Open Secrets: Stories

by Alice Munro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by beeofgoodcheer of Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on 8/11/2007

Released 12 yrs ago (8/11/2007 UTC) at Sheffield Meet @ The Showroom in Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom

Journal Entry 2 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, August 11, 2007
In Open Secrets Alice Munro evokes the devastating power of old love suddenly recollected. She tells of vanished schoolgirls and indentured frontier brides and an eccentric recluse who, in the course of one surpassingly odd dinner party, inadvertently lands herself a wealthy suitor from exotic Australia. And Munro shows us how one woman''s romantic tale of capture and escape in the high Balkans may end up inspiring another woman who is fleeing a husband and lover in present-day Canada. The resulting volume resonates with sorrow, humor, and wisdom and confirms Alice Munro''s reputation as one of the most gifted writers of our time.

Beautifully written, but achingly sad, I can generally only read one of the stories at a time because they are so full of sorrow, longing and emotion. Highly recommended!

Journal Entry 3 by kittiwake on Saturday, August 11, 2007
To be returned to Beebarf when I finish it.

Thanks.

Journal Entry 4 by kittiwake on Saturday, September 01, 2007
At the beginning of the month I read "Friend of My Youth", another book of short stories by this Canadian author. I enjoyed the stories in "Open Secrets" all the more because they were slightly more upbeat, with some of the characters managing to find some happiness in their lives.

A lot of the stories in both books are set in the Ontario towns of Walley and Carstairs, and members of the same families turn up in stories set decades apart, which helps to draw you into their world. My favourites were "A Real Life" and "A Wilderness Station".

Journal Entry 5 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, January 20, 2008
This book is now back home, thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by Niksoki at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, November 09, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (11/9/2019 UTC) at CoffeeLink, Neptune Marina in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taken to the monthly meet up meet up. Will leave on the shelves if No one picks up.

Journal Entry 7 by wingsoffitta1wing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Sunday, January 19, 2020
Taken from the shelf at Coffee Link.