Cooked: From the Streets to the Stove, from Cocaine to Foie Gras

by Jeff Henderson | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by midwinter of Tucson, Arizona USA on 8/12/2007
Journal Entry 1 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Sunday, August 12, 2007
tbr

Journal Entry 2 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Friday, October 03, 2008
I saw an ad on Food Network pushing a new show featuring Chef Jeff and I remembered this book was on my TBR pile and I rushed it to the top. I ended up devouring it in two days, staying up late to finish it by the light of a mini book light while the rest of the house slept.
It's not an easy book to read at times - lots of coarse language and rough situations, lots of ego and pride, but Henderson's story is riveting, and I couldn't help cheering for this tough kid to finally catch his big break. He's come a long way, and I can wait to see the Food Network show and find out what he's been up to since the book came out.

Bookray shipping order:
realityshowgirl, Washington, USA
skoobyz, California, USA
azuki, Florida, USA
SimpleCee, Maryland, USA
sunfi, Ohio, USA
nikel127, Germany
iwanttobeinital, Italy
mrbaggins1 South Africa (int'l)

Update Sept 16, 2009 - I just heard that they're going to be making a movie based on this book and Jeff's life. Will Smith is playing Jeff.

Journal Entry 3 by midwinter at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, October 27, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/24/2008 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

mailed for bookray.

Journal Entry 4 by realityshowgirl from Longview, Washington USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
I got this book through a book ray. I can't wait to read it and send it on.

Journal Entry 5 by realityshowgirl from Longview, Washington USA on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Will be on way to California later this afternoon. Excellent Book.

Journal Entry 6 by wingskoobyzwing from San Andreas, California USA on Saturday, January 24, 2009
Rec'd earlier this week. I have been looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 7 by wingskoobyzwing from San Andreas, California USA on Thursday, January 29, 2009
On it's way to Florida today. I liked the book overall. I was a little disappointed in the fact that it didn't focus as much on his current life situation as I would have liked. I know he had it rough but even in the end when he is talking about the good places that he worked he is still coming across as everyone is picking on me. That's why I would have liked another chapter to go more into the positive things he's doing in more detail.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Thursday, February 12, 2009
Gosh I hadn't had a ray/ring for a while and all of a sudden they pour in. Four in a week... I will do my best to keep this moving.

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing from Miami, Florida USA on Monday, March 30, 2009
Sory it has taken longer than a month, but I received a bunch of rings and with my trips I didn't get much time to read them.
However, I was really happy I got to read this book. Very interesting throughout, from his street life to jail life to chef stardom, the story keeps flowing without a bore moment. The street slang was unfamiliar to me but didn't really hamper my understanding.
This biography brings home the importance of good influence in a child's upbringing. I hope the author and more people will continue to be a positive force in encouraging children to live a true and happy life.
Thanks again for sharing the book and wnw mailing this off to SimplyCee.

Journal Entry 10 by SimplyCee from Baltimore, Maryland USA on Tuesday, April 28, 2009
I have the book and I finished reading it.

May 1: Sent off to sunfi.

Journal Entry 11 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 09, 2009
Caught in the mail today. I have a number of rings/rays ahead of this but I'll get to it as quickly as I can. Thanks SimplyCee for mailing this to me and thanks midwinter for including me.

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 01, 2009
This is the story of an individual who is able to turn around his life. At a young age involved in petty crimes its only a matter of time before he's caught. As he grows older the crimes become less petty and more severe and so does the punishment. Finally being sent to prison, he's offered an opportunity to save his own life and the direction that he's headed. There is a message of redemption, making the right choices, and breaking of the "victim" mentality. To further the point he's become a public speaker, has won numerous awards and I think he even has a show on the Food Network.

Thanks midwinter for including me and thanks SimpleCee for sending this to me. I'll try to have this on its way to nikel127 today.

Journal Entry 13 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, June 01, 2009

Journal Entry 14 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Monday, June 01, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/1/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Just mailed off, it should arrive at its next stop in the next few weeks. Thanks again for including me!

Journal Entry 15 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, June 09, 2009
arrived safe at my house, just finished my last BookRay so I can start here tonight.

update:
Great read, thanks for sharing with me.

Journal Entry 16 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/29/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did.

Journal Entry 17 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Friday, July 17, 2009
Arrived today- thanks!

Journal Entry 18 by iwanttobeinital from Belvedere Marittimo, Calabria Italy on Wednesday, August 19, 2009
I also would have liked to hear some more about Jeff's current situation and what he is up to now.
A great story of how things can come full circle - and all my best wishes go to him.
I found the language at times a bit difficult to understand - but I think that is because I am a European 8-)
Ive PM'd mrbaggins1 and will be sending this on it's way as soon as I get an address.
Thanks for sharing 8-))

Journal Entry 19 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Thursday, September 17, 2009
Arrived today through the post together with two other books. Luckily I'm last in line for this 'ray because I'm in real trouble with my reading! ZA had a postal strike which resulted in no books arriving for close on a month and now I'm inundated!

Journal Entry 20 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Quite a amazing book on how this guy turned his life around by sheer guts and determination. A worthwhile and inspirational read. Thanks for sharing - I'm contacting midwinter to find out what I must to with this.