A Medicine for Melancholy

by Ray Bradbury | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by mikime of Roma, Lazio Italy on 9/4/2007
Journal Entry 1 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, September 04, 2007
From the back cover: “Melancholy can be purged with one flourish of the Bradbury wand. The famous mood-maker has a method – he plunges you so deeply into a more powerful emotion that you can’t be bothered with a puny little thing like melancholy. There’s love n a moonlit garden, shrieking terror on an eerie moor, drunken hilarity in a miraculous suit”.

This is an old, classic collection of Bradbury’s great stories, some of them my favourites. Here is what you find inside:
- In a season of Calm Weather
- The First Night of Lent [one of the “Irish series”]
- The Time of Going Away
- All Summer in a day [another big favourite!]
- The Gift [a wonderful little jewel]
- The Great Collision of Monday Last [another one of the “Irish series”, quite funny!]
- The Little Mice
- The Shore Line at Sunset
- The Strawberry Window
- The Day It Rained Forever [another favourite]

Journal Entry 2 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
This is going to be an international bookring.
The usual rules apply:

1- write a journal entry when you receive it!
2- take your time to read it, but don't forget it on your shelf. Please let us know if you have problems and it's taking you longer than expected (let's say, longer than 1 month...).
3- ask for next person's address when you're about to finish it.
4- make another j.e. (NO release notes please!) when you've finished and are ready to send it, with your comments and ideas.
Most of all: have fun with Bradbury's enchanting world!

Here is the list at the moment (please note that it may change due to "geographical organization"!):

kizmiaz Portugal/Europe
bilbi France/anywhere
LittleWhiteBird USA / USA
tilly77 Italy/everywhere
DevilKitty Italy/everywhere
literarylover USA/everywhere (never replied to messages)
back to me! <-- the book is here!

Jan. 10th: The book is on its way to kizmiaz!
Enjoy!

EDIT 12 March 2009: the ring is closed! Thanks for reading it and letting it travel a whole year! :)

Journal Entry 3 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, January 14, 2008
Got it today thanks mikime.
I'll try to be quick about it but still have two to finish.

Journal Entry 4 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
Ok, how can i say this…? I’m usually pleasantly surprised by Bradburys books but this one didn’t do it for me.
I felt most of the stories were very plain and lacked that usual Bradbury twist, especially when compared with other short stories I’ve read from him.
The only ones that I really liked were Fever Dream and The Town Where No One Got Off all the others came short for me.
I’ll be sending it along later today.

Journal Entry 5 by Moonwoolf from Azambuja, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Thursday, January 24, 2008
It has arrived today!! I'll try to be quick as i can.

Journal Entry 6 by Taelsin from Azambuja, Faro Portugal on Tuesday, February 19, 2008
A great book from a master. I enjoy every moment. Takes us to places far from earth and land us in the midle of our dreams...

Journal Entry 7 by Moonwoolf from Azambuja, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Has you all see, There's a JE that's not mine; it's from my husband, he also read the book.
This is really a great book.
This week the book will travel back to Italy to mickymicky.
Thanks for the sharing and also the sending :)

Journal Entry 8 by Moonwoolf at on Friday, February 22, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (2/22/2008 UTC) at

On it's way to Italy... Good travel!

Journal Entry 9 by mickymicky from Alba Adriatica, Abruzzo Italy on Friday, February 29, 2008
The book is here, thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by mickymicky from Alba Adriatica, Abruzzo Italy on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Thanks for the ring... the book is leaving today towards cross-patch, because tilly77 is too busy at the moment.
Have a nice reading everyone!

Journal Entry 11 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, March 28, 2008
Arrived here today. One down,21 to go. Shouldn't take long!

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 06, 2008
As has been noted before, this is an old classic collection.
Many of these stories I have seen before in other collections. The best ones for me are - In a season of Calm Weather (all time favorite), - The Dragon, - The Town Where No One Got Off, - Dark They Were, and Golden-Eyed (equal favorite) and - The Day It Rained Forever. The Irish series are new to me - old fashioned but charming.
Enough gems to recommend it for me. A few of the more SF based ones now seem overtaken by reality.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Thursday, April 10, 2008
Got an address now, so posting sometime today. Thank you mikime and mickymicky for starting the ring and for getting it here.

Journal Entry 14 by k2005 from Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
received this about a week ago but haven't had a chance to make a journal entry, sorry! will begin to read it tonight because i finally have a free evening.

Journal Entry 15 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, June 07, 2008
Received today !

I'll start it this afternoon (it's my only bookring/ray on my Mt TBR at the moment...)

Thanks for sharing \o/

Journal Entry 16 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Saturday, June 14, 2008
Bradbury is very impressive : he can express so many different emotions/things in only a few pages !

The book will cross the ocean on Monday...

Journal Entry 17 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Thursday, June 26, 2008
The book arrived in my pile of mail after my travels today! I'm looking forward to reading it.
Bilbi, you used lovely stamps on the envelope that I'm going to keep and thanks for the postcard!!!

Journal Entry 18 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Monday, July 14, 2008
I loved the stories. So captivating in so few pages.

The book is on its way to tilly77 now.

Journal Entry 19 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Friday, July 25, 2008
Arrived today, thanks!
I think it's gonna stay with me for a long time... (I am a bit overwhelmed, sorry...)

Journal Entry 20 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Monday, January 05, 2009
I finally read it, thanks for the patience mikime!

It is a great collection of short stories, the ones I loved most are the sci-fi stories!

I'll send the book in a few days.

Journal Entry 21 by tilly77 at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/7/2009 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy

sent to Devilkitty!

Journal Entry 22 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Wednesday, January 14, 2009
The book has arrived, thank you.

Journal Entry 23 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Saturday, February 14, 2009
Done! Nice collection of stories but below my expectations. Actually some I found some quite boring, while those stories about "Martians" and space colonization are amazing and melancholic, reminding me of other Bradbury's masterpieces. Thanks for sharing this book anyway. It's ready to leave, I only wait for the next bookcrosser to send me her address.

Journal Entry 24 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Sunday, March 08, 2009
Going back home! Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 25 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, March 12, 2009
This arrived yesterday! Thanks Devil Kitty, also for the picture of the cute kitten! :)
So, the ring is closed at this point, thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts about it! :)

Miki