody else's. In his life he killed 3 family members, nobody really suspecting anything. His brother has gone crazy and just escaped from a mental hospital; during the book the reader is frequently encountered with phone calls between the 2 siblings. The main character lives a bit of a solitary life, is in love with experimenting and killing animals... There are a lot of violent descriptions but I thought it made for an interesting read:)

The book will hopefully be sent to the next person this afternoon!

Journal Entry 10 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Thursday, July 10, 2008
the book is on its way to afraberg now:)

Journal Entry 11 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 21, 2008
This book arrived in my mailbox during my holiday in India.
I got home yesterday and will read the book the coming week.

Thank you very much for sending madnad!

Journal Entry 12 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Friday, July 25, 2008
This is really a great book!
Thank you very much DitteL for sharing!

Today the book goes on the mail to jellyfish67.

Journal Entry 13 by jellyfish67 from Burnley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 03, 2008
Arrived safely yesterday

Journal Entry 14 by jellyfish67 at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/16/2008 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Thanks for the chance to read this, sorry for the delay. Enjoy the book...

Journal Entry 15 by ArabellaFigg from Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, December 19, 2008
Book arrived yesterday, thanks jellyfish67. Will start it as soon as I've finished current read.

Journal Entry 16 by ArabellaFigg from Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 03, 2009
Can't decide whether I liked this book or not. It was a compulsive read though I found some parts a bit difficult.
Will PM cat207 and get the book moving as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 17 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Arrived in today's mail. Thank you ArabellaFigg and DitteL for sharing. X

Journal Entry 18 by cat207 from Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 20, 2009
A very strange story - certainly not average!

Heading to davemurray101 in tomorrow's mail.

Journal Entry 19 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, January 22, 2009
Recieved today in the mail. thanks Cat207 - hopefully Telstra will allow me to go to the next meeting.. Thanks to Dittel for starting the ring.

Journal Entry 20 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, January 26, 2009
Another disturbing book from Iain Banks. The book has a strong sense of isolation (the main character not being a legal person) and a family all of whoms members are insane. Disturbing all up - but the ending was completely unexpected alltogether. Well worth its place in the 1001 books.
Mailing to Supertalya in the next week or so.

Journal Entry 21 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/26/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent to Supertalya – hope you enjoy

Journal Entry 22 by Supertalya on Monday, February 09, 2009
Thanks so much!

This book was very disturbing. I will send it off as soon as I get Spaceystacey's addy. Thanks for sharing and I am sorry for keeping it so long. It was difficult to get into.

Journal Entry 23 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Saturday, April 11, 2009
Received in the post recently and will be reading shortly. Thank you for sharing. I have already contacted the next reader to obtain address for posting.

05/06/2009 Reading this book this evening and then posting out to the next reader on the list. I have never read Iain Bains before but I must say that this style of writing is very dark and, at times very disturbing.

08/2009 Posted out to the next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 24 by daniellechonody from Dallas, Texas USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009
Just got the book this week when I arrived back from a business trip. Finished it in a couple of days in bed with the flu. Very unusual topic but it drew me in and kept me reading. Reminded me of Lord of the Flies. Makes me wonder what happened to the characters after the book ended.

Journal Entry 25 by daniellechonody at Euless, Texas USA on Saturday, October 31, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/31/2009 UTC) at Euless, Texas USA

Could not contact the next reader on the ring - sent on today to BouncingFerret via First Class mail

Journal Entry 26 by BouncingFerret on Wednesday, February 17, 2010
FINALLY!!! Firstly, I should apologize for the awful delay. Something was wrong at the PO with my new address, so then it was shipped to my parents house and it took me awhile to visit them. However, I'm already more than half way through this book and I love it!
The strange thinking of the main character is interesting and unique. Sometimes it makes me sick and other times makes me feel strangely alive to read about his rituals and opinions on life. I will probably finish this today. I'll PM the next person now. Again, sorry to anyone who is anxiously awaiting their turn with this book.

Journal Entry 27 by BouncingFerret at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, February 19, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/18/2010 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

I loved everything about this book. I've already borrowed another of Iain Bank's novels from the library. Yay for finding new favorite authors! Thanks so much for the book ring (and not tar & feathering me for the delay) haha.

Sent this out yesterday to the next person in the ring. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did ^.^

Journal Entry 28 by snarkhunting from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Sunday, February 21, 2010
Wow, that was quick! This one came in yesterday. I think I'll start reading it later tonight. Thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by snarkhunting from Atlanta, Georgia USA on Monday, March 29, 2010
I've kept this one a little longer than I should have, but it gave me the time I needed to catch up on rings and rays. (Funny how they always seem to all arrive all at once, isn't it?) Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get in touch with TerraceWest, so the book will be on its way to ajsmom next. (Hope everything's OK!)

What can I say about this book? The main character was such a wretched little cretin, hollow inside, and so damn unlikeable. But the story begs the question, wouldn't you be a little crazy too? (Or is he really crazy?)

It seemed like a blend of American Psycho and The Catcher in the Rye. Not sure I'd recommend it, but glad I gave it a read.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 30 by snarkhunting at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/29/2010 UTC) at ~ An Exchange!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

I'm hoping to get to the post office before it closes this afternoon, but if I don't make it, I will have this book on its way tomorrow. Happy Bookcrossing!

Journal Entry 31 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, April 22, 2010
Received today, thank you!

Journal Entry 32 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, May 02, 2010
I really don't do well with violence against animals - and in reference to a comment prior to mine, I threw American Psycho away (the only book I've ever tossed) - but managed to skim the really unpleasant bits. The story of Francis was intriguing, but ultimately too disturbing to recommend it to any of my friends! I don't know - it's probably one of those books that will stick with me for a while, but only because it really bothers me.
I will contact next in line and hopefully have this book on its' way this week.

May 10: ETA: still trying to find someone to send this book to! I have just PM'd carelaisa as I heard nothing back from the previous two.

Journal Entry 33 by ajsmom at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 13, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/12/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Finally found a taker for this book! It was sent off to carelaisa in Quebec yesterday afternoon.

Journal Entry 34 by carelaisa from Québec, Québec Canada on Wednesday, May 19, 2010
rec'd this morning from ajsmom. Thanks for sending it my way!

I'll start reading it this weekend, as I'm currently reading another book.

Journal Entry 35 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Thursday, May 27, 2010
Well, it was a strange read. It wasn't what I expected when I first read the book's resume and signed on for this ring. But, nevertheless, I did like reading it though it's definitely not part of my favourite books. Maybe it's due to the fact that the main character is really strange. One thing I liked is the ending - was not expecting something like that to happen.

I have pm'ed the next BCer in line for this ring and will mail, hopefully, the book next week.

Journal Entry 36 by carelaisa at Québec, Québec Canada on Monday, May 31, 2010
Mailed today, May 31st, to rockyhorror1978 so should be there by the end of the week!

Journal Entry 37 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Friday, June 04, 2010
I received this book in the mail today. I am looking forward to reading and passing along! :) Thanks for sharing with me!

Journal Entry 38 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 16, 2010
I have had this book on my "to get" list forever and a day and I'm thankful to now be able to cross it off my list.
At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to get into reading this book. The plot was convoluted and punctuated with gore and violence. As I continued to read the book, I was drawn in and despite the animal cruelty was able to persevere. It was a very interesting book, to say the least. The writing style and plot development matched the oddities of the characters. I did not expect the ending and was very focused on Frances' conversations with his brother and his sense of impending doom.
From a critical point of view, I found this book to be very Freudian in nature: libido v. thanatos, psychosexual behaviour, and the triad of conscious (id, ego, and super-ego). I don't know that I would recommend this book to anyone I know at this time, largely due to the graphic violence and animal cruelty. It is definitely an acquired taste.
Email sent to EmgeeNL and they would like to pass on this book. Emailing next reader.

Journal Entry 39 by rockyhorror1978 at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, August 05, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (8/5/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Being sent to the next reader, Joniboi, enjoy!

UPDATE: Mailed 31 October due to financial constraints. Please pardon the tardiness.

"Anyway -- because we are readers, we don't have to wait for some communications executive to decide what we should think about next -- and how we should think about it. We can fill our heads with anything from aardvarks to zucchinis -- at any time of night or day."
— Kurt Vonnegut

Journal Entry 40 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, December 18, 2010
I have now received it! looks like it's a brilliant book, I will try to get around to it asap, although I have quite a few books to read before this one, but I shall try my best!

Journal Entry 41 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2011
I recently got round to reading this, but I read about 50-70 pages, and realised this isn't the book for me, I thank you for letting me sign up to the bookring, and I'm sorry I didn't read it all!

Journal Entry 42 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/2/2011 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent this book off, it's now in the post! Sent off to Fluffy-Owl!

Journal Entry 43 by Fluffy-Owl at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Saturday, February 05, 2011
Received in the post, thank you!

Journal Entry 44 by Fluffy-Owl at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 07, 2011
Only managed about 40 pages before I had to stop. Didn't like any of it, and there are plenty more books awaiting my attention on my shelves!

Will pass it on as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 45 by Fluffy-Owl at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, March 10, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/10/2011 UTC) at Durham, County Durham United Kingdom

Posting off today to the next in line. Hope it travels well and arrives safely!

Journal Entry 46 by kingfan30 at Corby Glen, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, March 13, 2011
Book has arrived safe and sound, thanks for sharing

22 March 11 - What a strange book. I think the most disturbing was how the main character explained the murders as if it was part of every day life. The animal cruelty did not make for pleasant reading either. A surprise ending, I knew something was not quite right but could not work out what. Will get it sent on as soon as I get the address of the next person.

Journal Entry 47 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/25/2011 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Jozebedee has asked to be skipped so it is now on its way to shovelmonkey1

Journal Entry 48 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Monday, April 11, 2011
Received today - i am sure it got here ages ago but i've not been to the office for ages as i've been out doing building surveys here there and everywhere! Thanks for including me in this bookring and thanks to kingfan30 for sending it on to me. Will start reading it today as i've only got 3 pages of my current 1001 book, "Thursbitch" by Alan Garner to read and there is no way that will last me for a whole commute!

Journal Entry 49 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Holy Shit! American Psycho meets Lord of the flies with a little bit of Countryfile thrown in! It took me one commute to read this book and it may be telling of my own psyche that I didn't actually consider Frank to be that crazy. Eric the dog burner was blatantly bat shit crazy but Frank, despite his slightly odd proclivities relating to the collection of animal heads on sticks and wasps in "future telling" mazes appeared to be eccentric at best. Ok he did have a fairly alarming body count under his belt but he justified it with kind of rationale that implied a kind of out the other side of sanity and into sociopath territory. Anyway, comparatively when you examine his home environment with his dad and his brother and his allegedly crazy mother it's not surprising he was off the normal spectrum. I enjoyed this quick and easy read and it's another one knocked off the 1001 books list.
This book is ready to travel on, just waiting to hear from Tubereader with their address.

Journal Entry 50 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/14/2011 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

This book is now travelling to Tubereader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 51 by Tubereader at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Tuesday, April 26, 2011
The book has arrived safely. As usual, seems that all rings and rays arrive at the same time! Got three books in the last 4 days :-) Going high on my TBR pile and hope to be done with it within a month.

Thanks DitteL for sharing and shovelmonkey1 for sending it to me!

MAY 8TH UPDATE: Quick note to let everybody know that I have started reading this book and I am already half way through!

Journal Entry 52 by Tubereader at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Monday, May 09, 2011
Wow, what a book. I started reading it and I didn't like it at all. I thought I wouldn't give up because it was a bookring and it was short... I am glad that I didn't.

The writing is very appropriate for the story, it grasped me despite my strong disliking of the cruelty on animals and the other murders... And the end was really unexpected... Although I am quite disgusted by the topic, I am glad I have read the book, as it is very well written.

Thanks DitteL for sharing. I PMed nanny60read a couple of days ago but haven't heard back yet. I will try again...

Journal Entry 53 by DitteL at Næstved, Storstrøms Amt Denmark on Wednesday, May 25, 2011
The book is back home. I've no doubt that it has had a fantastic journay. To think that this little book has now visited countries that I've never been to... What a wonderful life it must be to be a bookcrossing book.

Journal Entry 54 by DitteL at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (3/16/2014 UTC) at Herlev bibliotek - bogbyttedag in Herlev, København Amt Denmark

As my family has grown and I know longer have the time or space for as many books as I used to, this lovely book is continuing its journey. Hopefully, it will find a new owner who will have the time to enjoy it.
Safe journey little book