Another Part of the Wood

by Beryl Bainbridge | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 9/5/2007
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 05, 2007
An early BB from my wishlist! Found with another rarity 'Harriet Said...' in the Oxfam bookshop in Woodbridge. Thank you to the unknown Bainbridge fan for passing these on :)

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan at Woodbridge, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 06, 2015
I am taking this out of my BC bookshelf to use as an e-book/blog.

Herewith, my ongoing reading challenge, Phoenix 60p Paperbacks

H.G. Wells - The Time Machine

Edgar Allen Poe - The Murders in the Rue Morgue

Jonathan Swift - A Voyage to Lilliput

This is a fun, a little Phoenix mini paperback, tells part of the story of Gulliver (although not named), captured and befriended by the Lilliputians, and helping them in a war with neighbouring Blefuscu. Some of the satire comes through towards the end, the divisive schism about eating eggs and the exiled 'Big-Endians', and the size of ones heels!

Brief Encounter by Alina Reyes

I guess this is mostly erotic fiction - not a genre I am particularly familiar with! But, despite the confusing circus/labyrinth structure, there appears to be some depth here; the hero searching for his lost love and having to make choices along the way that lead to a sad hermit's end or an equally sad suicide as a rich playboy.

An interesting little read from the surprising and enjoyable Phoenix mini paperback series.

The rest of the series:

...to be found, acquired and collected...

Mar'17 update - will not be collecting or reading any more, in fact these have all been passed on as part of a book-de-cluttering exercise, which is good :)