Messenger

by Lois Lowry | Horror | This book has not been rated.
Registered by rem_HHT-570661 on 8/18/2007
Journal Entry 1 by rem_HHT-570661 on Saturday, August 18, 2007
Hardbound.

Book jacket:

He carried messages for [the people]. It was his job. He thought that when it came time to be assigned his true name, Messenger would be the choice. He liked the sound of it and looked forward to taking that title.
But this evening Matty was not carrying or collecting a message.... He headed to a clearing he knew of, a place that lay just beyond a thick stand of bristly pines.... He needed privacy for this things he was discovering about himself: a place to test it in secret, to weigh his own fear for what it meant.

Six years earlier, Matty had come to Village as a scrappy and devious little boy. Back then, he liked to call himself "the Fiercest of the Fierce," but since that time, Matty had grown almost into a man under the care of Seer, a blind man whose special sight had earned him the name. Now Matty hopes that he will soon be given his true name, and he hopes it will be Messenger. But strange changes are taking place in the Village. Once a utopian community that prided itself on its welcome to newcomers, Village will soon be closed to all outsiders. As one of the only people able to safely travel through the dangerous Forest, Matty must deliver the message of Village''s closing and try to convince Seer''s daughter, Kira, to return with him before it''s too late. But Forest has grown hostile to Matty, too, and he must risk everything to fight his way through it, armed only with an emerging power he cannot yet explain or understand.

Journal Entry 2 by rem_HHT-570661 on Friday, August 31, 2007
I'm passing this one to my friend, Fireyfairy.

Journal Entry 3 by fireyfairy from Fort Wayne, Indiana USA on Friday, August 31, 2007
I haven't read this yet, because British (Folksylady... rofl!) just left this for me in the cottage as a wonderful surprise.

1) Yep. It was Integrated Math.
2) Cool; I know you'll get them back to me ASAP.
3) Thanks again for the rockin' surprise.
4) I still plan to stop by Apt. #2. sometime this weekend... when will you be chillin'?

Journal Entry 4 by fireyfairy at Fort Wayne, Indiana USA on Monday, December 27, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (12/27/2010 UTC) at Fort Wayne, Indiana USA

I thought this would be a great one to pass along as part of KiraNala's YA bookbox! There's nothing of this type already in the box, so it should round out the contents nicely for the next recipient. The Messenger is an interesting book by an amazing author, and should pique somebody's curiosity along the next few stops. :-)

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, March 07, 2011
Taking this book out of KiaraNala29's Teen/Pre-teen/YA Bookbox.

I think this looks like something I want to read. I read another book by this author recently and really enjoyed it: Gathering Blue

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at Goodwill in Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, December 04, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (12/3/2016 UTC) at Goodwill in Woodstock, Georgia USA

Shrinking my piles of books, thanks to a broken water heater we had a flood. This book was safe, but I need to make room for repairs. Vaya con Dios.