Full Frontal Nerdity 1: Big Book of Epic Fail

by Aaron Williams | Graphic Novels |
ISBN: 193328837x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/2/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, September 02, 2007
I've enjoyed the "Full Frontal Nerdity" comic strip about a group of D&D players for quite some time, and when I saw that they'd released a collection I had to order a copy!

Later: Lots of fun, though undoubtedly more so for gamers, as many of the jokes are definitely "in-jokes". [One of the jokes was on me; all along I'd assumed that the fair-haired character with glasses was a woman, but apparently he isn't. While it's true that there seem to be many more males playing D&D than females, every group I encountered had at least one other woman besides me, and most of us were short-haired and bespectacled, so I just assumed... {grin} Apparently during my online browsing I missed the relatively-few strips in which that character mentions "chicks"!]

At the beginning, the authors respond to the concept that gamers have no lives with "dare to have 'no life.' You can always roll up another one, if needed." This pretty much covers the attitude of the authors (and the characters) to gaming; if there is anything else, it's an unwelcome distraction! But they don't limit themselves to D&D; there's a very cute strip in which one character shows up in a Harry Potter T-shirt, on the theory that it's "the key to geek chick action"; the rebuttals of the other characters are priceless. And there's a riff on "Call of Cthuhlu," the role-playing game based on Lovecraft's mythos - funny, and not totally unwarranted, but I still love playing CoC.

[At the time I'm writing these comments, February of 2008, the ground outside is deep in snow from one of the snowiest winters on record, so when I came across one of the strips in this book it had extra resonance: the characters are, for a change, looking out the window instead of sitting around the gaming table, and are commenting on the snow and what it makes them think of: "Christmas carols." "New Year's Eve." "Hot apple cider." And then the fourth says "One-half movement penalty." {snerk!}]

[Editorial note: a few of the strips were duplicated; not sure where that came from, but if you notice it, no, you aren't seeing double!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 04, 2008
In memory of Gary Gygax, one of the creators of the original Dungeons and Dragons game, I'm offering this book for an international bookray; see forum thread here, and reply to that thread if interested!

Bookray instructions:

1. When you receive the book, please journal it, and PM the next person in line for their address so you'll have it ready when you've finished the book. Note: even if you've sent books to that person before, please PM them before mailing this one, to confirm that the address is correct and that they're able to take on a bookring book at this time.

2. Try and read the book promptly - ideally, within one month of receiving it. If you expect to take longer, you can request to be put at the end of the list. If you find you're swamped with other books when the person before you contacts you about the bookring, you can ask to be skipped, and then let me know whether you'd like to be moved down the list or dropped entirely. If you receive the book and find it's taking longer than you'd planned to get through it, I'd appreciate an update in its journal entries or on your profile, just to let me and the other participants know you haven't forgotten it.

3. When you're ready to pass the book along, please make another journal entry containing your comments about the book and stating where you've sent it, and set the book's status code to "travelling". [If you find that you're having problems contacting the next person in line, or don't think you can manage to mail the book as originally agreed, please let me know; I'll be glad to try to work something out.]

Participants in mailing order:
FutureCat [New Zealand]
londonmet [UK]

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Controlled release: The book's on its way to BCer FutureCat in New Zealand, to start the bookray. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Arrived safely in NZ today.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
It's been more than a few years since I've played D&D, but it all came back to me as soon as I started reading these strips. Ah, those long hours hunched over a set of funny-shaped dice, arguing over the minutiae of the rules...

The only problem now is I've added yet another on-line comic to my bookmarks list. No wonder I'm never off the computer!

Will be handed on to londonmet in London (two weeks tomorrow until I leave!!!)

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 6 by londonmet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 21, 2008
And now it goes to me.
Thank you very much.
I look forward to reading this, and when I have I'll pass it on to another BC gamer.

Journal Entry 7 by londonmet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
This was fun, in an unashamedly "by, about and for gamers" sort of way. Some hilarious (if you're a gamer) strips. And Gary Gygax himself appears in one panel.
I agree with you about Lewis being androgynous, by the way. He does look quite feminine in some strips.
Thought the strips got better when they added Shawn the webcam guy - the extra character adds something. Ironically, there seemed to be more physical comedy and scenes away from the gaming table after the webcam was introduced.

Journal Entry 8 by londonmet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Going to lend this to a non-BC gamer friend who likes webcomics. Then got a London-based BC gamer or two in mind for this.

Journal Entry 9 by londonmet at -- Trains, Tube, Buses --, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at -- Trains, Tube, Buses --, Greater London United Kingdom

Looking to pass this on to a fellow BC gamer.

Journal Entry 10 by WistfulDragon from Streatham, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
This looks like a very dangerous book - the type where you decide to peek at the first page and then realise it is 3am and you've just finished the whole book! So far, however, I have managed to reist that peek.
I am assuming you had the Missing Man from last night's meetup in mind as a possible recipient for this one after me, Londonmet - if you were thinking of someone else, please let me know. Maybe I'll be able to pass on his Christmas present and the books that other people brought for him at the same time!
Many thanks for thinking of me - I'm sure I'm giong to enjoy reading this one (and Diomedes may wish to read it too!)

Journal Entry 11 by Diomedes at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 30, 2012
Absolutely wonderful - this is just so much my son, even if he does vehemently deny it (he read it too). Anyone who lives in house with a teenage boy will recognise the "gamers" here and giggle quietly to themselves as they see the cartoons live out in real life.

A thoroughly recommended and superbly observed book.

Journal Entry 12 by WistfulDragon at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, October 08, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (10/9/2012 UTC) at Camel & Artichoke in Waterloo, Greater London United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - WistfulDragon - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading

WistfulDragon

Journal Entry 13 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Looks amusing.

Journal Entry 14 by wingrahar109wing at Farnborough, Hampshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 02, 2013
As a non-gamer I suspect I simply don't get most of the jokes/references here. Mildly humourous way to pass the time.

Journal Entry 15 by wingrahar109wing at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (4/20/2013 UTC) at Norgeshus (BC Convention 2013) in Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden

For the Bookcrossing Annual Convention 2013.
On the book buffet or possibly somewhere in the city.

Hello!
And if you do choose to join, please consider using me, rahar109, as your referring member.
Happy Bookcrossing!