On Her Majesty''s Occult Service

by Charles Stross | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BigKat of Bremerton, Washington USA on 8/16/2007
Journal Entry 1 by BigKat from Bremerton, Washington USA on Thursday, August 16, 2007
First let me say that I assumed I wouldn''t like this book at all as I''m not at all a fan of horror and "when the Great Old Ones return from beyond to eat our brains" is definitely NOT my thing. It arrived with something else and was on the top of the pile so I figured I''d give it a few pages before giving up and registering it unread strictly to release. I''m so glad I gave it those few pages as it turns out to be one of the best things I''ve read in quite awhile.

Imagine if you will Ian Fleming and Len Deighton mixed with a heaping serving of Lovecraftian Occult Horror Fantasy seasoned with Scott Adam''s Dilbert cartoons and garnished with quotes, references and homages to all the greats. It''s brilliant! And not only does this volume contain several novels and a novella but there are also scholarly expositions of the plot elements included. I had a ball reading it. I know just enough mathmatics and computer programming to appreciate the references but not enough to assess their accuracy. I think my favorite bits were when the main character would refer to things in terms of their values. I found myself describing a dog park we''d been invited to as being a park for apartment sized values of dogs after reading the book. I''m going to loan this one to a friend and when he gives it back I think I''ll book ring this one before it finds a place in my permanant collection.

Journal Entry 2 by BigKat from Bremerton, Washington USA on Monday, November 03, 2008
This one has come home now and as I expected my friend loved it. He liked it so well he went out and got another series by Stross which we've both read and enjoyed now. I'm currently reading Stross from the library. This is the best of his that I've read but the rest are pretty darn good as well. Time to see if there's interest in a ring.

Journal Entry 3 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2008
It has arrived! Adding to Mnt TBR

Journal Entry 4 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, March 30, 2009
A quick update: Llednyl and I exchanged pms (back in Dec)and she is in no hurry for the book so I had ppostponed reading a bit. I am planning ot start after I finish the books I am presently reading.

Journal Entry 5 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, April 17, 2009
I am not making the progress I had hope to on this book.

I didn't take it on vacation with me. I should be finishing a book today or tomorrow and plan to concentrate on this book once I do.

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, May 11, 2009
I was flooded with other rings and rays. I will pm Llednyl and see if she want me to send it to her now or wait until I can finish it.

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 19, 2010
I do not know how many times I have started reading this book only to have to set it down because I get flooded with other rings/rays.

I am giving up and sending it on to Llednyl. I hope she enjoys and I hope BigKat will forgive me for keeping so long. I suspect I would have really enjoyed this if I had ever managed to read more then the first 50 pages over and over and over again

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, September 20, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (9/21/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will take to the Post Office after work

I ended up working late all week. I finally made it to the PO on 9/27/10

I mailed two packages to Llednyl. The Delivery Confirmation Numbers: 0309 3220 0001 9885 2062 & 0309 3220 0001 9885 2086 I am not sure which package has the books and which is goodies.

Journal Entry 9 by Llednyl at Chesterland, Ohio USA on Sunday, October 03, 2010
Came in the mail a couple days ago - I wasn't expecting this book in addition to the cookbook so it was quite a nice surprise! I'm trying to read a bunch of "spooky" books this month and this fits right in with the theme. Thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by Llednyl at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, January 06, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/6/2011 UTC) at -- BookRing, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Now on its way back to BigKat!

This was hard for me to get into at first - I loved the concept of the books, but some of the computer jargon went right over my head. I fraternize with a lot of "geeks," but I can't really claim to be one myself. Therefore, I couldn't read more than a few pages before having to put it down. But I warmed up to it after awhile - I liked The Jennifer Morgue better than The Atrocity Archives, and really loved the short story Pimpf. Ultimately I really enjoyed the scientific twists Stross employed on classic occult/fantasy/horror themes. Thanks so much for sharing - another book I'd never have heard of if it weren't for BC!