Going Postal

by Terry Pratchett | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 9/1/2007
Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, September 1, 2007
I loved this installment of Pratchett's Discworld series - not least because Lord Vetinari, the all-seeing Patrician of Ankh-Morpork, is on stage quite a bit in this one. He makes condemned-to-be-hanged con artist Moist von Lipwig an offer he can't refuse - take on the job of Postmaster of the city and revive its decaying postal service, or else serve out the remainder of the original sentence [the bit between the drop and the tightening of the rope!].

I really enjoyed this one, from the old-fashioned plot-summaries at each chapter-head (hey, wait, Terry doesn't do chapters - well, I guess he does now!) to the razor-edged conversations between Moist and Vetinari. [My hardcover edition also has illustrations of the various Ankh-Morpork stamps, a treat in themselves!] And the footnotes. And the visit to the library. There's a character who's concerned about the chastity of female *golems*. There's an odd young fellow who's an avid pin collector. And a subplot that involves all of the Discworld deities, including one of my favorites, Anoia, goddess of Things That Stick n Drawers: "Often, but not uniquely, a ladle, but sometimes a metal spatula or, rarely, a mechanical egg-whisk that nobody in the house admits to ever buying. The desperate, mad rattling and cries of 'How can it close on the damn thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?' is as praise unto Anoia. She also eats corkscrews."

Oh, and there's a very nasty villain as well, definitely cringe-worthy.

Throw in some random conspiracy-theory shout-outs, a simply wonderful galloping-off-into-the-sunset scene, and The Golden Suit, and you have a really fine addition to the Discworld canon.

Later: Was delighted to learn that the next Discworld book, due out this fall/winter, brings back Moist von Lipwig, this time in charge of producing Ankh-Morpork's money!

[This is a second paperback copy, picked up from a local charity book sale for release.]

[Edited to add: there's a TV movie of this in the works - hooray! And for more "postal" fun, see this Unshelved Book Club strip.]

Released 13 yrs ago (9/18/2007 UTC) at Panera Bread, 8 Spit Brook Rd. near DW Highway in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I dashed out to buy a copy of the latest Discworld book, Making Money, and decided to release this book at Panera Bread on my way back in honor of the occasion. [Since Making Money features the hero of Going Postal, the unfortunately-named but wonderfully charming Moist von Lipwig, I figured it was a suitable connection.] I left the book on one of the tables out in front of Panera at about 5:15; hope the finder enjoys it!